cockroaches on board

houldsworth

Visit site
anyone know the best way of eradicating them, the blighters are under the fixed boards and only appear for a moment in open spaces at bottom of lockers. is there a powder you can put down that might kill them, spray is only good if you zap them but you have to wait for them to appear.
(I think they hitched a ride from Turkey)
Charles in Poros

macd

Visit site
This stuff was recommended to me in the Carib, and really does the business. Never found it in Europe, but it can be had via eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Combat-Ro...ol-/181122546817?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Myself and others I know have had it shipped by this supplier to Europe without problem.

There are various home-made solutions based on boric acid crystals, which a spot of googling will throw up.

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
like propane, perhaps ? But ask the roaches to put out their reefers.

Seriously if you think you have imported them from Turkey, there may be problems with other invasive species - termites, etc.

grafozz

Visit site
I had them on board 2 years ago , its pretty horrible , but fear not . Go to the local chemist and buy Boric acid in powder form , mix with a little sugar and water , place in small jar lids all over the boat and they will gorge themselves on it and then they all die , it works very well . you will then have to scrupuosly clean everything on board as well as all the carcasses ..I found a sort of "nest " where they were hanging out , which I am told is a typical roach way of life . I used a hoover with small pipe attached to the end , to suck out the remains . took about a week . good luck

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We have just gone through the same experience. I bought some stuff called Aroxol from a Greek supermarket, emptied and cleaned lockers followed by spraying the aerosol inside. I also had a small amount of borax that I sprinkled in a horizontal crevice in one locker and made up a 'roach hotel' from a plastic box containing flour, sugar and borax. We also used the old-fashioned method, suddenly turn the light on at night and squash all the bugs that can be seen. We have not seen a bug for two days now, so hopefully all eradicated.

macd

Visit site
squash all the bugs that can be seen. We have not seen a bug for two days now, so hopefully all eradicated.

You may already be doing this, Vyv, but it's wise to wipe up the squashed remains with something like neat bleach. Viable eggs can be released when you squash them.
I'd suggest you also maintain your pesticide regime for a while: the next generation could be lurking.
Good luck.