Composting toilets

jimali

Visit site
Hi. I am currently in the Med heading east and do not have a holding tank as yet. Due to lack of space for fitting one I am considering a composting toilet such as one of these http://www.naturesheadeurope.com/. They appear competitive with a tank installation and far easier to install. Holding tank suppliers at the boat show were sceptical, but then they would be.

Has anyone any experience of using them for real, long term.

Thanks

Jim

ianabc

Visit site
Composting heads...

The origamiboats forum on yahoo ( about metal boats built using the folded steel or aluminium method) has a gthread about composting toilets.....

Simes

Visit site
Dry Composting Heads

Hi Jimali,

We fitted a Natures Head in July (we live aboard, family of three). Just as you say it was the lack of plumbing and no overboard dump that attracted us. We do pour the urine overboard each evening but as this is a fairly nutral substance being devoide of protines and fats / phosphates we feel ok about this.

It does smell a little, mostly of damp soil (we use dark peat from the locall hardwear store although sawdust, thin strips of news paper, Coconut husk, potting compost would all work), and the urine can smell as it is poured overboard but the smells are not unplesant.

It took us a couple of months to get used to the new system (sitting down to pee) and not flushing (this still catches us out).

Fitting was straight forward, we fitted a solar powered vent and this seems to work fine.

The systems last about 1 month for solids and one day for liquids (add a tea spoon of sugar to the liquid tank to help reduce the smells).

We all think the system is fantastic and would recommend it to everyone.

Regards Simes

Fabian1956

Visit site
We have a Sunmar marine loo. We installed it 3 years ago. For the same reasons as you we decided to go this way.

Now we find we can stay on inland and sensitive waterways far longer than most boats and after having made many refinements are quite happy with it.

The major change was to place a urine tray at the top of it for number 1s which drains to a gravity fed 1.5 liter interim urine tank. This is then pumped to a 5 litre above water level holding tank which when required is then either allowed to flow thru the original toilets seacock or can be drained to a canister for dumping ashore.

Our inland waterways are legislated ridiculously to prohibit all sewage waste from entering the waterway so this method keeps us legal when in restricted waters. The rest of the time it goes to sea.

All No 2s go into a drum which is rotated every few days. Once a month we empty what’s referred to as the finishing tray at the very bottom of the unit. This goes on the grass or a garden as straight compost. We are often in remote locations where the country is blessed by our droppings otherwise it ends up in a garbage bin. By this stage it is much less offensive than regular garbage. After the finishing tray is emptied we rotate the drum the wrong way which drops about 20% of the drums contents into a bottom finishing tray ready to be emptied the next month.

There is a small fan that operates 24/7 which exhausts air to the outside from within the toilet but it is rare to have any offensive smells. Most other yachties comment our head is less smelly than regular marine heads.

There is a fair bit more detail in the maintenance and routine to the loo and if you are interested feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Fabian

ADLS

Visit site
i have a friend who hire out construction site/event portable toilet units that have a composting system for the solid waste. The unit uses an ordinary toilet bowl with a water flush that discharges through the composting unit fitted under the floor and into a suitable drain, the solid waste stays in the unit a compost with the aid of an earth meduim.
I'm contacting the manufacturer to see if trials can be set up to see if the unit would word on a boat, would the motion effect the motions?????? Will it work with a yacht heeling etc etc
I do understand that the dimentions can be varied though the overall size must remain the same.
Do you lot have any comments.

Biofast_System1558x600.jpg

Lazeemouse

Visit site
we are considering installing a natures head composting toilet in our boat, but are interested in the logistics of emptying the solid compartment. It appears that you literaly have to dig it out, is that the case and also how does this work in relation to regular use. I can imagine that it can't be that pleasant if it has been used yesterday! Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

Ric

Visit site
This is an interesting concept and I would like to know a lot more - but their website really has very little detail about how it actually works. It also states prominently "proudly made in the USA" which to me is synonymous with poor build quality and no after sales service..

Are there any European dealers?

OldBawley

Visit site
Bear in mind that in Turkey where new rules are to be “Interpreted by the authorities” your compost toilet will be of no meaning. The blue card system will allow no exceptions whatsoever. Even if there is no toilet on board, you must posses the card and empty. No way to escape the control and deliver policy. The new rules will only be implemented in special circumstances. In Turkey, negotiating with the controlling officer, that you have a special toilet or only use land toilets, I doubt.
Some example: you are anchored in a lovely empty bay. Big boat comes in, a handy is pulled, half an hour later the “Turmepa Police” and the coastguard come to pay you a visit. Friendly but insistent, you are ordered to leave the bay. Otherwise some problems may be found.
Mr secretary of state of a county 3 times bigger than GB has some strings to pull. Privacy first.

Visit site
I built the one described in my book for under $50. Works well, and has for many years. Wouldn't consider anything else.
I put the forest liter you find under old logs in, after dumping it. That stops the solids from sticking, and it dumps out easily.
Some dump the solids in a plastic garbage bag and throw it in a dumpster. I throw it under a log in the bush ,and a week or two later you can't find it,
it composts so completely.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I built the one described in my book for under $50. Works well, and has for many years. Wouldn't consider anything else.
I put the forest liter you find under old logs in, after dumping it. That stops the solids from sticking, and it dumps out easily.
Some dump the solids in a plastic garbage bag and throw it in a dumpster. I throw it under a log in the bush ,and a week or two later you can't find it,
it composts so completely.

It seems you are having a 'catch-up' on ancient threads. I have read several new posts from you this morning, on threads ranging from 4 - 10 years old.

Visit site
Yes, I haven't been here for a while. Last time I checked, it was not this focused. I never went thoroughly thru it before. My posts are just as relevant now, and hopefully, can help those looking for such info.

It seems you are having a 'catch-up' on ancient threads. I have read several new posts from you this morning, on threads ranging from 4 - 10 years old.