Cookers

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
My boat is currently fitted with an Optimus cooker, supplied I believe by Vetus in Sweden. It is three years old and the oven is a real pain to light, taking about three minutes before you can let go of the knob which makes the management very cross.
As we are thinking of cruising six months of the year from next year she is saying that she wants a proper cooker that will do every day duty and be reliable. I prefer gas.
Any views on good long lasting cookers would be appreciated as I guess I am going to have to spend a fair amount of money. I have heard of Taylors but do not think theyy will fit in the available space. I think Force 10 make a cooker that will fit but have seen somewhere(PBO) that someone had a bad expereience with them. Any thoughts on those and are there any others I should be considering.

Many thanks in advance

<hr width=100% size=1>Chris Stannard

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Why not just...

....replace the flame failure sensor? It must be available as a spare I beleive.

I´ve done that on Na-Wa (Finnish origin) cooker some years ago, it was easely done and even if I cannot remember the cost of the thing, it was very cheap.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
We have Force 10 and rate it highly. In a mag test it wasn't the best at making toast but if you have a proper British grill pan (£10 at a caravan shop) rather than the one it comes with it is fine.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

PBO tested some cookers about a year ago. When changing to gas, make sure you can also fit "foreign" bottles. Camping Gas is available almost anywhere in Europe, but (outside Spain) rather expensive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
Cookers are rather like education - you can pay a hell of a lot and get something poor or you may find the cheapest available is best.

I'd suggest the latter course - I've had my cooker for 8 years now and found it's a delight to use (I spend about 8/12 months a year on the boat).

It's one drawback is it's size, it has definitely got a small footprint which means that the 9 litre pressure cooker cannot sit squarely over the burner.

The cookers are made by Leisure Products Ltd, Holly St. Bolton Lancs. BL1 8QL tel 01204 308458.

If you want to have a look at one Plastimo re-badge them, their's is the Neptune.
FFL on all burners and a thermostatically controlled oven make them super.
Work on propane or butane.

Regarding LPG - the biggest ramp in Europe is Camping Gaz it costs about x3 as much as local suppliers and tho' I carry 1 bottle for untoward situations I find that Butagaz Cube is the best in France and Portugal. The 6kg brick fits in instead of a 4.5kg Calor cylinder - weighs the same when full, doesn't rust and costs the same as a refill as the small (902) Camping Gaz cylinder. It's obtainable as either propane or butane.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aramas

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with Wallas catalytic stoves? They're not available in my part of the world, but I find the catalytic option fascinating. The published specs indicate that they're also very efficient.
Anyone used one?

<hr width=100% size=1>