Cowes week

flaming

Visit site
2 weeks to go.

Anyone else here going?

And is it just me or are the fleets a little light...? Currently 141 boats in the IRC classes, last year there were 200.

Will be interesting to see how many last minute entries there are!

Judders

Visit site
Not doing it. The courses are poor, one race of three hours a day is dull and it is two days too long.

I'm a right grumpy bugger when it comes to Cowes Week.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
I'll be there, contessa 32 fleet with 11 entries this year, slightly down on last year but still healthy enough for some close racing.

Not done cowes for a few years and looking forward to it.

Last edited:

TallBuoy

Visit site
Do you really have 43 boats entered in the Sunsail class? You're going to need that beer after the first mark rounding if you all start together!

Yes there are 43 entries but not all on every day. Some clients book for the whole week, others just for one or two days. So one physical boat can be several entries in the regatta.

flaming

Visit site
Yes there are 43 entries but not all on every day. Some clients book for the whole week, others just for one or two days. So one physical boat can be several entries in the regatta.

Sorting the entrants in class by sail number and counting individual sail numbers, I make it 24 boats. Down a bit from the peak, but still pretty good.

flaming

Visit site
Isn't enough room in the Solent for everybody to do that...

I'm doing 4 days in white group, as usual.

It's only 2 classes for one day currently. Plenty of days available for every class in Black group to have at least 1 two race day.

MissFitz

Visit site
Not doing it. The courses are poor, one race of three hours a day is dull and it is two days too long. I'm a right grumpy bugger when it comes to Cowes Week.

Only done it once (last year) but this was exactly my impression. Back on the dock by 2.30pm most days after a 10.30am/11am start, great if you like endless pub sessions & your wallet will stand it at Cowes prices, otherwise underwhelming. Doing the Ushant race instead this year, think & hope that will be much more rewarding - not to mention cheaper!

TallBuoy

Visit site
Sorting the entrants in class by sail number and counting individual sail numbers, I make it 24 boats. Down a bit from the peak, but still pretty good.

There is a clearly less corporate money around this year generally. I work with another company who has advised of a reduction in bookings for Cowes Week this year.

TallBuoy

Visit site
AIUI, the bribery act has had a negative effect on corporate entertainment.

Yes that is true. However there are some companies take a whole boat for themselves, as a team building exercise. Outside Cowes week, other regattas are based on a charity fundraising theme which make it easier for guests to accept an invitation.

flaming

Visit site
I've just noticed that the skipper of one of the boats in our class has QC after his name on the entry list.

Memo to self, don't protest that boat unless you want to spend all evening in the protest room....

thesaintlyone

Visit site
Going as a "spectator" with a couple of mates but have contacted Island SC in the hope of being able to crew for anyone shorthanded there Thurdsday 11th to Sunday 13th if anyone needs a hand :)

savageseadog

Visit site
I've just noticed that the skipper of one of the boats in our class has QC after his name on the entry list.

Memo to self, don't protest that boat unless you want to spend all evening in the protest room....

and have your wallet emptied