Cornish Yawl info wanted

G

does anyone have any info/specs test reports etc on Cornish Crabbers Cornish yawls. I am considering one for next year but can't get details from anywhere.
also can the centre board version be fitted with bilge keels to aid drying out. They appear to be just bolted on on the bilge version and I think the hull is the same in both models (apart from the centre board case)

G

I would recommend that you give the makers, Cornish Crabbers, a ring in their premises at Rock. 01208 - sorry, forgot the number. They could not be more helpful and have also just set up a brokerage arm so might well have news of a Cornish Yawl that would fit your specifications.

Zagato

Visit site
11 years later after the original post there is still little information on them. The Crabbers Association is VERY quiet also unlike the Shrimper forum.

I will also ring up Cornish Crabbers today and hopefully get some info which I can post on here for any future interested parties unless anyone knows anything about these pretty boats.

2214.jpg

Last edited:

Zagato

Visit site
Spoken to Crabber and one of the guys there suggested trying their Crabber Club for info http://www.cornishcrabbers.co.uk/index.cfm/boat/Press.Details/news_id/89

He cant remember much about them dates/numbers made but said they stopped making it as the Crabber 24 sail set up was easier to handle for most people over the Yawl rig. He said very few where made...

Can't see why the rig would be difficult to use, and a mizzen is a really useful sail to have :confused:

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
As you know, I've got one. I'll try to write up a bit more tonight, but I'm not really sure what it is you want to know. Got any specific questions?

I believe about fifty were made. Ours is number 33, and was built in the winter of '92/'93.

Supposedly they stopped making them because potential customers were intimidated by the extra string involved in a mizzen. Which is complete rubbish, you pretty much set it and forget it, but it's impressions that matter when you're selling something.

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
It would be nice to know when they were made, numbers (have they got individually numbered plaques), some appear to be bilge, others drop keel, I think CC said they have a different hull to the Crabbers, would be nice to see an old brochure if they did one, old production photo's, technical drawings etc and maybe any significant trips made by a Yawl.

Hopefully we can unearth a bit more information on them. It appears to be the ideal boat for me in a few years time :D

prv

Visit site
Found in Brest, so they can cross the channel :)

Course they can - I took Kindred Spirit to Cherbourg last year, and will do the same in September weather permitting. Our previous owner lived on board for three years in the Med and the French canals.

The review by PBO when they came out describes them as "a proper little ship" and more suitable for going offshore than the Crabber 24 (which would have been the flush-decked version at that point I think). Not quite sure what they're basing that on, but it's what they said.

Pete

prv

Visit site
It appears to be the ideal boat for me in a few years time :D

It just so happens that KS might be up for sale in a few years' time :D

Not just yet, but my parents will want to move to something smaller and simpler in due course, and I would like something with longer legs to cruise further afield in limited leave time.

Want to get the benefit of all the work I've done to her for a year or two yet though.

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
Suzanne was stolen from Mylor in 2008. Found in Brest, so they can cross the channel :)

I did wonder Dylan... You're not really going to get very far in such an obvious rare boat unless the idea was simply for transport abroad - I would have chosen the same for a pleasant passage :D

It just so happens that KS might be up for sale in a few years' time :D

Sounds good to me Pete.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
It would be nice to know when they were made

Early to mid 90s, basically. Not exactly sure when they started - possibly late eighties. The first Yawl was sold a few years ago; there are adverts still drifting around the Web, so if you can find one that lists her build date that'll be when they started.

numbers (have they got individually numbered plaques)

Ish, but they're fairly insubstantial pieces of sticky-back brass sheet with numbers scratched on. Mine was tucked in among the paperwork rather than attached to the boat, though I have now nailed it back on to my new clock & barometer plaque.

They do have sail numbers though, somewhat in the style of a turn-of-the-century fishing boat. Eg "CY33". I guess it's possible that a boat might have a second-hand sail with the wrong number, but it seems unlikely as there's not exactly a big market.

some appear to be bilge, others drop keel,

I think the majority are centreboard. This involves a case in the cabin; reasonably disguised by putting a table on top but does preclude a double berth.

