Cost of replacement 20hp engine?

NickC

Visit site
Can anyone suggest the cost of replacing a 20hp engine and mountings?

Doesn't necessarily have to be brand new, maybe a reconditioned engine would suffice but also need mountings made and would need to be plumbed in etc.

Just looking for a ballpark figure to get some idea is this is a viable project or not.

Thanks,

Tranona

Visit site
New, budget £5-6k depending on what boat it is in, what engine you are replacing and how much of the ancilliary bits you can re-use and how much work you do yourself. Used engine about half that IF you can find a good one. Almost nobody throws out good diesels. If you have a fairly modern existing engine you may be able to find a reconditioned one, or a used one that is a direct replacement.

More information on existing boat/engine would help refine the advice.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
New, budget £5-6k depending on what boat it is in, what engine you are replacing and how much of the ancilliary bits you can re-use and how much work you do yourself. Used engine about half that IF you can find a good one. Almost nobody throws out good diesels.

I differ slightly. I think a fair number of people move up a size or two and have reasonable engines going spare as a result. However, I think this happens much more at the 1GM10 -> something which will pull the skin of a rice pudding level than at the 20hp level. I wouldn't discount the possibility, but I'd want good evidence of the reason for its removal. A nice new 20hp lump in the engine would be very suspicious; a nice new 35hp engine much less so.

prv

Visit site
I differ slightly. I think a fair number of people move up a size or two and have reasonable engines going spare as a result. However, I think this happens much more at the 1GM10 -> something which will pull the skin of a rice pudding level than at the 20hp level. I wouldn't discount the possibility, but I'd want good evidence of the reason for its removal. A nice new 20hp lump in the engine would be very suspicious; a nice new 35hp engine much less so.

I have one data point to support this idea - Kindred Spirit's previous owner replaced the 1GM10 with a 2GM20 to get more power, as far as I know nothing wrong with the original.

Pete

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, I replaced a 1GM with a Nanni 14 and sold the old one to the first in a long queue of potential buyers. Pot luck though in finding a good engine when you want it as they sell very quickly.

Nudge

Visit site
I completed this project last winter. Keen to replace my aging Yanmar, I acquired a 20 year younger replacement that needed some minor work which I carried out myself. The new engine dropped straight onto the mounts of the old one. Only activity was lining up, installing the newer (smaller) switch panel, and replacing the front rubber exhaust as the new engine exited to port and the old one to starboard. ( I had some new exhaust hose )

Tidied up and sold the old but very reliable and sound engine at slightly under the market rate.

Total cost - just under £1000. This was mostly achieved by being clear about requirements - age, condition and almost identical engine, then waiting or "wanted ad-ing" your way to what you need. That might take a bit of patience but definitely can be done.

Nudge

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
Can anyone suggest the cost of replacing a 20hp engine and mountings?
Depends if it's like for like. Our re-engine project cost around £2000 over and above the price of the engine, with that cost including exhaust and fuel parts, propeller shaft and stern gland, also boatbuilder/boatyard services to lift in and out and carry out the modifications to engine bearers.

sadlerbob

Visit site
Look at Marine Enterprises he has loads of engines from Bukh engines with very low hours to yanmars etc. Sean Brackstone is the owner.
http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Look at Marine Enterprises he has loads of engines from Bukh engines with very low hours to yanmars etc. Sean Brackstone is the owner.
http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/

had a look at their website. Pretty much confirms what I said in post#2. £5k for a new D1 30 and between £2.5 and 3k for used 20-30hp, or less for an old type such as a Bukh, or seawater cooled Volvo 2003 or Yanmar.

NickC

Visit site
Existing engine has been completely removed along with beds and mountings. Haven't been able to get in contact with previous owner yet to find out why engine was removed, maybe just taken out to use in another boat for some reason.

NickC

Visit site
I completed this project last winter. Keen to replace my aging Yanmar, I acquired a 20 year younger replacement that needed some minor work which I carried out myself. The new engine dropped straight onto the mounts of the old one. Only activity was lining up, installing the newer (smaller) switch panel, and replacing the front rubber exhaust as the new engine exited to port and the old one to starboard. ( I had some new exhaust hose )

Tidied up and sold the old but very reliable and sound engine at slightly under the market rate.

Total cost - just under £1000. This was mostly achieved by being clear about requirements - age, condition and almost identical engine, then waiting or "wanted ad-ing" your way to what you need. That might take a bit of patience but definitely can be done.

Nudge

Very interesting, so if approached correctly it can be done for a reasonable budget.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Existing engine has been completely removed along with beds and mountings. Haven't been able to get in contact with previous owner yet to find out why engine was removed, maybe just taken out to use in another boat for some reason.
Probably an economic move. You would not have paid anymore for an old engine on the grounds it needed a new one. So previous owner may have sold the old one for a few bob.
By tidying up the space the job is easier for you and makes the venture more attractive
The space would seem bigger & possibly cleaner etc
So possibly not a bad move by someone trying to shift a boat that a possible buyer may reject due to cr..ppy looking engine space. Added to that you are not going to knock him down following a survey that suggests engine is old

Tranona

Visit site
Boat is 28ft, apparently they were originally fitted with either Bukh 10 or 20 hp or Yanmar 15 hp. Have also seen mention of 24hp being fitted.

The actual design would be helpful as there are recognised ways of fitting replacement engines in some boats. Is there any stern gear or stern tube? Have the bonded in bearers been removed and are there any other engine related bits in the boat such as fuel tank, controls, exhaust and water intake? starting from scratch with none of these is a much bigger job then just fitting an engine. bukh 20 hp are usually easier to find because many people are taking them out to replace with more modern engines, but the downside is that spares are very expensive, although they are easy to work on compared with some others.

ianj99

Visit site
Very helpful, thanks.

Also check out Marine Power Solutions. http://marine-power-solutions.com/prices.html

Their MP321, 3 cyl 21bhp is £2800 + vat & delivery. You can assess what else may be required by comparing the position of the feet, exhaust and gearbox flange.

I am very pleased with their MP446, 2.2L 46bhp model which was almost a direct swap for my ancient Perkins 4108.
I think there is a 10% discount available for orders received this month.

mawm

Visit site
Hi NickC. I have just put in a new Beta 20 into a 29ft yacht. Engine plus all the bits plus manufacturing a mount for the fridge compressor, a manufactured exhaust elbow, a new exhaust system, and a remote oil filter was NZD 18000. Thats about GBP 7500. I thought I had got off lightly until I got a bill from the guy who modified the companionway and bearers for NZD 4000. Anything marine in NZ is charged a premium. He really did very little and there is not much I can do as the mechanic subcontracted him.

The new engine is really good, so far, and cruises at over 5 kn at 2500 rpm.

NickC

Visit site
Also check out Marine Power Solutions. http://marine-power-solutions.com/prices.html

Their MP321, 3 cyl 21bhp is £2800 + vat & delivery. You can assess what else may be required by comparing the position of the feet, exhaust and gearbox flange.

I am very pleased with their MP446, 2.2L 46bhp model which was almost a direct swap for my ancient Perkins 4108.
I think there is a 10% discount available for orders received this month.

That's great, thanks Ian, gives me a good idea of expected budget. Have to admit though I have never heard of MPS engines before, I would have some concern about buying something away from the normal standard marine engine manufacturers. Do they totally build engines from scratch or are they based on one of the larger manufacturers engines.