Crew Collection

onesea

Visit site
Looking to get a member of crew collected and returned home, Devon/ Cornwall (depending on how far we get) to Southampton area.

Challenge is she will be travelling with a dog, Labrador sized.

Plan had been to use a nephew how ever car insurance 😳🫣😣🥶😖😨

Best suggestions please. Presently contacting local taxi companies to see what they quote.
Hiring a taxi for the day would be ideal with mileage charge because then we can end up wherever and know she is going home. Hire car is another option but dog and cleaning charges are a concern, plus he’s used to a guard to keep him in the boot.

He can travel on seats but he does have hair.

Does some one know a driver who fancies a day out lol

onesea

Visit site
It is a consideration however with 4 stops, a dog that has not done the train, a 5 hour journey.
Plus the danger of strikes its £70 plus at-least £30 in taxis each end.
I was hoping for a little bit more someone would come up with a nicer solution.

I was hoping someone here had had a similar dilemma and had a company to recommend.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
A taxi from Cornwall to Southampton is going to be way more than the train. One-way car hire might work if your starting point is a sizeable place with car rentals. Falmouth or Newquay maybe.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
It is a consideration however with 4 stops, a dog that has not done the train, a 5 hour journey.
Plus the danger of strikes its £70 plus at-least £30 in taxis each end.
I was hoping for a little bit more someone would come up with a nicer solution.

I was hoping someone here had had a similar dilemma and had a company to recommend.
Not trying to be unhelpful, and I am not a dog person so travelling with a dog on a train ain't my field. But I have returned from Saltash by train and researched other stations last year....so depending on how hard the skipper wants to get near a station no need for a taxi. And maybe dog owning friends meet near Southampton....

onesea

Visit site
There is an thought in all this to keep options open, a fair wind and the plan is to push west. Atleast across Lyme Bay, much depends on weather.
Some where between £200& £300 comes to mind.

As skipper I have some say about where we end up. It’s my other half being the one going home and me continuing on she deserves a stress free end to her week.
The plan is next time she joins me it will be for 2 weeks and I hope to be further North 6 to 10 hours drive further north depending on weather. In the 3 weeks in the middle.
She might join me in the middle for a weekend depending where I get.
Then I have to bring the boat home, in reasonable time.

Particularly with present weather we are not certain how realistic we are being in our sailing ambitions so keeping things very open.

The dogs are another big factor, one I am confident will adjust to long passages. The other maybe not so much, mal de mer on a 40kg dog could cause considerable delays. He might get over it he might not, the other doesn’t seem to care.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
FWIW Lat year I drove to Saltash and dumped the car in advance and trained it back. Sailed down and had a week's holiday ashore then sailed back, before train down again to collect car. Bit of a palaver but the train was about £100 return and then the fuel for the drive. Investigating car hire for the week was more pricey and less convenient. However this summer we plan to avoid needing a car and will see what happens. I think the train is a great fall back option, particularly for keeping options open. Car hire in the south east of England is one thing but go to Cornwall and all the logistics change. I investigated hiring a car for the day in Weymouth at short notice.....would have had to get a taxi to Dorchester. Non-starter.

onesea

Visit site
I travel from Devon to Southampton several times a year, not sure where you get the five hour train journey from, unless it is Penzance?
Door to door From Google, we have 1 change to make in Southampton and one after.
The taxi from Southampton would be £50.

@FairweatherDave I had not thought of dumping a car down in Plymouth. It might be doable.

However waiting on quotes from a couple of local taxi firms.

I might even try one down Plymouth way. To see if they are interested.

srm

Visit site
Have taken different dogs sailing over the years, setter, border collies, and a bloodhound. None were ever any problem and the setter experienced a very rough passage. If your dogs can manage the boat and car a return train journey should not be a problem for them.

Mudisox

Visit site
My avatar is quite happy on the bus. And with my OAP card, it's free. Dartmouth to Portland and reverse often done, and there is a connection to Poole {X53?}. It just takes time, but enjoyable experience.

Neeves

Visit site
The dogs are another big factor, one I am confident will adjust to long passages. The other maybe not so much, mal de mer on a 40kg dog could cause considerable delays. He might get over it he might not, the other doesn’t seem to care.

One reason for not getting attractive suggestion is the in your opening post you mention 'Labrador size', doberman guard dogs will be 'that' size. Is the breed of your dog so unusual you cannot mention it...

Your opening post started off with one dog

and now you are mentioning more than one dog (+ wives??? :)

Photos might help

Jonathan

onesea

Visit site
One reason for not getting attractive suggestion is the in your opening post you mention 'Labrador size', doberman guard dogs will be 'that' size. Is the breed of your dog so unusual you cannot mention it...

Your opening post started off with one dog

and now you are mentioning more than one dog (+ wives??? :)

Photos might help

Jonathan
Labrador sized, he a mixed bread, Heinz 57 or Mongrel what ever you wish describe him as. Type of dog really don’t know, a hound? People like to try and guess. He’s Labrador size and friendly, travels well by car.

He’s not XL Bully, Rottweiler, Doberman etc etc if that what your getting at.

I do mention two dogs, one is staying with me on the boat, one is going home with my other half. No wife just a patient partner.

I am not certain what photos will achieve?

@srm the big one on a bad day pacing, the deck barking, drooling, pawing, wimpering. He makes it quite clear he’s not settled, soon settles once back in flat water.

ylop

Visit site
on a bad day pacing, the deck barking, drooling, pawing, wimpering. He makes it quite clear he’s not settled, soon settles once back in flat water.
I don't have a dog, I quite like dogs but have never understood why you would want to own one given the cost and hassle that accompanies them. They are like children without the fun creating them or prospect of them being around to reciprocate their love in your old age! Presumably you don't want to see them suffering? Therefore the obvious answer seems to be not to bring a dog that doesn't like rough water on passages where there may be rough water. That has the added bonus that you then only have human logistics for your crew. Of course some people don't like to put their dogs in kennels etc - so its not a perfect solution I guess you could take my opening sentence and change dog for boat!

Tranona

Visit site
I have had 3 labradors. The first one was happy being on the boat, but I think that was more to do with having small children at the time and they just loved being together. Next one was reluctant so rarely came and current one positively dislikes even walking down the pontoon. Only way for everybody to be happy is to recognise the dog's preference and organise your life accordingly.