Comfort and The Cruising Yacht.

jac

Visit site
With apologies to the Nicholson book of the same name.

I just received some spam from a certain nautical company headed up comfort for the crew which set me thinking.

What one thing is the most important thing to create "comfort" on a typical cruiser?

My vote a decent bunk, Big enough to stretch fully out but small enough to not be thrown around in. Dry warm and with enough padding to cushion you from the base and with minimal movement.

Any other ideas?

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jac on 28/05/2003 00:22 (server time).</FONT></P>

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
A bottle of good malt . . .

- Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>http://www.bluemoment.com</A></font size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
This could be a huge topic. Very subjective. Here is my list:

1. Bunks. Should be used for sleeping, not as settees, and should be 6ft 6ins x 2ft with 4" mattress and (very important) 3ft of clear headroom over them (this allows sitting up). Pilot berths located in the middle of the boat, outboard of settees, and under the side decks, are best.

My boat has one such bunk, which everyone who has slept in it has voted their best bunk ever. (When I rebuilt the accomodation I was an unmarried singlehander......now my wife gets the best bunk...)

2. Seats. A variety of shapes and surfaces in different positions is best. For eating at a table you want quite a different sort of seat to the one you use for sprawling in, and you need somewhere to sit in wet oilskins whilst taking off boots etc.

3. Grabrails. And more grabrails. And a few posts as well.

4. Minimum width of doorways 2ft. Less is possible but miserable.

5. Stowage for sleeping bag, pillow and clothes at the end of each bunk.

6. Wet locker adjacent to companion.

7, Somewhere Larry Pardey says that the galley is infinitely more important than the chart table, and should be as large and as comfortable as possible. Belatedly I realise this is true. L shape is best.

8. For me, a coal stove is essential equipment. Cheers everything up no end and dries everything, fast. But it has to be built in properly.

9. Lighting. NOT flourescents or anything in the overhead but carefully positioned and plenty of them, so you have a little light, where you need it.

10. A wet end of the cabin and a dry end.

11. Heads compartment should also be a decent size and if possible should have a practical shower. Nice if you can stand up in it....

12. Forecabin should be primarily for stowing wet sails and gear, at least when at sea. Two tiddly little V berths means nowhere to put anything.

13. It must be possible for the off watch to get their heads down clear of saloon seating.

14. Boot locker near companion

15. Not too light (many will disagree).

16. A boat should be like a church, open from end to end (that is a quote from HW Tilman) so that you can get from one end to the other fast and everything ventilates.

17. On the subject of ventilation, Dorade boxes look very "salty", as the Americans say, but l do not think that they work at all well. What works brilliantly is a skylight with a dinghy over it - leave the lee flap open....

18. And, for me, all this in a heavy displacement hull with a slow motion and no risk of pounding......

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Saloon seats in many modern yachts are appallingly uncomfortable. Backs too upright for lounging, presumably to save a little internal space; cushions only 3 inches thick or less; squab length too short; back not high enough. We have been very disappointed on the few occasions that we have been tempted by the thought of changing boats. Very few under 40 ft have the comfort of those in our Sadler.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Dryness...

..down below.

SOme people have a foot of water in the bilge, damp stains everywhere and a solid lump in the sugar jar.

How can they live like this? Even when, years ago we cruised in 18ft of fibreglass we kept her dry and therfore WARM. Oilies were NEVER brought below being stuffed behind the sprayhood to dry after use. Bed clothes (yes duvets ARE best) were regularly aired and any spillage no matter how small was promptly wiped up.

Oh and the bottle of malt - of course!

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Depends on your sleeping bag

We use down filled climbing ones, and down pillows, with a couple of duvets as well. Which is to say that we keep our wooden boat nice and dry and well aired down below - my wife has indeed been seen dusting the bilge!

A contributor to damp and filth below is the anchor chain. Ours goes into an epoxy and glass cloth lined plywood box, without a drain hole, after a scrub, more or less, on the way in. Once a year the box gets cleaned out, but the mud and weed does not get into the bilges, (which are of course painted white!)

Quite a few GRP boats have significant deck leaks, from windows, deck fittings, and so on, which their owners do not seem to get round to fixing. There seems to be a theory that if its plastic it cannot leak so that drip is not really there!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Splendid

1. Bunks. My boat has one such bunk, which everyone who has slept in it has voted their best bunk ever. (When I rebuilt the accomodation I was an unmarried singlehander......now my wife gets the best bunk...)

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man give up his bunk for his wife

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dominic

Visit site
Boat was Better than the Flat

Over the last four years I have been struggling to find a flat with;

A better heating system than the one on my my boat
A bigger oven than the one on my boat
A hot water system better than the one on my boat
A better cooker than the one on my boat
A double sink, just like on my boat
A shower just like the one on my boat
A more comfortable double bed than the one on my boat

But my perspective is from a live-aboard where I don´t care how long a passage takes - just that it is comfortable.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Comfort topsides as well?

Such as a sprayhood strong enough that a breaking wave can hit it and still it stays put. Less need for so many wet lockers, and heaters if you don't get wet so often. Keeps the crew happy too. Keeps you warmer. (and they can be made to look good).

A helming position which is far enough forward in the cockpit that you can be sheltered. I mean, who wants a 10 foot cockpit stretching out ahead of you?

A rounded (hump backed) helmsmans seat because there is always a comfortable position and the water can't collect under your backside.

A proper place for the HUGE thermos. Because comfort on a stormy passage to windward boils down to more basic criteria than comfort in port.

.... well there's a few ideas. My boat misses on all counts expcept the sprayhood is strong. Ugly as sin, though!

<hr width=100% size=1>Humperdinck

Email: HJ@Seacracker.org

B

bob_tyler

The seat of the pan in the heads to be as near as possible the same dimensions as in normal domestic use.

The human anatomy does not change shape when on a boat!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimboaw

Visit site
Re: Comfort topsides as well?

I have these two guys who work for me. Big George and Little George they have never yet requested sleeping accomodation. Just to save amps we declare a "George" holiday once in a blue moon. The idea of hand steering and long distance cruising has to be a joke?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: Electronic crew

As much as I admire "Arthur" (our ST4000+) in huge seas he needs a little help. In REALLY huge seas (5m+) I find he loses the plot once in a while. It's then I also appreciate the shelter!

<hr width=100% size=1>Humperdinck

Email: HJ@Seacracker.org

gtmoore

Visit site
Yes! - we replaced our perfectly good 'Compact' Jabsco with a 'Regular' version for this very reason!! One of the best modifications we made!

<hr width=100% size=1>Gavin

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: easy

twistedcan

i am assuming the woman will bring one with her
that is the ace thing about them
get the woman on the boat
and she (n well mine does) brings the food, beer, clothes, washing gear, bedding

all that and they can pull ropes
essential i'd say
more use than bloody nappy rash cream. unless you have found sometwisted new use for it.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>