Not sure "bilge keel" is an accurate description of the other type (which I have). She's essentially a long-keel boat, with a couple of fairly small bilge fins bolted on the sides. Not sure how much they add to the hydrodynamics, but they work very well indeed for drying out. The bottoms of them are level with the bottom of the main keel, so you're firmly planted in all four directions. The angle of drag of the keel happens to perfectly match Bembridge beach, so you dry out dead level there :)

I think CC said they have a different hull to the Crabbers,

There have been several different Crabber 24s over the years; I had the impression that the hull moulding of the Yawl was common with one of them, though I may be wrong. The deck moulding is unique, with the angular cabin top and the aft deck over the counter to step the mizzen on.

would be nice to see an old brochure if they did one,

I don't have a brochure; not sure if they do them. As you've said yourself, they don't really do much in the way of marketing material. There was a boat test in PBO or one of its sister magazines; you can buy a PDF of it for a few quid on this site.

old production photo's, technical drawings etc

Never come across any. I suspect the only "technical drawing" would be the designer's lines and sail plans - not really much else worth drawing, they're pretty simple boats.

I think Crabbers do have the original sale documents for them on file - my Dad popped in to see them once when he was in Rock, and they looked out the original invoice for KS. Not sure why really, we have the original buyer's copy among the papers.

maybe any significant trips made by a Yawl.

I count living on board for three years as fairly significant :). Not all that adventurous though. Never heard of any epic voyages; it's fair to say she's probably not the sort of boat you'd choose for the money for long trips.

A guy went round Great Britain in a 24 the other year.

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
Last edited:

Zagato

Visit site
Well maybe I will. Unfortunately you cannot get all the info from adverts/articles

Greta CY1
Sea Holly CY4 1989
? CY5 1989
Riff Raff CY6
NellieB CY9 1989
Annabelle CY10 1989
Moana 1989
Sarah Jane CY14 1989
Suzanne CY25
Idle Hour CY28 1990
Annie 1990
Penny Black 1990
Kindrid Spirit CY33 winter of 92/93
Emily Anne 1993
Eileen Kate CY35 1993

2 x 1989
2 x 1994 with no more info...

It appears from other info that production started in 1988.

Right, that's enough anorak madness, great way to avoid kids dinner though, look I havn't got any food dripping of my head for a change!!

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Another thing worth noting is that the headsail arrangement was originally one big staysail from the end of the bowsprit, but many boats now use separate staysail and jib. I'm not sure if this was offered as an option by Crabbers or was always an owner modification. I prefer the two; it looks better and it gives you more flexibility. In windy conditions I'd rather have the jib furled away and the staysail properly set, just in front of and balancing the reefed main - instead of a half-rolled sail way out on the tip of the bowsprit.

Most boats have a bermudan mizzen, but KS's previous owner converted her to a gaff mizzen, which I think looks better. It possibly works better than the bermudan, in that you can peak it up to get it board-flat when using as a steadying sail under engine as I often do - not sure how you'd do that with a triangular sail as it will always have some belly in it. The mizzen gaff also provides a beautiful place to hang the ensign :)

Pete

prv

Visit site
Greta CY1

Ah! That's the one I was thinking of. Yes, she was the original. Used to be moored at Bursledon although her owner there has since sold her. Not sure where she is now. I did exchange a couple of emails with him, asking about some rigging details when we first got KS.

Remembering my rigging questions reminds me that I have a PDF of the original "manual", a few typed and hand-drawn pages. Can send you a copy if you're interested?

I've started writing my own set of instructions on the nuances of using the rig, for when we eventually sell KS. I reckon having them to hand might reassure a potential buyer who's worried that he'll find the rig too complicated :)

EDIT: If you're trying to compile a comprehensive list, may be worth knowing that Kindred Spirit was originally called Fair Maid.

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
Pete, yes I would be interested in copies of your info and will ask the contact on the Crabber site if he has anything for Yawls maybe even a brochure.

My Mizzen has a triangular sale and yes when fully tight it does bellow out slightly but will hold the boat straight into wind when anchored, however I think making it into a gaff set up sounds a very good idea. Many put a boom on already instead of the fixed bumpkin with the larger Drascombes.

