Cost Per Trip

Bouba

Visit site
Did you get a competitive offer from a different supplier?
I have tried in the past...and they are always virtually identical...the only difference is they all seem to have a slightly different schedule of work for each given year (which makes a real apples to oranges comparison)...but these people are the official French agents (although they seem happy to subcontract to local companies depending on how busy they are)...so I have to assume that their schedule of work is the closest to the American manufacturers...and even if you pick a different schedule, all you are doing is putting off the bill till next service

jakew009

Visit site
I have tried in the past...and they are always virtually identical...the only difference is they all seem to have a slightly different schedule of work for each given year (which makes a real apples to oranges comparison)...but these people are the official French agents (although they seem happy to subcontract to local companies depending on how busy they are)...so I have to assume that their schedule of work is the closest to the American manufacturers...and even if you pick a different schedule, all you are doing is putting off the bill till next service

I still can’t understand what they are possibly doing that can cost 6 grand. I wonder how much of the work doesn’t actually need doing. It really would be worth getting a proper itemised quote.

To get to that sort of labour bill they must be planning on stripping down the raw water cooling side, after cooler heat exchanger etc. Does it even need doing? How many hours have you done since it was last done?

How old is the engine out of interest?

Bouba

Visit site
I still can’t understand what they are possibly doing that can cost 6 grand. I wonder how much of the work doesn’t actually need doing. It really would be worth getting a proper itemised quote.

To get to that sort of labour bill they must be planning on stripping down the raw water cooling side, after cooler heat exchanger etc. Does it even need doing? How many hours have you done since it was last done?

I do have a fully itemized quote...but it’s in French

thejonesey

Visit site
Having been without a boat for a while, I can say that the act of owning a boat (and knowing it is there) gives me a lot of pleasure. We live over the shop so knowing that we can occasionally escape to her always makes me happy.... and then of course there are those priceless days, evenings and escapades! So my cost per day also includes the ones when I am not on board!

Bouba

Visit site
Having been without a boat for a while, I can say that the act of owning a boat (and knowing it is there) gives me a lot of pleasure. We live over the shop so knowing that we can occasionally escape to her always makes me happy.... and then of course there are those priceless days, evenings and escapades! So my cost per day also includes the ones when I am not on board!
I feel the same...there is no logical reason to own a boat...you can always hire...it’s all about pride of ownership. Boys love toys... and even when we are not playing with them...we like to know that they are in our toy box

Bouba

Visit site

The engine is seven years old...there’s been a delay since my last service due to covid...otherwise I have had it serviced every year regardless of hours

jakew009

Visit site
The engine is seven years old...there’s been a delay since my last service due to covid...otherwise I have had it serviced every year regardless of hours
This is clearly said tongue in cheek but at your prices it would be cheaper to buy a new engine every 7 years and not bother servicing it at all.

Bouba

Visit site
This is clearly said tongue in cheek but at your prices it would be cheaper to buy a new engine every 7 years and not bother servicing it at all.
It doesn’t cost this much every year (although it is NEVER cheap)...it all depends on the schedule of work...some years it’s all little jobs...other years big jobs

Bouba

Visit site
Although I would like to say...excellent use of man maths👍🤔😜...that one might come in handy some day

BruceK

Visit site
I now live on my boat and got a free lift out this year so cost per trip has for once become exceptionally economical. My Axiom shows just over 1000nm logged and I have put in around 2000 litres being quite prepared to just chug about at displacement speeds. (Not that I have gone far mind, I just stay out for long periods hopping from anchorage to anchorage. So far this year its cost about 4.50/nm but will probably go double that by the EoY, and nearly 2 years in still loving this new liveaboard lifestyle.

Boat2016

Visit site
Have they give you a breakdown of what they are doing? It seems a ridiculous amount of money. A 450hp truck costs less than 10% of that to service.
Apart from the base engine the marine engine equivalent is very different to a truck engine

Boat2016

Visit site
yep, in many ways the marine version is simpler. No emissions crap for a start…
I would do some research if i were you.
One task that’s easier is draining the oil, you don’t get to pull the bung over a pit with your boat, also impellers that are fitted in the most awkward to get at places. Have worked in both sectors and can assure you its not simpler.

jakew009

Visit site
I would do some research if i were you.
One task that’s easier is draining the oil, you don’t get to pull the bung over a pit with your boat, also impellers that are fitted in the most awkward to get at places. Have worked in both sectors and can assure you its not simpler.

Ok not going to argue. I don’t think anyone pulls sump plugs anymore, it’s just sucked out.

The point was I don’t see how a single 7 year old 450hp engine can possible cost 6 grand to service, but maybe I am in the wrong business :cool:

Bouba

Visit site
Ok not going to argue. I don’t think anyone pulls sump plugs anymore, it’s just sucked out.

The point was I don’t see how a single 7 year old 450hp engine can possible cost 6 grand to service, but maybe I am in the wrong business :cool:
Single engine….plus a small generator