Credit where it's due

pentane

Visit site
Having scaled back from a 40' twin diesel flybridge to a 24' single petrol cruiser, I was in desperate need of a new canopy.

After trawling though this forum I contacted half a dozen companies, by email and follow up phone calls, even providing an image of what I'd got and what I wanted.

The lack of response was so astounding I began to wonder if I was speaking a different language - can't be ar$ed doesn't even come close!

So I perused these pages again and JB Yacht Services came up - I gave Jim a call and within a day or two he came back with a design and price.

He kept me well informed throught the process AND stuck to his word with timing, even coming down today in -3'C to fit the cover, so as I can get on with doing the cylinder heads over the break.

Well done Jim - a true professional who stands out among his peers for the right reasons for a change!

AndieMac

Visit site
A number of UK boats seem to have the covers gradually sloping up from the screen, via a couple of levels, to just behind the helm, and then start sloping down to the transom, with the impression the covers seem loose.
I prefer the way yours is done for both practicality and appearance.

Nice job!

rickp

Visit site
So I perused these pages again and JB Yacht Services came up - I gave Jim a call and within a day or two he came back with a design and price.

He kept me well informed throught the process AND stuck to his word with timing, even coming down today in -3'C to fit the cover, so as I can get on with doing the cylinder heads over the break.

Well done Jim - a true professional who stands out among his peers for the right reasons for a change!

JB is the man for covers - used him for a variety of jobs and never been let down.

jfm

Visit site
After trawling though this forum I contacted half a dozen companies, by email and follow up phone calls, even providing an image of what I'd got and what I wanted.

The lack of response was so astounding I began to wonder if I was speaking a different language - can't be ar$ed doesn't even come close!

Nice cover, and looks great in the black colour

One bit of background, and I'm not making excuses for anyone, but they're all mad busy. I needed a cover for my tender this time last year, when my boat was at Essexboatyards, and I had a deadline of March 2009 when it was going on a ship to France. I rang loads of suppliers and they were all mad busy, had no time to consider my request. The (very good) local cover maker was booked up solid for 10 months and in desperation I told him I'd pay his normal price plus £1000 cash on top, if he'd make it within a month or so, working evenings etc. He said he was already working nights and while he appreciated the offer he still had to say no

So this probably explains your lack of response. Also I suspect it takes them an hour to respond to quote requests and a lot of that is wasted time, so some will choose not to respond for that reason (indeed, you were going to be a non-order for 5 of them, by your own admission!)

Hurricane

Visit site
I've used Jim a few times.
Most recently for a large bimini for JW.

You were lucky, Jim is normally very busy and it can take a while to get jobs out of him.
His quality, though, is worth waiting for.

jfm
I nearly got Jim to make a Walker Bay cover for me but I decided to take the challenge myself and adapted an old JetRib cover using my own sewing skills!!!

I'm very pleased with this bimini though.
Its a bit of a struggle getting the canvas on and off at the begining/end of the season but the design works well. It all folds away very quickly against the radar arch. Much better than any of the manufacturers ones.

It looks from the photos that there isnt much space under it but the photo was taken with a wide angle lense and there is masses of room underneath.

IMG_4965Medium.jpg

IMG_4958_Small.jpg

IMG_4957_Small.jpg

IMG_4963Medium.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
jfm
I nearly got Jim to make a Walker Bay cover for me but I decided to take the challenge myself and adapted an old JetRib cover using my own sewing skills!!!

Ah yes I remember you telling me that! I ended up getting a cover made in France, in black sunbrella, plus a cover for the Yam. Absolutely fantastic job, really pleased with it, cost about €1100 ex vat - I'll get you some pictures sometime