Crisis, help urgently needed.

Plevier

Visit site
The batteries are gel. is that any different?

Can they be flushed clean and refilled with acid? (I have 60 litres of battery acid).

Gel batteries normally have a pressure relief valve in to operate at slight positive pressure. With luck they will have kept the water out. Normally a rubber cap on a little spout kind of thing.
No there is no way of emptying and refilling a gel battery.
Give the outsides a good wash of course.

fisherman

Visit site
In re drowned engines I drowned a Yamaha 8B in 1987, washed it off, started it, and used it for about two weeks each year until it gave up in 2006, I think the water jacket pretty much rotted away.

Avocet

Visit site
The only success I've ever had cutting tyres has been with an air hacksaw. If you can't get access to compressed air, I think they sell electric versions (?sabre saws?). You'll need a metal cutting blade and plenty of lubrication. Punch a hole through the tyre to start with, so you can insert the blade initially.

clyst

Visit site
It's all gone quiet . Whats the state of play ? is she still afloat Is she now water tight ?

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
The fenders in Newlyn are car tyres with a c 12in square wood beam through them, floating. Bit easier than your plan.

The hole is to go through the periphery of the tyre so that they lay flat against the dockside. A 12" square hole could be even more of a challenge (but that's not what you meant is it!).

I have some 3 metre lengths of Ø30 bar (bought in anticipation of a job that never materialised).

A Ø10 hole across the diameter each end, a bolt through same, a large plate inboard of that and then a shackle each end around the bar.

The whole lot suspended each end from the dockside. This weekend will be a busy one!

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
It's all gone quiet . Whats the state of play ? is she still afloat Is she now water tight ?

Yes thanks, she's still afloat.

It seems she has suffered some additional damage during the trauma as she needs pumping around once every two hours (but not a lot).

The other half of the family (my ex and her lot) emptied a lot of the wrecked innards last weekend which now sits on the after weather deck.

A steam cleaner has cleaned off a lot of the oil (which wasn't that bad except in the engine room). I will visit this weekend with a 60 gallon barrel of used luboil (drained from a regular service on the V12 KT19 previously mentioned). The starter motor has been removed and dried out but I don't know if Mark has tested it yet. The injectors have been exposed but not yet removed. The inlet manifolds have to be slackened to drain them. The sump has been drained. Biggest job is to detach the drive between the engine and the gearbox as the latter is partly dismantled (to tackle the sized clutch problem) and could not accept rotation. I seem to remember there are 24 bolts securing the drive from the flywheel and some of those of course are underneath. The hand crank rotating device seems to have seized so its going to be a big bar job!

Hopefully we can sleep on board as B&B is an expensive drain. (I have ordered a hammock from ebay - new experience!).

The worry now is leaving her whilst Mark returns to money-earning back home in Inverness. As the battery charger is probably defunct, any automatic bilge pumping may have to be mains powered. There are two such pumps in the fish hold but the electrics have suffered from immersion.

Forumites keep asking for photos. She now looks from above just as she did before she sank. The tween weather deck and shelter deck space was horrendous with smashed and upturned galley equipment, sofas, tvs, tables - you name it but this has now been cleared. To a large extent, this is inconsequential as the B&Q and MFI elements needed to be ripped out anyway and replaced with "proper" stuff.

There was a "Whisky Galore" moment when I found some carrier bags with liquid goodies - all intact! There was also an upsetting moment when I found grand-daughter's electric guitar together with its associated upturned amp and speakers.
That did matter.

I (think I) have attached a picture of the water tanks which formed the main basis of my navigation through the hold when flooded. The ss cages were great as attachment points and the two bilge pumps were below in between them.

More to follow when I figure out how to clear my photo dumping area.

Last edited:

fisherman

Visit site
The hole is to go through the periphery of the tyre so that they lay flat against the dockside. A 12" square hole could be even more of a challenge (but that's not what you meant is it!).
QUOTE]

No. The beam goes through where the wheelrim does, average car tyre about 2ft diameter, keeps you well clear, and in the right place all the time regardless of tide. In Newlyn they run up and down on vertical chains, but you could just moor them to the boat.

Edit: I haven't explained it very well, 12 ft beam, push 20 tyres over it.

Last edited:

fisherman

Visit site
It looks like there is a slip across the dock, does it have a wall you could lean on? If so ask them to let the dock fill at HW and run her aground against the wall, save worrying about the ingress. You might also be able to access the leaks from outside if they drop the water a bit.

Last edited:

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
It looks like there is a slip across the dock, does it have a wall you could lean on? If so ask them to let the dock fill at HW and run her aground against the wall, save worrying about the ingress. You might also be able to access the leaks from outside if they drop the water a bit.

Did that - answer "No"!

Plan is to take her into the estuary mouth and beach her. We will research that this weekend if time.

Kintail

Visit site
Graham, just short of two weeks ago you were asked one very big question, a question beyond most of us. At the age of 73 and with your resources it truly looked like mission impossible. However big questions bring out big men....and you are just that. Thanks for your example.

Telephant

Visit site
I, no doubt like many many others, have been sat quietly on the sidelines believing the Andromeda had sailed its last but hoping not. I was shocked to come back online and see the progress made and she being above water again, and so pleased for everyone concerned - not just for the family but those who have offered positive ideas, suggestions and support from the forum.

This is an amazing story of tenacity, and a positive outlook. Post #188 mentions making some money back on writing articles, instead this would make a fitting subject for a Hollywood movie, with the ups and downs of emotions, drama, hope failing and then the obligatory happy ending, albeit she is not yet sailing into the sunset....

I wonder if Graham does look like Harrison Ford?

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Graham, just short of two weeks ago you were asked one very big question, a question beyond most of us. At the age of 73 and with your resources it truly looked like mission impossible. However big questions bring out big men....and you are just that. Thanks for your example.

I seem to be receiving too much credit! Alright, I did the exciting/foolish/dangerous bit, but my son has worked like a slave actually refloating her and starting to clear up the chaos. The carnage below decks was incredible with smashed and waterlogged furniture and appliances.

That is not as serious as it sounds as much of the fitting out was not what I (or any other yottie) would call seamanlike!

Clean slate rules!

I just hope we can get the engine running this weekend - it's waited too long really.

Last edited:

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I, no doubt like many many others, have been sat quietly on the sidelines believing the Andromeda had sailed its last but hoping not. I was shocked to come back online and see the progress made and she being above water again, and so pleased for everyone concerned - not just for the family but those who have offered positive ideas, suggestions and support from the forum.

This is an amazing story of tenacity, and a positive outlook. Post #188 mentions making some money back on writing articles, instead this would make a fitting subject for a Hollywood movie, with the ups and downs of emotions, drama, hope failing and then the obligatory happy ending, albeit she is not yet sailing into the sunset....

I wonder if Graham does look like Harrison Ford?

I did suggest to Tom Cunliffe that he might like to have a crack at it but he came back negative (=realistic!) with respect to the tv companies.

TradewindSailor

Visit site
Great news with the starter motor and charger!! If the motor doesn't turn over it may be because the starter motor is now too week. I hope not, but it's something to bear in mind.

I'm sure that I am just one of many looking forward to a successful engine test.