Crinian Canal - Fairly large boat

Fire99

Visit site
Greetings all,

I've had a bit of a 'google' (other search engines are available) and i've not found a too definitive answer so I'd appreciate people's experiences.
My (Trader) boat is fairly large. Just over 50ft overall 15ft + fenders wide and pondering a little trundle up the Crinian canal as part of a trip. Some people at the marina have said it would be a bit of a squeeze. I'm pretty confident in close quarters manoeuvres though I have a bow thruster but no stern thruster (just for info sake)..

So anyone here with a pretty big mobo done the trip without too much in the way of fender-bending?

cheers,

Nick

Seastoke

Visit site
Greetings all,

I've had a bit of a 'google' (other search engines are available) and i've not found a too definitive answer so I'd appreciate people's experiences.
My (Trader) boat is fairly large. Just over 50ft overall 15ft + fenders wide and pondering a little trundle up the Crinian canal as part of a trip. Some people at the marina have said it would be a bit of a squeeze. I'm pretty confident in close quarters manoeuvres though I have a bow thruster but no stern thruster (just for info sake)..

So anyone here with a pretty big mobo done the trip without too much in the way of fender-bending?

cheers,

Nick
Hi we did it in a sealine 42/5 we paid 2guys to open all the locks for us , we got held up for 3 days as there was not enough water to fill the locks . A weird expeirence.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Cut and paste from the Skippers guide:

NAVIGATION MAXIMUM CHANNEL DIMENSIONS Length 26.82m (88ft) Width 6.09m (20ft)Air Draft 28.95m (95ft) *Depth 2.7m (8ft 10in)*Please add 10cms (4in) to your normal draft as craft sit lower in the fresh water of the canal than they do in salt water.Due to possible water level changes, customers with a draft of over 2.2m are advised to contact the Canal Office or Sea Locks at least 24 hours in advance to confirm passage will be possible.

Skippers guide here https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/wp.../Crinan-Skippers-Guide-Web-Version-Aug-17.pdf

Fire99

Visit site
Cut and paste from the Skippers guide:

NAVIGATION MAXIMUM CHANNEL DIMENSIONS Length 26.82m (88ft) Width 6.09m (20ft)Air Draft 28.95m (95ft) *Depth 2.7m (8ft 10in)*Please add 10cms (4in) to your normal draft as craft sit lower in the fresh water of the canal than they do in salt water.Due to possible water level changes, customers with a draft of over 2.2m are advised to contact the Canal Office or Sea Locks at least 24 hours in advance to confirm passage will be possible.

Skippers guide here https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/wp.../Crinan-Skippers-Guide-Web-Version-Aug-17.pdf
Thanks.. I've got this info in the pilot book but I'm curious of people's practical experience rather than the technical absolute max sizes.

Fire99

Visit site
We went in a 40 footer and there was too much water coming into the top lock that er couldn't open the gates either Never noticed any tight spots. Most expensive canal per mile though!
It is flippin expensive I must admit. I think it's about £360 or so for me to do a return trip. It's not a definite decision :cool:

Fire99

Visit site
Hi we did it in a sealine 42/5 we paid 2guys to open all the locks for us , we got held up for 3 days as there was not enough water to fill the locks . A weird expeirence.
There'll be just the two of us if we do it so we'll be busy wee souls. :D

penfold

Visit site
There's no reason you should have any difficulty, the canal was built to allow puffers through, they're 66' by 20' and steer like shopping trolleys with a burst castor. You will be going through on your own so having at least 4 crew would be advantageous, 1 onboard to manage lines and 2 ashore for running the locks and lines.

dunedin

Visit site
Our boat is a bit smaller than yours, but 50x15 ft is not big by comparison with many of the boats we have seen going through, so that shouldn’t be an issue at all. Means you will probably get the locks to yourself which makes things simpler.
Depth is often the limiting factor with sailing yachts. Ignore the official “depth” as often shallow spots or shortage of water. But yachts of circa 2m generally do it fine - want to be a bit less for twin propellor mobo - and don’t go too close to edges.

Certainly worth booking a “pilot” to assist with locks. And be aware currently seem to be not doing sea locks at low tides to save water. Make sure fenders are low down.

Fire99

Visit site
That's great.. Thanks for all the info.. The pilot book for the area is handy and gives overall maximums etc but it's always good to hear from people who have either done it or close to those who have. I like to get a bit of balanced perspectives on this...

ctva

Visit site
You mention that it is expensive for a return trip but remember that you get 4 nights each way so how much is 8 nights in a marina with a different view and pub each night?

Take your time and enjoy the places along it.

PS, try to arrive at the sea lock within a couple of hours each side of HW due to a water shortage (I kid you not).

penfold

Visit site
There's a water shortage because the canal is administered by twits; the same twits think that closing the canal for whole days and opening short hours is a good way to build custom.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
You mention that it is expensive for a return trip but remember that you get 4 nights each way so how much is 8 nights in a marina with a different view and pub each night?

Take your time and enjoy the places along it.

PS, try to arrive at the sea lock within a couple of hours each side of HW due to a water shortage (I kid you not).
Never mind the value of the nights - what about the diesel cost down to the MoK and back!

Solwaycruiser

Visit site
Thanks folks.. Certainly some food for thought.. Sounds perfectly doable. :cool:
I was up that way in Motorhome just over a week ago. Beneteau ST 52was going through at the time (slowly). No one on board was getting off to help at the locks so the guy from the canal was very busy ! it did have stern as well as bow thrusters which was needed due to the wind/ windage. Think it would be fine without the stern thruster provided you have someone competent ashore who is quick with the lines.