CMAP 93 and OpenCPN

truscott

Visit site
Anyone have the directory structure for getting the CMAP charts up on to a Navman Trackfish 6500? I know I can move my waypoints and routes across with a user data card (use OpenCPN for planning etc on the laptop and update the card easy enough) but have only the world base map at this stage. If I could get the charts to load up too, would be saving a considerable sum of dosh.

Cheers in advance. PT.

charles_reed

Visit site
Anyone using CM93 vector files with the old C-MAP4 viewer might like to know there is a more modern viewer here:

http://www.opencpn.org/download

opencpn also reads a host of other formats. With opencpn and free cm93 charts you can have a complete worldwide chartplotter for free (if you have the time to fiddle).

Cheers
Thanks for that Barry,

Downloaded and opened in Win7 (though a few minutes of horror 'cos I'd forgotten the charts' password).
Still have to put the ndis wrapper on for Linux.

charles_reed

Visit site
Yes indeed using them here, very happy too.

Just wish someone could get one or both to work on my Raymarine C120 as the cm93 I'm using is more up-to-date than the Navionics cartridge I bought just one year ago!

C.
Have to agree that the Navionics updating is sorely trailing - and the £89 they want for an update (though you get 12 months following update free) is excessive.

truscott

Visit site
The Navionics app on the iPhone gives far more detail than the CM93 charts available off the net (or the base charts that are on my Navman Trackfish for that matter). I guess OpenCPN isn't going to be able to display these anytime soon, so does anyone know if there is a Navionics app that runs on a PC (or an iPhone/iPad emulator for the PC)?

PT.

I did have it all up and running on my laptop whilst in Turkey last month, and can say that the CM93 charts were better than the Garmin Blue Chart, but neither were as good as the Navionics ones.

CM93 Screen Shot of Marti Marina;
MartiMarina-Orhaniye.jpg

Navionics Screen Shot of the same;
iPhonePictures221.png

FWIW The best detail came from the Turkish Hydrographic Office's 3000 Folio Series.

PT.

charles_reed

Visit site
The Navionics app on the iPhone gives far more detail than the CM93 charts available off the net (or the base charts that are on my Navman Trackfish for that matter). I guess OpenCPN isn't going to be able to display these anytime soon, so does anyone know if there is a Navionics app that runs on a PC (or an iPhone/iPad emulator for the PC)?

PT.

I did have it all up and running on my laptop whilst in Turkey last month, and can say that the CM93 charts were better than the Garmin Blue Chart, but neither were as good as the Navionics ones.

MartiMarina-Orhaniye.jpg

iPhonePictures221.png

FWIW The best detail came from the Turkish Hydrographic Office's 3000 Folio Series.

PT.
Unfortunately the Navionics cartography is frequently out of date and the accuracy is very variable.

It all depends on whether you want a pretty picture or accurate information.

I've found the latest CM93v2 charts far more up-to-date than the Navionics in the E Med.

truscott

Visit site
Hi Charles, the screen shot is from CM93V2 updated to Jan of 2010. Which version are you saying has better detail (I've seen reference to a September 2010 update but haven't found it as yet)?

As far as pretty pictures go, Ok, I accept that I may be swayed by the pic that appears to give more detail and that that in fact may be erroneous data, but the depth data shown in the screen shot of Orhaniye from my copy of CM93V2, is poor in comparison to the info given in the Navionics screen shot (we were moored at Fanari at the time and it pretty much matched what we saw on our sounder).

It does seem to be better for some of the Greek Ports though and I wonder if this is because the data sets that CM93 uses are older public domain data and that more up to date data has been commercially acquired through the various Hydrographic offices?

This is the case here in Bahrain, where Garmin wouldn't pay the Bahrain Hydrographic Office for their survey data. Consequently, Garmin's Charts are well and truly out of date (we have had HUGE reclamation projects here that have drastically changed the coastline, depths, etc... which are not reflected on Garmin Plotters) This was relayed to me last month by the retired adviser for the Bahrain Lands & Survey dept, whilst we were sailing together in Turkey and discussing this issue (I'd just set him up with OpenCPN and we were comparing it to what we were seeing on our Chartplotters and discussing whether or not it would be a good idea to scan paper charts in to use with OziExplorer).