I notice that the later Crabbers have backstays fixed about half-way down the cockpit length (not sure if they are called backstays!) does the Yawl have them, if so you obviously need to slack them off on each tack :eek: to let the boom swing out but what if you are running before the wind with the boom full out, I just cannot see how it is very practical or do you just use them in a blow? Once tacked it would all have to be pulled in again otherwise it would end up in the drink, not sure I understand there use properly!

prv

Visit site
I notice that the later Crabbers have backstays fixed about half-way down the cockpit length (not sure if they are called backstays!) does the Yawl have them, if so you obviously need to slack them off on each tack :eek: to let the boom swing out but what if you are running before the wind with the boom full out, I just cannot see how it is very practical or do you just use them in a blow? Once tacked it would all have to be pulled in again otherwise it would end up in the drink, not sure I understand there use properly!

Yes, running backstays.

According to the designer (I had an email from someone who sailed with him), they are not necessary for the safety of the mast, unlike some older designs. Nevertheless, I'd feel uncomfortable sailing in any breeze without them - like any gaff rig, there is no permanent backstay, just a slight sweep aft to the shrouds. Their stated purpose is to increase luff tension on the jib - without them the mast shifts forward a fraction and the tension in the forestays is reduced.

Yes, it's another thing to handle in a tack, but not onerous. Originally I think they had ordinary cleats, but KS's have jammers on them like a dinghy mainsheet, so you just give it a tug as you pass through the wind. I can handle jib and staysail sheets and the runners all on my own when single-handed.

When beating, all you need to do with the old one is crack it out of the jammer. If you're further off the wind you need to give it more slack, and it hangs forward against the shroud with the tackle coming under the boom. Sometimes I go up the river with a light wind behind me, gybing from one side to the other round the corners. Then I unhook the runners from their chainplates (they have carbine hooks on the bottom) and stow them against the shrouds on both sides to keep them out of the way for the frequent gybes.

They never dangle in the water, although I lengthened the tackles so that they could reach it if required, for use as an MOB hoist.

Pete

Last edited:

Zagato

Visit site
Many thanks for the manual link Peter, interesting and very similar to the Drascombe rig.

Eileen Kate has pm'd and is now on the list - thank you.

For a copy of the brochure. See hear...

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your enquiry on the Cornish Yawl . All my brochures are original manufacturers brochures.

I have an original black & white brochure dated December 1988 of 6 pages showing:

1. Description. Silhouette drawing of yacht. Photo of yacht sailing.

2. 2 photos of yacht sailing. Drawing of hull/decks/sail plan. Cutaway Profile Drawing of hull/deck. Drawing of Accommodation Layout. Dimensions.

3-4. Specifications.

5. PriceList/Order form.

6. Order form.

Price for scanned copy of brochure is £12.00

Pay by PAYPAL:

Log on to https://www.paypal.com/ Enter my email address: enquiries@yachtbrochures.co.uk as the account to pay and follow the instructions on Paypal to send the payment of £12.00 Sterling.

If you do not have a Pay Pal account, you can set one up FREE. You can then use your debit or credit card. There is no fee for you to pay - I pay a fee to receive payments to my account.

Pay by CHEQUE: (UK only):
Send Cheque with copy of this email to:

Mr M C Davies, 3 Parkwood Avenue, Wivenhoe, Colchester, Essex. CO7 9AN UK

On receipt of payment I will email you the information in a .pdf file - Adobe Reader will read this file and the latest version can be downloaded from http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ free of charge

I await hearing from you,

Regards
Mike Davies
www.yachtbrochures.co.uk
Listing 1500 different original yacht brochures from the early 1960s to
mid 2000s all available as scanned copies in .pdf file
www.eastangliaboatbuilders.co.uk
DVD of full book on Essex & Suffolk Boatyards and Boat Builder

Last edited:

NellieB

Visit site
Cornish Yawl info

I have No 9, Nellie B, built in 1989 and owned by me since 1997. 46 were built in all, before the mould was modified in 1994 to build the current shape Crabber 24. Mine is the centreboard version, and I am aware that bilge keels can be added, as I happened to pop into the factory in Rock about 5 years ago, when one was in having them fitted. You can find Yawl reviews in Classic Boat (no 11), YM Nd PBO. I'm happy to try to answer any questions if other contributors cannot.

Steve