Considering sailing around Britain?

EdWingfield

Visit site
The idea is great but I'm not sure I could I do it? What qualification do you think I'd need to sail around Britain?

You don't need any qualifications.

Experience is what you should build up: Get to know the limitations of the boat and the crew. Get out there in poor weather and learn to cope. Make sure your navigation is up to the task and do some night sailing.

All this experience is learned incrementally. I wouldn't set off until you have all this under your belt.

ps. I have the same ambition but my trip is set for summer 2015.

clyst

Visit site
The idea is great but I'm not sure I could I do it? What qualification do you think I'd need to sail around Britain?

Have a word with Captain Bob of these forums and have a look at this WWW and his blog for inspiration . Hes my hero !!

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
Have a word with Captain Bob of these forums and have a look at this WWW and his blog for inspiration . Hes my hero !!

Wow, thanks Terry!! Don't feel like much of a hero at the moment stuck here in Strangford Lough, panicking about the potential choppy seas when we leave!

Ironic that before you set off sailing around Britain, the advice appears on the whole to be get some experience first, by sailing in the waters off Britain. Same thing isn't it?! :)

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Wow, thanks Terry!! Don't feel like much of a hero at the moment stuck here in Strangford Lough, panicking about the potential choppy seas when we leave!
:)

Strangford Lough.... during one of my first voyages as a fairly novice crew I recall the skipper, a long time pal of mine, deciding to do a night passage during spring tides from the far end of the Lough to the sea. This has remained one of the most regretted decisions he has ever made as a skipper and he still has an occassional nightmare about the moments when we were nearly driven against rocks and were fighting the helm in the dark.
We got to the open sea safely as it happens, but not an advised passage if you are unfamiliar with the geography of the Lough.
One of the locals had asked us in the bar near the loughs entrance, 'which charts are you using for the passage?' This should have alerted us to serious deficiencies in the charts we had onboard.

Boo2

Visit site
One of the locals had asked us in the bar near the loughs entrance, 'which charts are you using for the passage?' This should have alerted us to serious deficiencies in the charts we had onboard.

So which are the right charts for Strangford Loch, and which were you using ?

Boo2

Sturgess

Visit site
sailing around the UK is only done by heroes or fools

Dylan

PS - actually the biggest part of the challeng is money and time

Dylanwinter - as to money, I think during each week sailing around Britain you would probably spend less than you would each week at living at home..

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
but not earning any money

Dylanwinter - as to money, I think during each week sailing around Britain you would probably spend less than you would each week at living at home..

In my experience that is along way from reality

- unless of course you run an amazingly profligate and indulgent life at home

wear and tear on the boat is massive when doing long sails -

stuff breaks - and has to be fixed sooner rather than later

and lots of the home expenses such as mortgages, car tax, feeding children etc keep on wracking up when you are sailing

and of course - the clincher - if you are saikling then you are not earning money

However, we all bring a degree of financial fantasy and optimisim to our boats

and nothing wrong with that at all

Dylan

Last edited:

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site

I think what Dylan means, is having enough savings, or some other form of income, to allow you the time to go sailing. Particularly so if you are having a really detailed explore of the coast, not just whizzing round.

Most mere mortals, unless they are retired, have to work to earn an income, so don't get enough time to do this sort of trip.

dylanwinter

correct

I think what Dylan means, is having enough savings, or some other form of income, to allow you the time to go sailing. Particularly so if you are having a really detailed explore of the coast, not just whizzing round.

Most mere mortals, unless they are retired, have to work to earn an income, so don't get enough time to do this sort of trip.

unless of course you spread it out over a long period - doing it one bit at a time

it changes your sailing and you possibly go sailng less frequebntly - because of the time travelling to the boat - but I am sailing more intensively than I used to

and I am certainly enjoying it a lot more

gets the old adrenalin going at times

and there is nothing like sailing up a new river or estaury for the first time

really not knowing what is around the corner is a thrill beyond price

not often work offers such things once you get to a certain age

filmed on truck - filmed them all

Dylan

Last edited:

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
So which are the right charts for Strangford Loch, and which were you using ?

