Croatia & T2L: has anybody visited recently?

AndrewB

Visit site
Has anybody visited Croatia recently: are they still demanding to see a T2L on entry? Or other evidence of EU VAT paid status on older boats?

I'd like to go north to Dubrovnik in the next couple of weeks and have applied for a T2L for my 25 year old yacht, but by the time it is sorted, probably it will be too late this year. I'm wondering if I will run into trouble if I go without.

andrejv

Visit site
I sail in Croatia every year for a few weeks, but nobody asked me for T2L on entry. They will ask you for it only if you will leave the boat in a marina for a month or longer. And officially there is no need to have the T2L to prove that VAT has been payed. You can prove that also with the ORIGINAL invoice, from which has to be clearly seen, that the tax has been paid.

Therefore, EU residents should always have on board some kind of proof that the customs and/or VAT have been paid for the vessel in question in one of the Member States. The proof includes T2L document or original invoice, tax administration certificate, or other respective document proving the VAT has been paid.

You can see the complete explanation from Croatian custom office here (english translation at the bottom):

http://www.carina.hr/Carina/Jahte.aspx

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We know of four boat in croatia this year ,
Two British Greman and a Canada , none has far has I know have been asked for any proof of VAT , but has said above , it's best to have some proof available if asked

AndrewB

Visit site
Thanks guys. I don't have a copy of the original invoice from 25 years ago, so no immediate proof of VAT payment. Sounds like I'd better stay away from Croatia until I've settled matters with HM Customs.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks guys. I don't have a copy of the original invoice from 25 years ago, so no immediate proof of VAT payment. Sounds like I'd better stay away from Croatia until I've settled matters with HM Customs.

Andrew , you boat is quite old , in the nices possable way :) I wouldn't worry too much , but offcause that's okfor ME to say ,are you thinking this or next year ?

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I went last year and will be there later this month; I have no T2L nor shall I be getting one. None is needed for clearing in or out as customs are no longer involved but I was informed that they can demand evidence of VAT at any time and that a T2L was valid proof - I have just never heard of it being demanded and have asked many in my Italian marina who crossed the Adriatic but no one has been asked - some had never heard of the requirement.

My yacht is 'deemed VAT-paid' by virtue of a 1981 construction year but I have to admit I was intimidated by the circular from Croatian authorities posted in my marina's harbour office decreeing that every vessel visiting Croatia HAD to have a T2L document. The fact that I cannot trace anyone who has visited being asked for it makes me wonder if at last the true nature of the document percolated through the official mentality; that it was never intended for such an application and that a visiting yacht should have no need to carry one.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Our boat is in Tivat Montengro, 25nm south of Croatia,
and our cruising ground is mostly south Croatia

2014 season, we have passed customs in Cavtat 10 times in and out,
in 3 or 4 occasions they asked for proove of VAT, I gave them a copy of a very old Invoice from the previous owner, zero %VAT (they don't understand one yota from it) and I could alway's pass
boat is 24 yo, and purchased in europe / Italy
this season we did 6 customs passages in and out, and was never asked for any VAT proove,
they (Police) do "alway's" check the official passengerlist (get one at the harbour master offcie) , and the vignet !

never ever anybody asked me for T2L doc,
afaik you only need aT2L doc if the boat is younger than xx year, and purchased outside europe

AndrewB

Visit site
To my amazement HM Customs issued a T2L in under a week, so I'm free to go to Croatia. I don't imagine, even if I should be asked, that a photocopy will cause any problems.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
To my amazement HM Customs issued a T2L in under a week, so I'm free to go to Croatia. I don't imagine, even if I should be asked, that a photocopy will cause any problems.

The heatwave here in mid-Croatia finally broke after two months of 35 degree scorching sun. We've just had two days of torrential rain but now the sun is out again and the pressure is building as another high comes through. The 7 day forecast is for sun but with daytime temperatures at 25 degrees. That's my kinda summer!

Enjoy Croatia :)

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We've got a new boat coming to Croatia next May, can we pay the VAT in the uk before it comes?

This depend on which country the boat arrives at first , if it is been commission in the UK then best to pay it there , if France tHen it there.
I sure this is the case , someone please put me right if I am given out the wrong info .

macd

Visit site
We've got a new boat coming to Croatia next May, can we pay the VAT in the uk before it comes?

Depends in part who you're buying it through:
if an EU company in the business of selling yachts (or anything else), then you'll probably pay them a gross price which will include VAT, which will eventually go to wherever they're registered;
if it's more of a one-off procedure, other procedures may apply. You'd need to say more about the circumstances;
if an import from outside the EU, VAT should normally be paid in the country of arrival in the EU, as Vic wrote.

MYS Yachting

Visit site
Dear Cazzann,

I'm not sure if you got reply to your question yet and if you still need one (sorry,I'm new to this forum), but as long as your new boat will be "EU goods", which means VAT will be paid somewhere in with in EU before it arrives to Croatia,you'll be fine.
And as long as you have some proof of that you'll be fine as well.
I'm not sure if you plan to bring your boat from UK,or import boat to Croatia from outside of EU,but be aware that our,Croatian Vat on the purchase of a yacht is 25%.

I hope this was helpful,but please let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,Maja