condensation

clyst

Visit site
This is our first attempt of winter live aboard in the UK . Fine so far but have a nuisance of condensation night time . All heating is background electric although ventilation is limited . Whats the secret of a dry boat in the UK ? Don't say open hatches cos its bloody nippy ! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Cheers

Terry

mandlmaunder

Visit site
You have to learn to sleep without breathing!

The problem of condensation is not just a UK thing , it occurs anywhere the temparature drops below due point..

Try putting a net type curtain over your companion way with 1 or 2 drop brds in so you can still have air movement.

nathanlee

Visit site
I'm currently having this problem.

The boat, for the most part, is fine, but areas where the insulation has worn (under the cockpit seating/quarter berth) it quickly gets very wet in the evenings.

I bought some yago mats form Tesco (c£3) and cut them up, and spray glued them to the under side of hatches. That's stopped condensation building up there, and keeps the boat ever so slightly warmer. I think i'm going to do the same thing under the cockpit.

The biggest problem is insulation really. I can have the fan heater on and it warms the boat up like an oven, but within 5 minutes of turning it off, the temperature is right down again.

If only I'd bought an etap /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...fan heater ... warms the boat up like an oven, but within 5 minutes of turning it off, the temperature is right down again...

We found the same problem when over-wintering in London and cured it with the purchase of a small thermostatically controlled oil-filled radiator. It provided a much more even heat and we left it on more or less 24/7, just 'topping-up' with the fan heater occassionally; It was approx 12 x 4 x 16", cost about £10 from B&Q and lived under the saloon table or beneath the forecabin bunk infill on really cold nights.

We weren't impressed with a dehumidifier though, fortunately it was only borrowed so soon got returned; on a small boat it just took up too much space and the extracted water splashed out whenever you bumped into it - if you're living onboard I'd go for natural ventilation and just turn up the thermostat a couple more degrees.

[2574]

Visit site
i third the dehumidifier - life's a lot more pleasant on board. Nothing else will do. Best though to buy one that will cope with low temperatures and will automatically defrost itself. More expensive that the B&Q cheap jobbies but necessary if left unattended. You also must have a drain function so that you don't have to continually manually empty the tank.

JerryHawkins

Visit site
We have had a couple of "standard" compressor-type dehumidifiers which have failed before too long (normally just outside guarantee period!) and have also been noisy and inefficient at low temperatures. Then we got a Ruby-Dry (see http://www.dry-it-out.com/ruby-dry-amber-dry-dh600-dehumidifier ). This is an excellent piece of kit, very light weight when empty and very quiet on the slow fan speed. It also provides a little background heating. Only issue - it doesn't re-start after power failure. There is an updated model from the same place as above called the X-Dry, which does. Worth a look.

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
We spent 3 winters aboard in the UK.

(i) insulate. Yoga mats or cheap camping roll is good - as much of hull as you get to above the water line and, like you said, on the underside of hatches especially under bunks Also get something to improve air circulation under sleeping bodies eg ventair or the ikea slats.
(ii) - the dreaded ventilation is esential (plus perhaps additional blankets and pyjamas. Even some dorado vents make a big difference and if you can manage an open port even better. A lot cheaper than a fancy dehumidifer and taking up a lot less space!
(iii) we have used the little dehumidifiers that you need to empty - ok if you're living aboard, and they're quite good in the cabin you're sleeping in. Definitely second oil-filled rads, again especially where you're sleeping (make getting up bearable).
(iv) lift up and air sleeping bunk mattresses/cuchions once a week (though on some boats everyday!) and get air around them
(v) ventilate lockers by eg rattan inserts in doors, drilling airholes etc. It really helps protect clothing and kit.
(vi) if you have a deck saloon 'double glaze' the windows with heat shrink plastic. Works a treat.

Hope this helps

futurama

Visit site
To be effective de-hums need to be used in an enclosed area,so it's best not to have much ventilation, otherwise you're trying to de-hum the whole planet!

temptress

gbr195t.com
Ventilation, ventilation and ventilation. I’ve lived on board over the winter in Norway, the UK and the Med. Concensation is always an issue there and IMO ventilation and airflow are the key. Yes you can use a de-humidifier but it’s a loosing battle as you need to seal the boat and stop breathing – neither of which I have been able to manage.

Why not turn the cabin into a dehumidifier of sorts? Just heat it up and blow some of the Air to the outside. If the air in the cabin is warmer than the air outside it will hold more moisture so send some of the heated outside and it takes the moisture with it. Heat up the incoming air and it absorbs the moisture…..

I do this by leaving a number of hatches slightly open, using a storage heater in each cabin, Eberspreacher heating and a FAN heater to supplement when it’s really cold (was -40 in Norway!). Condensation is never stopped but greatly reduced. Having curtains on the windows and covers on the inside of the hatches also helps and stops draughts