Competent Crew Courses

starboard

Visit site
Would totally agree with Jimi......I started in dinghies 40 years ago, without doubt the best way to get to grips with the theory behind sailing, real seat of the pants and to me the only way to learn. If you can sail a Mirror dinghy around a gravel pit in light airs you will manage a Nicholson 55 across the ocean with a bit of understanding. Give me a dinghy sailor any day and I know I will have a good crew aboard. I think there is too much made of these RYA course's for larger vessel's........lining the pockets with gold.......not mine I must admit!!!!!!

Paul.

Mazzyh

Visit site
Thanks Jeremy,

I will check this out, thanks for the advice

Cheers
Mazzyh /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mazzyh

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would totally agree with Jimi......I started in dinghies 40 years ago, without doubt the best way to get to grips with the theory behind sailing, real seat of the pants and to me the only way to learn. If you can sail a Mirror dinghy around a gravel pit in light airs you will manage a Nicholson 55 across the ocean with a bit of understanding. Give me a dinghy sailor any day and I know I will have a good crew aboard. I think there is too much made of these RYA course's for larger vessel's........lining the pockets with gold.......not mine I must admit!!!!!!

Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will take your advice Paul,
I will check out the local clubs, there are a few gravel pits around here.
I live not to far from Rutland water, so I shall enquire there first.

mazzyh /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

starboard

Visit site
Hi Mazzy,

It's been nice to see how you have responded and acknowledged everyone's response....that's not the norm on the forum but nice to see you have taken the time and effort. Good luck with sailing...you will never look back....nor ever be rich again....may be better off standing under a cold shower tearing £20 notes up......!!!!
Paul

dedwards

Visit site
Mazzy,

Just to clarify - its not essential to get dinghy experience before a comp crew course. They expect you to know nought when you start it (like I did) and if you have a modicum of intelligence and awareness you'll have no problems.
Though dinghy sailing is good experience and will help your helming and sail theory no end, these are only part of the course (and a part that the CC doesnt worry about too much)

What I think the other guys are trying to say is that all experience is good experience and dinghy sailing is a great way to improve your sailing ability. If you do the CC first, you'll want to go dinghying to become a better sailor. while if you go dinghying first, you'll want to do your CC to learn all of the ancilliary things associated with safety at sea on a £70,000 vessel

My advice is to just get out there and have a go...

ColdFusion

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify - its not essential to get dinghy experience before a comp crew course. They expect you to know nought when you start it (like I did) and if you have a modicum of intelligence and awareness you'll have no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree totally - no prior sailing experience or knowledge required before doing CC. I considered dinghy sailing to build experience but the thought of getting THAT wet didn't appeal. Dinghy sailing is much cheaper though and it's on your doorstep

richardknight

Visit site
Hi Mazzyh - I have to agree with everyones advice here, it's all good. I started out in a dinghy near Reading and moved on to yachts a few years later. I love both...even if I don't have a dinghy any more (but would like one!).

The RYA web site lists all RYA schools, or if you want something which profile a variety of RYA schools all on one site with the pricing information you were looking for then try www.marsbrookboating.com

Good luck

Richard

alant

Visit site
When choosing courses the (not so obvious) things that you can consider are:
The boat you will be taught on.
The student:teacher ratio.
Is food included?
is it any good?
mooring fees included?
clothing hire included?

As well as considering the above list, check (insist) that you are on a boat with at least 2 other comp crew students. If you are on one with a high ratio of Day Skipper/Yachtmaster students, you may not be shown enough of the basics & the also the others could use you as a dogsbody.
I make sure that all students on a boat get a try at everything, including pontoon bashing & berthing (you've all paid so why should you be excluded from anything).
Getting 'hands on' early, can give confidence (carefully monitored) & the other more experienced can still learn from any mistakes the newbees make (everybody makes them, including the instructor - who simply turns it into another teaching opportunity, advising students it was intentional).

Mazzyh

Visit site
thanks Greg look forward to hearing how you got on with your course
Good Luck and have lots of fun
xx
Mazzyh

Mazzyh

Visit site
Thank you Richard, all the advice has been great and am looking forward to getting started.
I have been in contact with local sailing club now and am going to go along to try my hand at dinghy sailing.
Don't even mind getting wet <smile>

Sounds like you have a great love for sailing, i hope I shall enjoy it as much.

Take Care
xx Mazzyh
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mazzyh

Visit site
thank you for the good information Alan t
I shall make sure I check out all your pointers
Many Thanks
mazzyh
x

Mazzyh

Visit site
Paul thank you for the good advice,
I always like to respond when good folks are prepared to help a total novice like me.

It has been really good to see how seasoned sailors are willing to go out of their way to give guidance.
Once again thank you.
I will let you know how I get on x
Happy and Safe Sailing.

Mazzyh
x
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif