coppercoat

richardm

Visit site
Is this as effective as the manufacturers claim? I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used it and also if there are any independent comparisons that have been made

G

If you are referring to an actual "sheathing" of the vessel's bottom with copper...yes it is effective and is routinely used. If you are referring to paint with copper in it, they too are effective as well. Generally speaking, the more copper the better.

Reality is the cause of all stress!!

G

This has been aired before ..... probably if you go back to the early postings still availble on the old pages - you will find Coppercoat !!

All the postings over the years 'repeated' seem to be in two camps !! Slighly more claim that it is good, than those that are against. I haven't been able to determine from these past rantings whether ist worth the expense !! But many say its good .....

I would suggest trying to find boats / persons this winter during lay-up with boats out of water and talk to them before laying out the cash and all the pre-work necessary cleaning the hull up etc.

snowleopard

Visit site
I have had coppercoat on for 2 years and have found 2 problems: despite applying it by the book in perfect weather there were patches where the 2nd coat blistered away from the 1st. manufacturers said they would come & look but never turned up. if doing it again i would have it professionally appied so i would have someone to blame!

as regards effectiveness, we developed lots of barnacle and other growth in the tropics, i spent many an hour with snorkel & scraper to keep it clean. despite scouring back to bright copper the growth continued.

p.s. did you know tbt is still available in the tropics!