Colvic watson

oldmonsty

Visit site
I suppose that my ideal boat would be a biggish colvic watson or similar but I can't afford one so I am looking at a Colvic Watson 26 tomorrow to see if it might suit. Any comments?

oldmonsty

Visit site
Colvic Watson 26

I could well have been very interested BUT it is not a bilge keeler and I don't want to be paying for marina owners to live a life of untold riches. It is also a tad too long as I have the possibility of a reasonable mooring but only up to 30'OA. Still I will bear it in mind and would be interested in your thoughts as I have also had offers of deep water swinging moorings. Not ready to bring you a carrier bag full of money just yet as I have a boat to sell but might take a hit to close a really good deal.

Jim

sarabande

Visit site
I had a CW34 for nearly 6 years. Excellent sea boats, far stronger than the crew. Loads and loads of space.

Tough as old boots. Very warm and friendly users group on Yahoo with lots of tech expertise.

Caer Urfa of this forum is the CW historian.

Go for it and enjoy the best form of sailing.

Beadle

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles f
Visit site
Colvic Watsons are long keel boats, they were not built as bilge keelers.

Some people have retro fitted "bilge keels" almost invariably with the intention of reducing rolling rather than as a thing for the boat to sit on. Having seen the design of some of these I would be reluctant to have the boat take the ground on a regular basis.

If you want to know anything about CWs it would be a good idea to pm CAER URFA, he is the archivist for the CW owners club and knows the breed better than anyone. He may take a different view to me so it would be helpful to call him I'm sure.

My thoughts would be that a pair of grounding legs would be a better option.

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
hello fellow owners :D. One of these days I will be back as a CW owner...

Jerry - did you get the Lynher incident resolved to your satisfaction ?

JerryHawkins

Visit site
LG good as new

hello fellow owners :D. One of these days I will be back as a CW owner...

Jerry - did you get the Lynher incident resolved to your satisfaction ?

Hi Tim,

Yes - all sorted now, nice shiny new paint job all round. Mind you only completed a month ago; 7 months in arguing with insurers etc, plus cold weather round xmas delayed painting.

oldmonsty

Visit site
Colvic Watson 26

Thanks for your replies.
I have tried previously to get into the Colvic Watson Web site but it appears to be only a personal sales site for a boat called Abemama which appears to have been for sale for sometime and also for something called a garage sale.
Yahoo drives me mad, I am registered for another forum but when ever I try to register for another one it won't let me. I would dearly love to join the group as it seems I need all the help that I can get.
I too would be concerned if bilge keels were not OE but there are three CW 26 on the web at the moment and all have 'bilge keels'. Don't say I have to start all over again :) or perhaps I should stick to my Sea Dog hunt?

JerryHawkins

Visit site
Contact me

Thanks for your replies.
I have tried previously to get into the Colvic Watson Web site but it appears to be only a personal sales site for a boat called Abemama which appears to have been for sale for sometime and also for something called a garage sale.
Yahoo drives me mad, I am registered for another forum but when ever I try to register for another one it won't let me. I would dearly love to join the group as it seems I need all the help that I can get.
I too would be concerned if bilge keels were not OE but there are three CW 26 on the web at the moment and all have 'bilge keels'. Don't say I have to start all over again :) or perhaps I should stick to my Sea Dog hunt?

PM Sent...

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Colvic Watsons are long keel boats, they were not built as bilge keelers.
Some people have retro fitted "bilge keels" almost invariably with the intention of reducing rolling rather than as a thing for the boat to sit on. Having seen the design of some of these I would be reluctant to have the boat take the ground on a regular basis.
My thoughts would be that a pair of grounding legs would be a better option.

Hello Beadle and Oldmonsty

You should have no problem in getting into the Colvic Watson Owners Group Site to join, try here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cwowners/
We are open to all flags and you are 'free' to join!

Beadle is correct, none of the Colvic Watsons were designed for bilge keels, the problem with retro fitting them is many have been fitted in the wrong place and during many of my inspections of Colvic Watsons I have found both stress cracks and leaks at the through the hull bolt connections, plus the design of some bilge keels leaves a lot to the imagination!

Oldmonsty I hope you find the CW 25'-6" you look at meets with your approval, finding a Colvic Watson is not a problem, finding a 'Good' Colvic Watson is the clever bit!

There are at least 6 CW 25'-6" up for sale at present some of which I have inspected in the last few months, you will find there is a big gap between the cheapest and the dearest, BUT, as all things in life you get what you pay for!

Be very sure what your looking at when viewing a CW 25'-6" on sale under £18k or so called bargain!

If I can help drop me a PM.

Good Luck
Mike

Last edited:

seabiskit

Visit site
I'm having the same problems with yahoo and cannot access the owners group.
Any chance of getting info on the Colvic 34 Fisher Special which looks like a watson with a sloop rig?