Cooling box change?

steffen

Visit site
I have a cooling box with a peltier element. Are there advantages/reasons to change to a compressor driven one? Power consumption? noise? effectivity?
The box is about 70ltrs in volume and going to be used (hopefully) for long trips (Azores and the like).

Happy sailing, Steffen

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
The peltier effect fridges are fine for northern climes, but not a lot of use elsewhere, they just do not have the cooling power, compressor fridges do, but at a power cost. depends if cold beer is a priority, it is on my boat!

<hr width=100% size=1>

steffen

Visit site
Thanks Colin.
Considering my future destinations it looks like i have to add a compressor unit to my "need to have" list.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dk

Visit site
Steffen
Definitely change it to a compressor type if you're sailing to warmer climes. It will increase your power consumption though, as they draw around 40Ah over 24hrs. A good tip - leave the thermo-electric one connected for night use, when you don't need so much cooling power ( will probably save some 15Ah or so) and don't want the noise of a compressor cutting in. To get really efficient cooling and reduce the power required fit a water-cooled condenser.
Duncan

<hr width=100% size=1>