Connecting to old Raymarine instrumentation

CPD

Visit site
Please go easy on me - I can do most things on board but NMEA isn't one of them !. I have ST60 wind and ST40 depth and speed, all going to displays in the cockpit. Old, but it works. How could I connect them into an NMEA 2000 backbone ?.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Please go easy on me - I can do most things on board but NMEA isn't one of them !. I have ST60 wind and ST40 depth and speed, all going to displays in the cockpit. Old, but it works. How could I connect them into an NMEA 2000 backbone ?.
The converter kit from post #2 is a good start, but we need to know what N2K kit you have and do you already have a N2K backbone/network.

lustyd

Visit site
Do you intend to keep the displays or upgrade them? I assume keep but if you’ll change them the iTC 5 is the converter you’d want. I ended up buying both as I gradually upgraded 😂

I’d happily sell you the st1 converter but it’s missing one blue terminator until I can remove the iTC5 and the terminators are quite pricey

Last edited:

CPD

Visit site
Do you intend to keep the displays or upgrade them? I assume keep but if you’ll change them the iTC 5 is the converter you’d want. I ended up buying both as I gradually upgraded 😂

I’d happily sell you the st1 converter but it’s missing one blue terminator until I can remove the iTC5 and the terminators are quite pricey
I intend to keep the current displays in the cockpit. What is your timeline on the st1 converter being fully available ?

lustyd

Visit site
I intend to keep the current displays in the cockpit. What is your timeline on the st1 converter being fully available ?
haha I need to replace the wind vane so probably not quickly, but if you can find a blue terminator for a reasonable price (or someone may have a spare) you can have it for £60

CPD

Visit site

I intend to keep the current displays. What is your timeline on making the full st1 available ? ..........

CPD

Visit site
Using the ST to STNG converter and an Orca is an expensive way of getting wifi to an iPad. Some much cheaper options, for instance :

SeaTalk1 to NMEA USB Bridge YAKBITZ from UK Distributor, AVES Marine Ltd | eBay
Hi Paul, My understnding is that this device would give 1 wifi network, potentially for each parameter being measured eg depth, speed etc and any ipad (other brands available) would need to log into each seperate network to read each parameter, whereas the orca (yes on the face of it expensive) would give all parameters (and more than just the basics) in one network and potentially all on one screen. Thats how I have read it anyway. Gladl to be corrected ........... (or connected even :love::cool::love::cool::love:) ..........

ylop

Visit site
I think Paul's link may have been to a "sister" product which provides a USB link. There is a ST1 - Wifi product from the same company for < £100. It will output all the data fed to it from ST1 on one Wifi "stream". Which App do you intend to use on the iPad? Orca would work nicely if you use the Orca app but perhaps not with others? It would however add GPS, compass etc to the mix being sent to the ipad which may or may not be helpful. It will also open up the possibility to interface with an autopilot.

But I'd start with a sheet of paper and work out what you want a bit like a simplified version of Baggy's drawing above. ST1-STNG is possible but don't fall into the trap of thinking its just one cable. STNG-N2K (NMEA2000) are essentially the same electronics standards so its physical connectors that are different (so is relatively easy). But this is probably the time to be thinking about what the future looks like - spending £100 now but having no future expansion might be a PITA.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I think Paul's link may have been to a "sister" product which provides a USB link. There is a ST1 - Wifi product from the same company for < £100. It will output all the data fed to it from ST1 on one Wifi "stream". Which App do you intend to use on the iPad? Orca would work nicely if you use the Orca app but perhaps not with others? It would however add GPS, compass etc to the mix being sent to the ipad which may or may not be helpful. It will also open up the possibility to interface with an autopilot.

But I'd start with a sheet of paper and work out what you want a bit like a simplified version of Baggy's drawing above. ST1-STNG is possible but don't fall into the trap of thinking its just one cable. STNG-N2K (NMEA2000) are essentially the same electronics standards so its physical connectors that are different (so is relatively easy). But this is probably the time to be thinking about what the future looks like - spending £100 now but having no future expansion might be a PITA.
You're correct, apologies to CPD, i linked to the wrong version.

Try this : ST1toWiFi

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi Paul, My understnding is that this device would give 1 wifi network, potentially for each parameter being measured eg depth, speed etc and any ipad (other brands available) would need to log into each seperate network to read each parameter, whereas the orca (yes on the face of it expensive) would give all parameters (and more than just the basics) in one network and potentially all on one screen. Thats how I have read it anyway. Gladl to be corrected ........... (or connected even :love::cool::love::cool::love:) ..........
Sorry i linked to the wrong version, see : ST1toWiFi

Should send all of your Seatalk data over wifi.

Well worth following the suggestion from ylop to consider what you may do in the future, before committing to buy anything now.

Dilemma

Visit site
On my boat I have the VelaNavega NMEA2 converter, Nmea2Wifi, which takes the NMEA data from my Ray ST60 network and makes it available on WiFi for Navionics running on my iPad and Android