As per my earlier post, I was quite happy with my real world test of OpenCPN with the CM93 charts I have, but found the paper charts to be more detailed, and to be fair, my Navman Trackfish was perfectly adequate for giving quick fixes, bearings and distances.

I'm currently off the boat and using my iPhone in conjunction with GE to plan our next sail (hoping to head to Thira).

Cheers, PT.

maby

Visit site

PT.

MartiMarina-Orhaniye.jpg

iPhonePictures221.png

PT.

Actually, the most interesting point is that both Garmin and CM93 put the coordinates listed on the Marti Marina web site well in-land!

Conachair

Visit site
How do you get Google earth plug in.

Here

Wasn't too hard to get to work. There are also progs around where you can sail your intended route on the laptop and it saves this to GE cache. Not played with them though, before I've just zoomed in on GE and panned across the bits I was interested in and it saves it to the cache so you can use it when not on wifi.

Useful nav too, GE, even on it's own. You see where boats tend to anchor and good for hunting down tracks through the local hills as well.

truscott

Visit site
Got to give OpenCPN the thumbs up for this, as I think it's a great feature.

Next on my list of things to try and get working is the KAP view where you merge the chart and GE pic, so that the land side is the GE Sat Pic, and the sea view is from your chart. Any pointers?

PT.

Hoolie

Visit site
Got to give OpenCPN the thumbs up for this, as I think it's a great feature.

Next on my list of things to try and get working is the KAP view where you merge the chart and GE pic, so that the land side is the GE Sat Pic, and the sea view is from your chart. Any pointers?

PT.

Try Paul Higgins' GE2KAP at http://www.gdayii.ca/index.php?p=1_2_Downloads.
It is an overlay not sea/land but it's excellent :)

charles_reed

Visit site
Hi Charles, the screen shot is from CM93V2 updated to Jan of 2010. Which version are you saying has better detail (I've seen reference to a September 2010 update but haven't found it as yet)?

As far as pretty pictures go, Ok, I accept that I may be swayed by the pic that appears to give more detail and that that in fact may be erroneous data, but the depth data shown in the screen shot of Orhaniye from my copy of CM93V2, is poor in comparison to the info given in the Navionics screen shot (we were moored at Fanari at the time and it pretty much matched what we saw on our sounder).

It does seem to be better for some of the Greek Ports though and I wonder if this is because the data sets that CM93 uses are older public domain data and that more up to date data has been commercially acquired through the various Hydrographic offices?

This is the case here in Bahrain, where Garmin wouldn't pay the Bahrain Hydrographic Office for their survey data. Consequently, Garmin's Charts are well and truly out of date (we have had HUGE reclamation projects here that have drastically changed the coastline, depths, etc... which are not reflected on Garmin Plotters) This was relayed to me last month by the retired adviser for the Bahrain Lands & Survey dept, whilst we were sailing together in Turkey and discussing this issue (I'd just set him up with OpenCPN and we were comparing it to what we were seeing on our Chartplotters and discussing whether or not it would be a good idea to scan paper charts in to use with OziExplorer).

As per my earlier post, I was quite happy with my real world test of OpenCPN with the CM93 charts I have, but found the paper charts to be more detailed, and to be fair, my Navman Trackfish was perfectly adequate for giving quick fixes, bearings and distances.

I'm currently off the boat and using my iPhone in conjunction with GE to plan our next sail (hoping to head to Thira).

Cheers, PT.
It may be the position or the quality of the new GPS receiver, but apart from ports which were modified 15 years ago and don't show on the navionics cartridge, the positions are frequently as much as 500m wrong (when tied up to a quay).
Rethymno, Kisisparissa wrong, but correct on CM93v2.
I tend to use the Lowrance more than the computer but only because of its much smaller current drain.

Having passed Thira (santorini) last month I'd advise against visiting on your own boat or in season. Likewise Kos, Milos, Naxos (except inland). All 'wincing' expensive, overcrowded, and lacking good anchorages.