copying Navionics card

bromleybysea

Visit site
I bought a new Navionics UK & Ireland chart last year on a standard SD card, only to discover that the new card would not load on my trusty Lowrance plotter due to insufficient memory. I was able to load it onto my PC-based plotter at the chart table. I have now replaced my plotter but it takes micro SD cards. Can I simply copy the chart on my plotter onto a micro SD card? I don’t want to try and end up corrupting the chart as I seem to remember that Navionics have copy prevention built in

Daverw

Visit site
You cannot copy the card as it’s got codes on it. Are you sure you have standard SD card and not a SD card holder with the micro sim slotted in? We’ve been sent both for the last 7 years

Refueler

Visit site
You cannot copy the card as it’s got codes on it. Are you sure you have standard SD card and not a SD card holder with the micro sim slotted in? We’ve been sent both for the last 7 years

Correct - the files code to the internal ID of the card ...

I believe you can exchange cards ... but no doubt there will be a fee ...

As Dave says - check to see whether its a micro SD card in a standard SD card holder

Refueler

Visit site
In the old days of DOS - there were Copy Programs that created exact clone copies of discs, (Diskcopy, Copyright etc) ... you could clone a 5.25 floppy to a 3.5" and all sorts .. the 3.5 would be exact copy of the 5.25. You could not the other way though as the donor card had to same or larger than the clone card.

The programs are long gone and hard to find now ... but I do know they work with CD's / SD cards etc via Dosbox ......

I do not support the cloning - just saying.

It used to be possible to transfer Navionics - but you needed an old Navionics card to copy to ... basically the card was already authenticated Navionics card and it did not matter what area chart files went on ...
I think that has been blocked now ...

Dockhead

Visit site
I've broken up with Navionics after a decades long relationship. I tried to update one of the several Navionics cards which I, expensively, need for my cruising area (Baltic and North Sea), and the system told me that the card was too small and I would have to buy a new one. Which costs half the cost of a new chart, plus the other half for the update equals a new card. Previously they would exchange for free a card which was not suitable.

That moved me to look at C-Maps and lo and behold, they offer a single card (!) which does the entire Baltic Sea, UK, North Sea up to Svalbard, Iceland, European coasts down to Gib. Their equivalent of a Navionics Platinum card (with satellite images, and raster charts) cover entire Baltic and North Sea.

Sold and sold. My collection of Navionics cards will soon be for sale.

ithet

Visit site
I've broken up with Navionics after a decades long relationship. I tried to update one of the several Navionics cards which I, expensively, need for my cruising area (Baltic and North Sea), and the system told me that the card was too small and I would have to buy a new one. Which costs half the cost of a new chart, plus the other half for the update equals a new card. Previously they would exchange for free a card which was not suitable.

That moved me to look at C-Maps and lo and behold, they offer a single card (!) which does the entire Baltic Sea, UK, North Sea up to Svalbard, Iceland, European coasts down to Gib. Their equivalent of a Navionics Platinum card (with satellite images, and raster charts) cover entire Baltic and North Sea.

Sold and sold. My collection of Navionics cards will soon be for sale.
If your card was still updatable, you only need to buy the update card at half price of new card (and often cheaper then the direct subscription cost via Navionics). Then your old card is used to "enable" the new card and you download the chart area and can update for twelve months. There is no "other half" to pay.

I agree that C map do the massive mega wide area.

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I found the marketing very unclear, but the two brands do offer options with comparable coverage - I think Navionics call it "continental" scale.

See post 15, I think, of this previous thread: Navionics vs C-Map for B&G Vulcan.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
In the old days of DOS - there were Copy Programs that created exact clone copies of discs, (Diskcopy, Copyright etc) ... you could clone a 5.25 floppy to a 3.5" and all sorts .. the 3.5 would be exact copy of the 5.25. You could not the other way though as the donor card had to same or larger than the clone card.

The programs are long gone and hard to find now ... but I do know they work with CD's / SD cards etc via Dosbox ......

Take a look at the DD command on Linux.

The Complete Guide to the dd Command in Linux

You can use it to clone block devices.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
It won't work because it doesn't copy the SD card's CID number.

The "SD" in "SD card" stands for "secure digital" - they weren't born yesterday, you know.

I was just replying to Refuler's question about copy programs, but thanks for clarifying my post. You are correct in that it will not copy the CID number. There are ways to do that, but they are not trivial.

Refueler

Visit site
I was just replying to Refuler's question about copy programs, but thanks for clarifying my post. You are correct in that it will not copy the CID number. There are ways to do that, but they are not trivial.

The old DOS cloning programs do create second working copies of SD cards .... but the problem is getting the program itself to work on todays PC's ...

Refueler

Visit site
Not a chance, no. He’s just never tried to copy a protected one. Any copy program can copy the data on an unprotected SD card.
The protection tech didn’t even exist when those programs were written.
Sorry lustyd - WRONG.

The programs I am talking about are full cloning programs - not just file copiers ....
They clone the whole medium and you still have to use your licence key or code to use - same as the original.

Example - you have to be a DOS person to appreciate !!

Full encrypted / protected original .... Norton. Mirror and all the usual programs people used - not a chance .. many cards / discs in fact would block the read and copy program says unreadable.

But full cloning programs don't read the files ... they just create a total clone of the original - yes read that again .. TOTAL clone ...

I will not give the name of any of these programs to avoid accusation of promoting copyright infringement ... but anyone who was any good with DOS should know of one or two ...

I came to know of them working in Saudi Arabia ... they were widely used - even the dealers were using !!