Converting MD11 to fresh water cooling

G

Does any body know of a fitting/pulley to install a polar engineering fresh water pump on a Volvo MD11, (or know what they look like so that I can make one)?

G

Been there, done that etc...... I converted a Ford water pump as pre Martin Parker in PBO. Run the hot water from the thermostat to domestic radiators via 15/22mm copper pipe, return to a truck oil cooler, then to the inlet of the pump which returns cool water to the block. Cool the oil cooler with the outlet from the G/box, outlet then goes down exaust cooling inlet as normal. I did all my own work for about £100 total!1 BENEFITS... freshwater cooling, central heating, more rapid enging warm up & more even running temp, &low cost. Get back if U need more help.

G

I would like to know more about this. Which issue of PBO has the article please so I can order a back copy?

G

See PBOAug 1999 No 392 for basic system & water pump conversion. Not having access to machine shop facilities I made my own conversion. I also thought up a simpler & cheaper heatexchanger unit. The radiator system seemed a natural addition.

G

Great, I am about to back order the PBO article. I have a heat exchanger already and have been thinking about a fresh water conversion for some time. Have you found a water pump that fits the thermoustat housing? Any information that saves me from "re inventing the wheel" would be useful. Cheers John Dillon

G

Re: Contact Seahorse

I'm am very keen to convert my MD11C to fresh water cooled. I would love to talk to 'Seahorse'. Please could he contact me on 'timbarlow2001@yahoo.co.uk' or phone me on 023 80268780. Many Thanks Tim

G

I didn't bother about trying to find a pump. I used a Ford Fiesta pump & made up a housing which incorporated a bracket which fits the starter motor securing bolts, requires a longer alternator belt, no problem.

G

Thanks for the information.

A back copy of the PBO article you refer to is on it's way to me and I am off to the motor factor for a Ford Fiesta water pump in the morning. How did you make the housing the Fiesta pump fits in to? I assume the housing is deep enough to align the water pump pully with the engine flywheel. Did you keep the thermoustat?

cheers

John Dillon

Cheers

John Dillon

G

John, I mounted the pump on the starter motor bolts, U need to make a rear housing for it. Thermostat remains intact.