Coronavirus: Delaying launch? New precautions?

dom

Visit site
Certainly than here in Spain, despite a lockdown tighter than a gnat's chuff, we're looking good for the number one spot but the Americans impressive fearlessness appears to have ensured them that honour.

Or Sweden, where, schools, cafes, restaurant, etc. all remain open. Epidemiologists there point to the uncertain science.

Time will no doubt tell

[163233]

Visit site
Or Sweden, where, schools, cafes, restaurant, etc. all remain open. Epidemiologists there point to the uncertain science.

Time will no doubt tell

It rather depends what they're doing instead, S Korea mostly remained open as well.

Daydream believer

Visit site
With all these lockdowns I wonder if the police have noticed any change in the movement of drugs & have been able to scotch some county lines movements. Good if they have, but probably too busy to take advantage.

Last edited:

D&T

Visit site
I wonder what marinas will do regarding boats that can't get launched?. Will they still charge the full rate whilst out of the water, or revert to an "on the hard" contract. The yearly cost of a boat in the water in a marina is a lot more than a boat on the hard.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Certainly than here in Spain, despite a lockdown tighter than a gnat's chuff, we're looking good for the number one spot but the Americans impressive fearlessness appears to have ensured them that honour.
Rankings based on number of cases mean nothing, because testing regimes vary so widely. Plausible estimates for the UK are currently from 12,000 (confirmed by testing in people who have needed medical help ) to 30m (Oxford epidemiological model). Basically the more you test the more you find.

Resolution

Visit site
Anyone name another success story?
Hong Kong has done OK so far despite the huge amount of travel to and from mainland China over Chinese New Year. My son is living there so I desperately hope that they continue safe.
It seems that most Asian countries learnt something from the SARS outbreak.

arto

Visit site
I relaunched a few weeks back this doesn't look so smart now.

I'd big plans for this summer. An extended period of leave from work, head from the south coast to the Hebrides for the summer, have various friends join from time to time, visit all those places I've been meaning to for the last 20-odd years. I've bought the CCC sailing directions, Antares charts and other bits and pieces and spent lots of time daydreaming/planning.

I now suspect the best thing to do is cancel for this year and try again in 2021. Whingeing about not being able to go sailing seems a little feeble given the pain and anguish that a lot of other people are going through. Looking on the bright side, I now have even more time for planning.

ryanroberts

Visit site
It's a tad galling for me as this would have been my first season and also I am a liveaboard with my other boat on brokerage, so am staying with friends. Sohvi is safely tucked up on a pontoon. A marginal existence at anchor or mooring buoy that relies on closed leisure services is probably not ideal right now.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Had my boat epoxied a few years back, now sits in the water all year with a lift-out each spring for anti-foul and anodes.

So she's in the water (good sheltered marina in Pula, Croatia), but as there are 600km and at least 3 country borders between me and the boat nothing will happen until this is over.

Sails and bimini are off and batteries are disconnected so I think she'll be fine.

I think I'm going to have to kiss this season goodbye.

PS: Local boatyard (South of Munich) seems to be gearing up to launch boats and place them on their moorings. Don't know if they will be told to cease and desist - nothing is on the lake yet ....

Unbenannt.JPG

Last edited:

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
Having in the past the had the tribulations of keeping a boat on a mooring and in a marina, I must admit to feeling quite smug having made the choice to now keep my boat in my back garden. Although I do offer my sympathies to those curtailed by the shut down.

matt1

Visit site
Probably all "working from home"

Well it's not just business, it's local authorities too (who you would think the govt could better control). Having orde
In Portsmouth QHM would rather we didn't use our boats:-

LNTM

And I asked Hampshire Police Marine unit about paddleboarding (solo obviously) out to my boat and moving her to a marina for a lift out and received a polite "no"

Although I can pay the marina to go and get her

JumbleDuck

Visit site
PS: Local boatyard (South of Munich) seems to be gearing up to launch boats and place them on their moorings. Don't know if they will be told to cease and desist - nothing is on the lake yet ....
My aunt's in SW Germany and from what she says life goes on much as usual although with significant precautions and a LOT of testing.

eddystone

Visit site
My dilemma is not whether I can go to my boat but whether I can leave it having launched before the lockdown. Sitting on a swinging mooring with at least 400 metres to either bank I only need the occasional trip to Waitrose probably until the water tanks empty. My exercise is to go for a row - not sure I’m comfortable going for a sail. I’m assuming if I reach the stage staying on the boat is not viable I can drive home (240 miles away) but I would probably ring the police and ask them first