Coolant for Volvo 2040?

Cantata

Visit site
I'm sure this has been debated before but I can't readily find an answer, so.....
I'm changing the coolant in my Volvo 2040-D for the first time in my ownership. I know that what came out when I drained it was Volvo 'green' coolant.
Volvo-branded coolant is flipping expensive - £50 for 5L even at Keypart. And I need 7L.
Bearing in mind you never totally drain it - and for instance I don't want to faff about replacing the coolant in the calorifier circuit - do I really need to use the Volvo stuff, or is there an acceptable alternative from e.g. Halfords or similar that will mix OK with what's left in the engine?
I live in a hard-water area so I would rather buy ready-diluted stuff.
I confess that on past boats I simply used motor factor's neat stuff and tap water.

Pavalijo

Visit site
£51 buys you 5L of concentrated coolant.
I think that gets you 12.5 litres when diluted (unless you live in a very cold climate)

VicS

Visit site
I'm sure this has been debated before but I can't readily find an answer, so.....
I'm changing the coolant in my Volvo 2040-D for the first time in my ownership. I know that what came out when I drained it was Volvo 'green' coolant.
Volvo-branded coolant is flipping expensive - £50 for 5L even at Keypart. And I need 7L.
Bearing in mind you never totally drain it - and for instance I don't want to faff about replacing the coolant in the calorifier circuit - do I really need to use the Volvo stuff, or is there an acceptable alternative from e.g. Halfords or similar that will mix OK with what's left in the engine?
I confess that on past boats I simply used motor factor's neat stuff and tap water.
Volvo green coolant is a conventional , low silicate type , generally suitable for older engines

Volvo yellow VCS coolant is a long life / advanced / organic acid technology (OAT) type specified for newer engines

keep to the same type, do not mix although there are some brands which claim compatibility with all types

In place of the Volvo green you can use any brand of ethylene glycol based antifreeze which is not the OAT type
Eg TRIPLE QX Blue Antifreeze from Euro car parts.
I cannot find the conventional type now on Halfords website, but is is still available
Halfords Silicate Antifreeze Concentrate 2 Litres | Halfords UK

Alternatively use a universal type which is compatible with both types

Generally the conventoinal types are blue or green and the OAT types are red or yellow but don't rely on that ... read the label

Last edited:

Bilgediver

Visit site
Generally the conventoinal types are blue or green and the OAT types are red or yellow but don't rely on that ... read the label
Definitely good advice as I have a silicate free antifreeze here which is red.
Halfords sell the various types .

ithet

Visit site

I do not think the VP particularly costly. The price you quote is for the concentrate. The ready mixed 5L is half that price.