Boo2

We had Admiralty charts and the locals in the pub insisted there were better 'local' charts available. What that meant we didn't find out. Are there any local sailers that know more?

Perhaps it's a trick the Irish use to lure the English to their doom! ???

Sturgess

Visit site
I agree, there is nothing like sailing up an estuary for the fist time...
sailing around Britain takes time - it is time that has to be allocated from other purposes (such as working for a salary)..

you can afford it.. I believe it is just a matter of priority.

I did it :)

unless of course you spread it out over a long period - doing it one bit at a time

it changes your sailing and you possibly go sailng less frequebntly - because of the time travelling to the boat - but I am sailing more intensively than I used to

and I am certainly enjoying it a lot more

gets the old adrenalin going at times

and there is nothing like sailing up a new river or estaury for the first time

really not knowing what is around the corner is a thrill beyond price

not often work offers such things once you get to a certain age

filmed on truck - filmed them all

Dylan

barrow_matt

Visit site
Am I right in thinking Day Melon sailed around Britain in a Corribee, and that the venture 'kick-started' her 'mazing sailing career ?

Yes she did. I am also reading a great book at the moment titled 'Mingming' about a guy with a junk rigged Corribee which he sails single-handed. The 'first part' he went from the South East coast right up to Iceland and back around the West side of Ireland. Part Two (just started) is his Jester challenge trip to the Azores, and I believe there is another journey where he gets North of Iceland and into the Arctic Circle in his custom Corribee.

Sturgess

Visit site
set sail

School is now out and the British summer here.. I suggest it is time to sail around This Precious Isle..

If you have any questions about the route - just ask

colvic987

Visit site
School is now out and the British summer here.. I suggest it is time to sail around This Precious Isle..

If you have any questions about the route - just ask

Although this is my ambition when i can finally retire, most of us arent schoolteachers or lecturers and only get an average of 5 weeks of leave a year, so after the obligatory christmas, easter and maybe 2 weeks during the summer, there is not much chance to get anywhere of distance away from the permanent mooring, before we have to get back for work again.

With the movement of retirement age by the government of the day, its looking even more distance for me, unless i take a sabbatical or voluntarily become unemployed, i dont see it happening as soon as i hope.. But the dream continues.....

oldvarnish

Visit site
I think Naomi James went round the world on less than that.:D She had six weeks sailing experience I gather.

Tim

A recent book revealed that when Chay Blyth set off the 'wrong' way round the world he arranged for two other boats, crewed by mates, to shadow him down the Solent and tell him when to tack and which rope to pull on.

If you can start out that green and still get round the globe, can't see Round Britain is much of a problem.

Having said that, of course, the coastline of Britain is far more dangerous than any ocean at times.

dylanwinter

same thought processes - different conclusion

Although this is my ambition when i can finally retire, most of us arent schoolteachers or lecturers and only get an average of 5 weeks of leave a year, so after the obligatory christmas, easter and maybe 2 weeks during the summer, there is not much chance to get anywhere of distance away from the permanent mooring, before we have to get back for work again.

With the movement of retirement age by the government of the day, its looking even more distance for me, unless i take a sabbatical or voluntarily become unemployed, i dont see it happening as soon as i hope.. But the dream continues.....

I went through exactly the same thought processes - and came to the realisation that it would never happen if I took the "let us wait" until we get the time approach.

I would never be able to slive out a big enough block of time - or get the funds to get the best boat for the job.

So I bought he boat I could afford (£2,000) and made a start at doing it one bit at a time - like Johnny cash with stealing the cadillac

so the journey is likely to take me a decade at the speed I am going.

In my opinion it is better to have started something and failed than not to have started at all.

Dylan