Converted wooden trawler - a good idea to move onto for 3 years or so?

Fabrias

Visit site
Hello everyone!

Have been reading many threads on here and really enjoying how active and engaged everyone is! But there's so much to trawl through to find out answers to specific questions so I thought I'd try posting instead...

I'm new to boats really but am considering moving with my fiancee on to a liveaboard converted trawler. At the risk of sounding totally naive I have a few questions. It's quite a long one, but any answers would be really appreciated

I currently rent in Brighton but wondered whether buying a boat and mooring up in the marina would be a sensible move. Not just as a financial move though, we are both excited about the prospect as a bit of an adventure. The boat we are considering is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Houseboat...925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4bcb3155

She was driven from ipswich to cornwall in 2012, but as she was pulling in to plymouth two push rods popped out of one of the cylinders. They started her up again and took her slowly in to moor. The engine hasn't been started for 2 years though. So the engine needs repairing..

Firstly, does the boat seem expensive? Obviously I would need a VERY careful survey of the hull before really knowing exactly. The owner has agreed to knock off the cost of repairing the engine.

I don't understand why the ads on apollo duck have been taken down and the owner is now only selling on ebay..:

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/print.phtml?id=375231

Secondly, if she is appropriately priced, and I were to bring her up to Brighton (either tugged or with a repaired engine), convert the fish hold, which is currently untouched, would she hold her value for resale in 3 or so years? Do you think she'd be hard to sell??! Obviously there would be lots of repairing and maintenance too. I have plenty of carpentry tools and skills as my work has required them so I hope I'd be able to do a lot of that myself, but I don't want to have to spend loads and loads of money on it - is this wishful thinking? I am fine to buy her and spend a certain amount of money and a lot of time upkeeping her as long as I don't end up losing lots and lots of money at the end of it all.

I would love to have her able to pop out of the harbour for day trips or even the odd week or two, but I am also open to the idea of simply having her moored and as my home for a few years. I am aware she is big and might be fairly tricky for the inexperienced to handle... Plus keeping her utterly seaworthy is a lot more complicated than simply afloat and not rotting...

Well done to anyone who made it this far, long post! Any advice much appreciated :)

rivonia

Visit site
There are so many imponderables about this hulk.

She is made of WOOD. That means a LOT of money for the upkeep and repairs as and when required. My oppinion is that she is about £10,000.00 overpriced and will need around that figure on the appearance outside and in. The engine may have to be replaced Argh!!

For that amount of money look at an old FISHER type trawler.

Good luck

Fabrias

Visit site
Thanks Rivonia, very interesting, and reply appreciated!

Yes indeed so many imponderables (good word!), I wonder whether a visit anyway might clear some of those up.

So there is substance to the scare stories about wooden hulls... I thought that the salt helped preserve them, and if properly maintained, were actually cheaper to keep than fibreglass or metal..

I will definitely look into the fisher type too, thanks

sarabande

Visit site
you are in luck !

One of the forum women has a very similar boat in Brighton. The boat is called Elizmor, and the experienced and forthcoming owner is named JellyElly. You can't miss her.

There is a long and exciting story about how Elizmor came to Brighton against all odds.

JE will be able to give you lots of shortcut hints, and especially about the costs of running a big boat.

katie777

Visit site
I am fed up with the maintenance of out 36ft wooden boat (liveaboard) but then it's not really my thing... A boat that big in slightly scruffy condition will be an insane amount of work, really, it will become your life, forget about going to work! I have decided wooden boats are for the retired...Even if you do it all yourself the cost of sandpaper, paint, varnish, sealant, rot hardener, epoxy, brushes, tape, tools to replace broken tools really does add up even on our 36 footer.
It doesn't say what it is made of, teak and mahogany are wonderful materials (or were before modern plantations). If it ain't hardwood it will be keener to rot.
Wooden boats are beautiful and she looks like a wonderful home but I do not underestimate the commitment! I think she has been hanging around a while, prob no quick resale.

Fabrias

Visit site
That's great sarabande thanks for the info, will try and seek her out!

Just had a little look on her blog, looks great :)

MrCramp

Visit site
Don't touch it with a barge pole. It will take your life over and will take all the money you can lay your hands on and no-one will want it if you try and sell it.

upcountry2

Visit site
Don't touch it with a barge pole. It will take your life over and will take all the money you can lay your hands on and no-one will want it if you try and sell it.

+1
No one in their right mind would pay that money for what is very evidently a bodge, you would be hard pushed to find a less suitable boat as a first purchase.
Look elsewhere.....

rivonia

Visit site

maxi77

Visit site
Unless there is good evidence that she is fit to go to sea I wouldn't even consider it. With all that stuff on the upper deck her stability must be suspect. On mature reflection not a good starter boat unless you have bottomless pockets.

Fabrias

Visit site
Everyone!

Thank you SO much for all the advice, really really appreciated, and indeed heeded!!! We won't go and look at her, and will look into the suggested colvic instead.

What a wonderful community out here that everyone offers so much advice and support :)

Tranona

Visit site
Everyone!

Thank you SO much for all the advice, really really appreciated, and indeed heeded!!! We won't go and look at her, and will look into the suggested colvic instead.

What a wonderful community out here that everyone offers so much advice and support :)

Those two boats are at the opposite end of a spectrum. The trawler is trying to be a house that floats, whereas the Colvic is an ocean going sailing boat that you could live on. There are many other different types of boats on that spectrum that might suit your requirements better than either.

Perhaps you need to think through what your objectives are. Although it sounds attractive to live on a boat, it is not a direct substitute for a house or a flat, nor is it necessarily cheaper. There are significant downsides, particularly if you also want to lead a "conventional" work and social life. Big, old boats of all types are potential money pits and have you can see from the two examples here have a market value that is a fraction of build cost (that Colvic, or similar would cost £350k new) whereas the running costs are related more to the new build costs.

Please don't take this as negative. Many people do live on boats but it is often not clear to the outsider what is really involved, so think carefully before jumping in.