coppercoat?

grafozz

Visit site
make your own

Thanks for all the replies,very informative plus not a negative report with regard to coppercoats performance.I have come across a one coat copper antifoul system manufactured in germany very effective according to the web page verometalmarine.com.
I have e-mailed them for more infomation plus cost/postage etc.I dont think this one coat system can match coppercoat but it could be a compromise for me due to reduced cost.
I will update when I receive the information.

Contact East Coast fibreglass supplies , they have a copper powder and resin so you can make your own , far cheaper . thats what I use , and it works well in the Med

silverdawn

Visit site
update!

Thanks for all the replies,very informative plus not a negative report with regard to coppercoats performance.I have come across a one coat copper antifoul system manufactured in germany very effective according to the web page verometalmarine.com.
I have e-mailed them for more infomation plus cost/postage etc.I dont think this one coat system can match coppercoat but it could be a compromise for me due to reduced cost.
I will update when I receive the information.

Hi all , received e-mail today regarding the german copper antifoul Verometal M 300 I was looking for a alternative to coppercoat as this was to expensive £ 560 for my 28ft bilge keel yacht ,M300 is a one coat system which they say lasts for minimum 10 years so in this respect is the same as coppercoat the M300 comes in 2.25 Kg packs @ £150.00 per pack inc postage, for my boat I would require 4 packs =£ 600.00 so the price is almost the same
but still beyond my buget.However if it does what it claims with one coat then it could be an alternative considering all the time and labour involved applying the recommended 4 coats of coppercoat.Regarding my boat I have decide to apply 3 coats of Jotuns penguard HB epoxy primer to the prepared hull plus 2 coat of Jotuns Seaqueen antifoul. many thanks for all your advice and comments.

Stork_III

Visit site
Hi all , received e-mail today regarding the german copper antifoul Verometal M 300 I was looking for a alternative to coppercoat as this was to expensive £ 560 for my 28ft bilge keel yacht ,M300 is a one coat system which they say lasts for minimum 10 years so in this respect is the same as coppercoat the M300 comes in 2.25 Kg packs @ £150.00 per pack inc postage, for my boat I would require 4 packs =£ 600.00 so the price is almost the same
but still beyond my buget.However if it does what it claims with one coat then it could be an alternative considering all the time and labour involved applying the recommended 4 coats of coppercoat.Regarding my boat I have decide to apply 3 coats of Jotuns penguard HB epoxy primer to the prepared hull plus 2 coat of Jotuns Seaqueen antifoul. many thanks for all your advice and comments.
If it is a "one coat" application, it must be snake oil.

macd

Visit site
If it is a "one coat" application, it must be snake oil.

I'm inclined to agree.

By the way, there is no such thing as 'coppercoat'. Check your dictionary. 'Coppercoat' (with cap 'C') retains a sound reputation after many years during which most of the pretenders have come and gone. I wonder why.

Emphatically not related to Coppercoat as anything but a customer.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
.Regarding my boat I have decide to apply 3 coats of Jotuns penguard HB epoxy primer to the prepared hull plus 2 coat of Jotuns Seaqueen antifoul. many thanks for all your advice and comments.

I had a 28' foot boat. Annual antifouling required 5 litres of jollop* at approx £75 per 2,5l tin = £150 per annum. Over 10 years, £1500 plus about 20 days of prep and painting. Add in the one-off cost, after 10 years, of taking the dead a/f off to get back to a smooth hull and start over. Suddenly Coppercoat doesn't seem so expensive.

*Blakes Tiger Extra, or whatever it is called nowadays.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the boat was always mucky by the end of the season, so losing sailing and motoring performance.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
could be an alternative considering all the time and labour involved applying the recommended 4 coats of coppercoat.

An ill-informed observation. By far the greatest work involved in applying Coppercoat or any similar coating is surface preparation. Typically it takes many days. Actually applying the Coppercoat can (and ideally should) take one.

silverdawn

Visit site
I'm inclined to agree.

By the way, there is no such thing as 'coppercoat'. Check your dictionary. 'Coppercoat' (with cap 'C') retains a sound reputation after many years during which most of the pretenders have come and gone. I wonder why.

Emphatically not related to Coppercoat as anything but a customer.

Iam Disappointed you feel the need to point out my punctuation errors in such a sarcastic
way , telling me to Check my dictionary.although you have a valid point I think it somewhat misplaced to pick over the shortcoming of lesser scholars.We post on this forum to share ideas and gain information not to be patronized . I have probably made many errors in this post but please refrain from informing me.

macd

Visit site
Iam Disappointed you feel the need to point out my punctuation errors in such a sarcastic way

Apologies for any offence caused. My intention was not to have a dig at your punctuation. As you rightly suggest, the message is more important than the means. My point was that 'coppercoat', 'copperbot' and 'copper-pretty-much-anything-else' are often bandied about on these forums as interchangeable generics when they are not. When referring to specific products, it's helpful to be unambiguous.

