company boats and VAT

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
I have picked up on some of the previous posts ref. proof of VAT paid and would like some advice on my own particular situation in which I am buying a yacht registered and kept in the UK but owned and operated through a company. The boat was bought second-hand by a director of this company and the purchase price was ex of VAT.

The sale particulars that I saw quoted two prices , one with and one without VAT. As a private purchaser I obviously have to pay the full monty including VAT. As I understand it, the seller is responsible for passing on the VAT element to the Revenue. What paperwork should I ask for as proof that the VAT has been paid.
We intend to take this boat to the Med for at least a year and naturally want all the documentation to be in order. Any advice please? I may add that the seller is in no way a shady character. He runs a legitimate business and I know where he lives!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Vat receipt on paperwork which clearly shows the companies VAT number is all you need. If they are a company, this should be no problem

<hr width=100% size=1>Me transmitte sursum, caledoni

tcm

Visit site
If the company has been set up specifically to operate the yacht..i wonder if you could just buy the company? This is normal practice for buying private planes. That way you don't have to pay VAT. Not an option if it's sunsail, ahem..

Note that the original documentation for a uk mainland-delivered boat always shows the VAT on the invoice, and it's always paid - but then claimed back if the company is operating the boat commercially rather than as a consumer.

But anyway, to answer your question, the invoice withe vat reg number will do as brendan says. But technically, it's no guarantee that the vat hasn't been claimed back as above, but this doesn't happen in france frexample.

<hr width=100% size=1>