Crew Needed for Delivery Trip From Brixham to Poole

Jurgen

Visit site
If tides and conditions are right its 3.5 hours at low 20's so no real drama. It will take us 5 ish hours to get to the Hamble but tbf that is 100nm

We've crossed Lyme Bay several times between Poole and Brixham in our Nimbus - at only ten knots - takes us a good six hours:eek: The fuel used on this passage is rarely less than 150 litres, but this can be quite a bit more if I don't get the tides right. I suggest you try to get past the "Bill" and St Aldams Head on an east going tide. Well worth getting it right with diesel being so costly.

Philip

Hi Phillip,

Quite right re the tide. Have planned to hit Portland with at least 2 knts of East going tide which should blat us along nicely towards the Needles.

would be[/QUOTE]

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Similarly if he starts chuntering "ready about" "lee ho" or whatever it is they shout every time you make an adjustment to the wheel ignore him. Send him down below to make another cup of tea :)

I've always found it's the arrival of the tea that precipitates someone saying 'Ready About'. Then either the cup falls over in the process of tacking, or the ensuing sail or nav tweaking takes just enough time for the tea to get cold!

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Factor 30 even!

Son had a mock 11 plus this morning so whilst waiting I walked down to Hope's Nose. Looks like the first day of spring is living up to it's name Andy! You should have a good trip if the view up the coast was anything to go by... Here comes summer! :encouragement:

tn_DSC_0843.JPG

Jurgen

Visit site
Just wanted to say a BIG thank YOU to Colin (Colhel) for helping me bring Evenstar from Brixham to the Hamble yesterday.

An early start, we left Brixham @6.30 just before sunrise accompanied by the Brixham fishing fleet. The sunrise as we crossed Lyme Bay made the long winter seem a distant memory.

We aimed for 11 miles off Portland assuming the recent weather would have left the seas a bit lumpy, as we approached we could see that conditions were much better than anticipated so came in close about 3 nm.

A quick blast to Anvil point in calm seas presented Old Harry in beautiful sunshine.

Once across Christchurch Bay we were struggling to see the Needle, the thought of fog had occurred to me an sure enough visibility dropped from 6 nm to 50ft. After 10 mins the fog cleared and the Needles came in view.

Thanks to Mille Boo for joining us as we came into the Solent and taking some pictures. At this point the fuel gauges were looking a little the worse for wear but we chunntered along at 15 nts to the entrance of the Hamble then pottered on down to Swanick.

Looking forward to the next 4 months in the Solent and plan to spend most weekends on the boat so please drop in if you see us in your marina or give us a took if you spot us on the water.

Best wishes for the season ahead

Andy, Alison, Archie, Willow and Evenstar3

colhel

Visit site
The pleasure was all mine Andy. As someone who loves boating whatever the form of propulsion, whenever an oppurtunity like this arises it's always going to be a temptation. Another thing I thought was refreshing was so many others wanted to help you but as I asked first I got the chance :).
Here's some pictures

1st the customary wake shot as we left Brixham,
2nd the sun,
3rd it's a new camera (all the gear no idea) a glimpse of Portland and an idea of sea state across Lyme Bay
4th Skip
5th Thank You Millie Boo Too

Jurgen

Visit site
Thanks for the pictures Col, the sunrise is my favourite by a country mile and really summed up the spirit of the trip.

Great pic of Millie Boo as well.

Hope you had a easy trip to Mercury, was blowing a bit when I left but fortunately the staff at Port Hamble put me into a very large berth