Compass Fluid

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
There is no mention of it in the Plastimo catalogue, other than to suggest that you contact their customer service section if your compass has lost fluid.
Compasses use either mineral oil based fluid or alcohol based fluid - both are readily available but you have to know which your compass has.

chewi

Visit site
Yes...
I topped up my Contest compass with Johnsons baby oil, identified by comparing the smell and testing for a while.
Just make sure you explain the leak first

remove the bung screw, pump some of the fluid into a clean container so you can dry out the crack and seal it with araldite, then top it back up with the original fluid and then some Johnsons to the brim and refit the screw.

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have found SIRS Navigation to be very helpful at providing oil for my compasses. Swift response too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sirs are the company that took over all Sestrel side ..

Chemists can supply suitable :

Many have Isopropanol / distilled water mix.

or a baby oil type - which Johnsons is a very close alternative.

Use of Gin / Vodka etc. in the wrong one can have serious repurcussions for your compass requiring dismantling and cleaning before refilling.

Baby oil is a good fluid to change to as it is less likely to develop bubbles, damps card more than alcohol / water blend and is easily available across any supermarket shelf. But you must clean internals from all residues of isopropanol etc. if changing to it.

VicS

Visit site
A year or two ago neil_s found out that the correct fluid for his Plastimo compass was one of the range of Esso Bayol oils. Now unfortunately no longer available.

I believe though that the compass repairers can now supply a suitable alternative.

In the event he used ordinary domestic paraffin .... successfully as far as I am aware. Next time I see him I'll ask if it is still OK as he is not a frequent visitor to the forums.

The only sound advice that you can be given, however, is to obtain the correct fluid from a compass repairer. If you use the incorrect fluid you may do no more than affect the damping is the fluid is the wrong viscosity or you may completely wreck it if you use something incompatible with the compass internals, seals or card markings.

Sirs Navigation has been mentioned. BPSC Marine is another .... and an occasional contributor to these forums.

DownWest

Visit site
Quite right. I filled up the compass on a small French aircraft with gin, on the advice of the CAA area surveyor. Stripped off the numbers..... And Plastimo is French...
A