coppercoat?

zalophus

Visit site
Although I was told by someone on their stand at last SIBS that a light abrasion prior to first immersion helps to activate the new coating.

I have just finished abrading the hull prior to re-coating later this Spring and yes it is a b***** awful job. On the other hand, so is scraping off old antifoul.

I experimented last winter by abrading a patch of (15 year old) Coppercoat and at mid season scrub the patch was clearly defined and noticeably less slimey than the surrounding area. I wasn't present for end of season lift out.

macd

Visit site
AMC's (the Coppercoat people) position is clear enough re abrading: they suggest it may be advantageous before first launch in areas of high fouling; the say it may be helpful from time to time to expose fresh copper. This is from their own literature as well as talking to them.

It's clear from past threads going back years that some people do it, some don't and don't find the need. It's not as gruelling a job as zalophus suggests: just a fairly light going-over with a Scotchbrite pad or similar -- certainly not remotely like removing antifoul.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
My Coppercoat has never been abraded and lasted for ten years, still working then but the iron beneath had rusted and the CC was falling off. Its replacement, on a better substrate, has been on for three years, never abraded and absolutely no fouling on it (in Greece). Pressure washed at the end of each season.

The Coppercoat people have advised me that abrading is generally not necessary but after several years in certain types of service it might revitalise fading performance.

Talbot

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience at coppercoating the saildrive leg / a procedure ot guaranteed by Coppercoat themselves, although offered by their italian representative.

Can anyone recommend a yard in southern UK to actually carry out the coppercoat prep and application.

nmeyrick

Visit site
I can also recommend Symblast, they are based in Poole but are mobile and even travelled in to London to blast clean my hull and subsequently apply the coppercoat.

To be honest it sounds like you've already done most of the hard work, and Paul the director was adamant that applying the coppercoat was something I could do myself without too much difficulty but I didn't have the time.