Solent sailer

Visit site
coppercoat

we sail from in Poole and had coppercoat for 2 or 3 seasons, we had a few problems with coppercoat it worked well until we first jet washed it off (after about 18 months in the water) it didn't work at all after that! I contacted coppercoat and the suggested abrading the hull to expose more copper, this was fine but if you winter your boat a sure and have to abrade it every season plus probably once mid season to keep it rely clean then it's hard work. also another thing to bear in mind was we had some osmosis treated and the boat yard had problems stripping the coppercoat off, (this was my fault i didn't get the water readings low enough before epoxying the bottom i had wrongly assumed that having the boat on the drive for the best part of a year would have brought the readings down and didn't check).
I think it is excellent if you live aboard or intend a world cruse but I don't think we will be using it again for seasonal sailing, cruser uno is quick to apply and seems to mostly come off with the end of season jet wash to reduce the build-up. good luck with whatever you opt for.

silverdawn

Visit site
Apologies for any offence caused. My intention was not to have a dig at your punctuation. As you rightly suggest, the message is more important than the means. My point was that 'coppercoat', 'copperbot' and 'copper-pretty-much-anything-else' are often bandied about on these forums as interchangeable generics when they are not. When referring to specific products, it's helpful to be unambiguous.

Thank you Macd apology accepted, lets keep this forum Informal,Informative,and fun.
Have a good day.

Stork_III

Visit site
Coppercoat is great stuff but absolutely not a barrier coat. I believe AMC (the Coppercoat company) used to claim that it had some barrier effect, but no longer do so. The Coppercoat epoxy is strange stuff: 50% water. It dries as well as cures.

2 coats of epoxy before the Coppercoat puzzles me. If it's simply a a primer, then surely one will do; if a barrier coat, 2 is too few. The general view is that 500 microns (0.5mm) should be applied. Depending on viscosity, that means 3 to 5 coats.
They still claim it is a barrier against Osmosis. In their How It Works Section they state "Furthermore, the inherent waterproofing qualities of the epoxy ensure that a treatment of Coppercoat will help prevent osmosis in GRP craft and offer extra protection against corrosion in steel vessels.

What is Cupric Hydrochloride. Google search only seems to yield references to it which relate to Coppercoat original literature. Is it psuedo science again?

Last edited:

Sans Bateau

Visit site

CopperCoat, used by 100's well known, tried and tested.

Verometal M 300 Never heard of it, let someone else be the pioneer!

Solent sailer

Visit site
Could you clarify: did you mean you jet-washed the Coppercoat or jet-washed OFF the Coppercoat?

no it didn't remove the coppercoat but i think it may have dislodged or helped to remove the oxidised copper needing a new layer of copper to be exposed by abrading the epoxy, the epoxy should eroded by itself but after the yet washing we were left with too much epoxy and not enough copper!

macd

Visit site
no it didn't remove the coppercoat but i think it may have dislodged or helped to remove the oxidised copper needing a new layer of copper to be exposed by abrading the epoxy, the epoxy should eroded by itself but after the yet washing we were left with too much epoxy and not enough copper!

All rather baffling (to you, too, I daresay). I'm no chemist but can't see how that -- "too much epoxy, not enough copper" -- could happen with a homogenous Coppercoat mix. Did the Coppercoat change colour as it was jet-washed? Cured Coppercoat is tough stuff and erodes very, very slowly. Unless there was some other problem I can't see jet washing making a blind bit of difference beyond the intended removal of slime etc. Obviously you experienced what you describe, but I've never heard of it before and am at a loss to understand it.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I was told by a chap from CopperCoat that the epoxy gradually erodes enough to keep fresh copper at the surface to oxidise. If you hauled the boat out, jet washed and kept her ashore overwinter, then I understand from another source, that the copper will oxidise in the air in a different way (dont ask, I'm only passing on my understanding, where's Vics when you need him!) that will stop it from doing its job once back in sea water.

In the 5 years we have had CopperCoat on Galadriel, we have never abraded, but have jet washed at least once a year. This winter the boat is ashore, so abrading will be done just prior to relaunch.

If someone (Vics) comes along and tells me the advice I was given above is incorrect, I will be very happy, as I dont relish the abrading job!

silverdawn

Visit site
CopperCoat, used by 100's well known, tried and tested.

Verometal M 300 Never heard of it, let someone else be the pioneer!

Hi,Galadriel, go onto the website verometal.com (Germany) it looks very impressive, plus its a one coat system and they insist one coat is enough to provide 10 years protection. Seems to good to be true but they say it is used extensively in that part of the world.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

In the 5 years we have had CopperCoat on Galadriel, we have never abraded, but have jet washed at least once a year. This winter the boat is ashore, so abrading will be done just prior to relaunch.
!

And I was told by someone from Coppercoat that it's not necessary to abrade before relaunch, and that that was just a spoiler put about by the trad a/f suppliers.

Elessar?