Colour of antifoul

bobtooke

Visit site
Does colour of antifoul make any difference to its effectiveness?
I've been told that the most effective is black and the darker colours. The worst are the lighter colours.
I wanted to use an off white so as to blend with the gelcoat appearance but not if it's at the expense of effectiveness.
Can anyone offer advice or experience?
Thanks all.

kashurst

Visit site
Darker colours do seem to work better. They don't reflect the light that encourages the fuzzies.
white or pale gray show the dirt really quickly and start to look a bit scruffy.

bobtooke

Visit site
Hmm point taken. Seems like black is the way to go then to avoid looking rough, aside from effectiveness.

TheOrs

Visit site
Someone told me the lighter colours have less copper, as the copper darkens the 'paint'.
Not sure how true it is though.

Sneds

Visit site
Had White once a few years back, looked great for a couple of weeks

Black every time now, don't know about effectiveness s but look a whole lot better for longer

Bouba

Visit site
Dark on light and light on dark. So you can always see the places that you missed when painting.

Momac

Visit site
Since I have recently spent some time wet sanding it seems to me there is a lot of pigment in antifoul paint . The slightest touch with abrasive paper releases a rich colour. I guess this in part explains why it is so expensive.
Dark blue seems best in our area as the water is muddy and limescale is the main element of any fouling.

Orthop

Visit site
I always have black, because of the arguments above. The new antifoul should tolerate the existing one, if not removed. When is the right time to remove totally the old layers of antifoul and make a completely new set up? 10 years?