Coasting….jonathan Raban

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Very little training in boating, perhaps, but highly trained and adept at writing.

It's a long time since I read it, but as I recall, like the wonderful and much later 'Passage to Juneau' (one of my favourite books of all time), the voyage is not the whole, or even main, focus, but rather a framework on which a whole lot of perceptive observation and thoughtful musing is hung on, unfolding and solidifying as as he progresses.

He was doing it at, er, a time (not for discussion here!) when the country was undergoing profound political and cultural change. It would be interesting to go back and read it now with the, er, benefit of how things have shaped up since (as well as to enjoy the quality of his writing).

Wansworth

Visit site
Very little training in boating, perhaps, but highly trained and adept at writing.

It's a long time since I read it, but as I recall, like the wonderful and much later 'Passage to Juneau' (one of my favourite books of all time), the voyage is not the whole, or even main, focus, but rather a framework on which a whole lot of perceptive observation and thoughtful musing is hung on, unfolding and solidifying as as he progresses.

He was doing it at, er, a time (not for discussion here!) when the country was undergoing profound political and cultural change. It would be interesting to go back and read it now with the, er, benefit of how things have shaped up since (as well as to enjoy the quality of his writing).
We should start a Raban fan club,unfortunately he died and I have yet to read all his books………I would really like to see pictures of Gosforth Maid!

LittleSister

Visit site
. . . unfortunately he died and I have yet to read all his books………

Lucky for you he did die, otherwise you'd never catch up and read them all!

I've not read them all, but have read 'Passage to Juneau' several times and will do again. It's very rich, and each time I read it I get a better understanding of some of the many things he talks about, and rediscover details I'd forgotten.

Wansworth

Visit site
Lucky for you he did die, otherwise you'd never catch up and read them all!

I've not read them all, but have read 'Passage to Juneau' several times and will do again. It's very rich, and each time I read it I get a better understanding of some of the many things he talks about, and rediscover details I'd forgotten.
I agree and his use of words and descriptions of the water and in passage to Juno his interesting comments on Indian art……and of course that man Vancouver……..what would have made of the ybw forum members😂….inhope I always checkout the bookshops when I the Uk

LittleSister

Visit site
"Coasting" is also available as an audio book from Amazon Audible.

Most audio books are abridged, which would be a shame.

(I personally find the pace and phrasing of most audiobook readers rather irksome, and also prefer to pause, savour, re-read at will, or even power onward at pace when I feel like it. But each to his own.)

Poignard

Visit site
Most audio books are abridged, which would be a shame.

(I personally find the pace and phrasing of most audiobook readers rather irksome, and also prefer to pause, savour, re-read at will, or even power onward at pace when I feel like it. But each to his own.)
Ah, but the audibook allows you to get on with something else while you listen. Preferably something tedious that doesn't require much concentration, eg peeling spuds, scraping off antifoul, having a bath,...

Poignard

Visit site
Has your wife been consulting with Mrs. Wansworth on how best to keep boys away from boats? ;)
Before I bought our boat, I used to fly gliders.

Please don't tell The Old Guvnor but I have been taking a sneaky look at my old gliding club's website, and I see from the FAQs that there is no upper age limit for flying, and they only require a simple statement of health, ie, that one is not blind, suffering from heart disease, or mad (I should have no problem fulfilling the first two requirements).

So, next time she is out playing bridge . . . . . ;)