Confused ... Re Yyachtinsurance

moresparks

Visit site
Anybody else received this:-

Data Protection regulations require us to draw your attention to the revised Privacy Statement on our website
We are exploring options to best look after our clients bearing in mind the following:
International and National Underwriters/Insurers losing their appetites for insuring yachts and boats throughout the world.
Premium increases.
The probable effects of Covid and Brexit on most insurers.
We will keep you updated.
With best wishes,
Barrie Sullivan

Not sure why I received this or how they got my name as I do not insure my boat with them... not even requested a quote ... very strange!!

superheat6k

Visit site
Perhaps try Craftinsure instead - I did and 3 weeks later they have stood right by me in my hour of need.

Now I would suggest they are highly recommended based upon my specific claim experience. But I only went to them because I was fed up with year on year 20 - 40% compound announced fee increases with Y Yachts - or am I breaking GDPR by mentoining this ?

gordmac

Visit site
I got that from a different company, boat sold a while ago so no insurance. Assumed it was some sort of scam but not sure how it would work.

beermonkey

Visit site
Anybody else received this:-

Data Protection regulations require us to draw your attention to the revised Privacy Statement on our website
We are exploring options to best look after our clients bearing in mind the following:
International and National Underwriters/Insurers losing their appetites for insuring yachts and boats throughout the world.
Premium increases.
The probable effects of Covid and Brexit on most insurers.
We will keep you updated.
With best wishes,
Barrie Sullivan

Not sure why I received this or how they got my name as I do not insure my boat with them... not even requested a quote ... very strange!!
If they have your personal data (email) on file without your express permission they are in breach of legislation and subject to a fine for each incidence. They are obliged to tell you what data they hold, where they got it and why they are using it.

Greg2

Visit site
Just received the same and I am a customer. If genuine, an odd thing to e-mail about a change in their Privacy Policy and to include a message about the insurance market, which in itself isn’t written very clearly.

Edit: just looked at the originating e-Mail address and it looks a little suspect to me. Perhaps they have been the victim of a data breach

markc

Visit site
If they have your personal data (email) on file without your express permission they are in breach of legislation and subject to a fine for each incidence. They are obliged to tell you what data they hold, where they got it and why they are using it.
that's not entirely true because if you had asked for a quotation in the past, they are entitled to collect your email address and store it for future use as a legitimate part of the process of 'doing business' Of course if they continue to communicate with you, they should give you the opportunity to unsubscribe. I also presume that their privacy policy gives all the other data options that enable them to comply with GDPR, no that I've checked of course.

I also received the email, and agree that it was clumsily written. If their prices keep climbing, customer attrition will be tough on their business

beermonkey

Visit site
that's not entirely true because if you had asked for a quotation in the past, they are entitled to collect your email address and store it for future use as a legitimate part of the process of 'doing business' Of course if they continue to communicate with you, they should give you the opportunity to unsubscribe. I also presume that their privacy policy gives all the other data options that enable them to comply with GDPR, no that I've checked of course.

I also received the email, and agree that it was clumsily written. If their prices keep climbing, customer attrition will be tough on their business
To be precise; they can only use your email for "it's intended purpose" which, in the case of a quote, is a mechanism to communicate with you about the quote they are obliged to ask your permission, explicitly, to store your email for any future communication. You have to "opt in" to accept future communication, it isn't implied.

Overview of the GDPR legislation (as adopted by the UK - 2018 Data Protection Act)

markc

Visit site
To be precise; they can only use your email for "it's intended purpose" which, in the case of a quote, is a mechanism to communicate with you about the quote they are obliged to ask your permission, explicitly, to store your email for any future communication. You have to "opt in" to accept future communication, it isn't implied.

Overview of the GDPR legislation (as adopted by the UK - 2018 Data Protection Act)
The point I was making was that they are not necessarily breaking the law. Plus, a company can use a soft opt-in when someone has asked for a quote, e.g. a pre-ticked box, rather than require express permission.

Anyway, armchair lawyering to one side, and more to the point, it's interesting how Y Insurance were regarded as the 'bees knees' in these parts when their prices were low and their cover very comprehensive, but how they've been eroding their goodwill by the way they have been communicating about the price increases over the last 18 months e.g. "we're putting premiums up by 5%" then changing an extra 20%

I have been very happy with them for 4 years, and they dealt with a couple of claims very efficiently, but I'm certainly going to shop around come renewal time.

lynallbel

Visit site
Just received their e mail, visited their site and read the privacy statement, it reads to me pretty much like car insurance, ie they will talk to other parties and share info etc, sounds like the boat ins game has had their share of scammers na dthey are trying to put a stop to it?

Personally I like them, polite, quick to answer emails etc, never claimed and hope to never have to.

beermonkey

Visit site
The point I was making was that they are not necessarily breaking the law. Plus, a company can use a soft opt-in when someone has asked for a quote, e.g. a pre-ticked box, rather than require express permission.

Anyway, armchair lawyering to one side, and more to the point, it's interesting how Y Insurance were regarded as the 'bees knees' in these parts when their prices were low and their cover very comprehensive, but how they've been eroding their goodwill by the way they have been communicating about the price increases over the last 18 months e.g. "we're putting premiums up by 5%" then changing an extra 20%

I have been very happy with them for 4 years, and they dealt with a couple of claims very efficiently, but I'm certainly going to shop around come renewal time.
Not from the armchair, passive-aggressive insult accepted.

A core principal of the GDPR is that it requires the consent of subjects for data processing.

If that consent is not explicitly given, and the data is used, it is a breach of the law.

If one receives an email from a company one has never interacted with, let alone provided with personal information, and they "market" to you without consent, it is a crime.

Please do point me to the relevant section of the legislation that you "believe" supports your demonstrably ill-informed perspective.

alt

Visit site
Got the same e-mail. I'm insured with Y.

I must email them in the morning to confirm that my cover won't be affected when UK leaves EU (I'm based in Republic of Ireland)

ThomasW

Visit site
Seems like just some email they had to send out for legal reasons when they updated their privacy policy on the website maybe.

I switched to USAA recently and have never been happier.

admillington

Visit site
I am insured with them and received the email. My renewal is not until May next year, so the email seem unusual and pointless and almost suggesting that they are going to struggle to offer future insurance.
They have always been very professional and I am surprised

Andrew