Container Ship Sinks Yacht

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: 1 and counting ...

no beacause duncan stated that not many vessels sink on collision
which includes other yachts
many yachts and mototrboats donot cross the channel but do come into contact with shipping ferries etc.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>

ParaHandy

Visit site
Re: Hard up .. so to speak?

Awa wi' ye ... the old bloke's her dad and he's thanking her for giving him a job just like her sister, aunt, mum, boyfriend, dentist, chaufeur, masseuse ... oh, and that little matter of all that allegedly fictitious flax her country is growing ....

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Effing Flax

Weel weel that's jist whit ra Dundee weaver wants tae gang wi' his fairy cakes or a meringue?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ParaHandy

Visit site

To be quite brutal (and cynical) there are more witnesses about. Southampton VTS radar plots have been used in the past by the MAIB.

I don't quite understand how Duncan reckons a yacht would survive a collision with a merchant ship?

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site

One did just a couple of days ago - the one that sank was the second collision in two days, the other yacht survived, but was badly damaged

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cornishman

Visit site
Re: Container Ship Sinks Yacht-Harnesses in fog?.

I might be talking semantics here, but I was answering BrendanS comment that the chances are 'negligible'. I'm sorry if you disagree but to me one case alone, and I don't care in how many, rules out 'negligible'.

As for the Solent, it's a damned dangerous place to go sailing, fog or no, that's why so many emmets come down 'yer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Known facts of the case

There was a picture in the Times today perporting to be of the yacht in question. it had no radar and more importantly it had no radar reflector. - but perhaps the Times used a picture of any old Moody.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ROSSCO

Visit site
surely if entering the tss in poor visibility a good idea would be to contact joborg radio giving them your position. speed and heading and ask them to keep a look out in addition to you keeping a radar/visual look out?

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site

Statistically , the chances are very low. The fact that it's so unusual is born out by this thread dissecting the incident, and the only other example you could quote is 30 odd years ago.

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

bedouin

Visit site

I think two in two days is not that low!

Perhaps what is unusual about this case is that there was no loss of life - the crew lived to tell the tale. Otherwise it would have been another disappearance.

It seems plausible that Tuila was also sunk following collision in fog - but none of the crew survived so we cannot know.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site

It's a bit like airline crashes. Every time there is a crash (or two) there is a flurry of negative press coverage, yet it remains the safest type of transport.

Look at how many yachts do these trips over and over again. The percentage that sink due to collision is miniscule

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

ParaHandy

Visit site
Tried the MCA ....

... who publish an annual business plan? In either the latest or the one before, they publish maritime accident statistics. Travel by sea is only slightly less dangerous than by car or, in other words, is the second most dangerous form of travel.

The reason is several recent car ferry disasters.

As far as what you say about the solent is concerned, I would presume the reason (few sinkings) is simply that the speed of commercial traffic is restricted. That would be entirely logical?

I was interested to see whether the MCA had increased detentions of "rust buckets" under the Paris MOU after the furore over Prestige. Nothing appears to have changed although I am not in any way qualified to pass judgement. The shipping industry seems to be inured to negative commentary .......... almost becoming a way of life to them; as natural as breathing ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Tried the MCA ....

OK, several points here, as it seems to be escalating outside the original premise to which I responded, which was whether to wear safety lines in fog (in the Channel?)

Solent wasn't in question? Thought this was about English Channel?

I was commenting on pleasure vessels crossing the EC, and being sunk in collisions. Car Ferry disasters don't come into this equation. Not the same set of statistics.

What are the statistics for

jimi

Visit site
Safety lines & fog

Personally I'd wear one, but I always carry a knife. So I could either unclip or cut the line if need be..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Point of order, Mr Chairman (2)

>Therefore - as Yacht going north, Ship going West – at right angles cause it’s a shipping lane.<

Agreed it's a shipping lane, but it's not a TSS, therefore no right angle requirement.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

squidge

Visit site
Re: Even on a clear day!

crossing a sand band via a dredged channel (6m)on wednesday in bright sunshine , Merchant vessel comming along from my port side at right angles decided to turn to starboard and cross my bows a few of hundred yards ahead and continue along the channel i had used.I had already slowed as i thought he would continue on his course and was waiting for him to pass.Did i get a sound signal or a radio call ,did i heck!
These guys dont care what comotion they cause and have no consideration to other smaller vessels./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>