Clueless...Going fishin

martin

Visit site
Boat goes back in at end of Feb all squeaky clean and lookin great...Am thinkin of visiting the Thames estuary in a couple of weeks as am coming under pressure from friends to do some sea fishing! God knows what we will do with the damm things if we catch any.. but I believe thats not the point. We will be a bunch of chaps doing manly things eh! Probably will all grow beards specially for the event and put on big thick jumpers to finish off effect. May even take a pipe! Err..No... am getting carried away now.

As I have never been in charge of a fishin trip before and its been a long time since I even went on one (I remember Mackerel fishin on the south coast when I was a nipper and another lad got large hook stuck in his hand...not pretty!) and tips on where to go and what to do with boat greatly appreciated..

e.g.
is it best to stop the boat and anchor or just bob about?
Do you go into shore or stay out in deep stuff
Any safety tips from others who have done this before?

Hmm have a feeling this whole thing has news at 10 written all over it......

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Bloody hell, I could have wrote this myself last year. So from one clueless, but been there to another clueless. Here are some tips. First thing to remember is. Your mates will put on an air of total expert, with one as ring leader and you will be the w**ker who wont do as told. Having been on two of what has become an annual pop group fishing trip to Plymouth. First thing you must have is a fish finder. Plasmo dose one that can be mouted inside the hull, for just over £200. This not only finds fish, if there are any, but more importantly puts you back in charge. Also have a look here. OK this is the address for Plymouth but if you scoot about a bit you should find a report on the Thames. Also look at diving sites for positions of wrecks. (Fishermen wont tell you)
www.harvey-mayson.co.uk/reports.html#plymouth

Ask at local fishing gear shop for best bait for area.
Take plenty of beer and butties.

You wont catch any fish cos they will all be sick a few minutes after boat has stopped and turns beem on to sea and starts to rock. Have plan B ready to head for nearest pub. Then have lengthy discusions on what went wrong and the one that got away!!

Haydn<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by hlb on Fri Feb 8 10:14:35 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

tcm

Visit site
yes this sounds right. I'm clueless too, and of course have done fishing and caught almost sod all.

I wouldn't eat fish caught in the thames estuary. The driving along bit is for catching monster marlin etc not in thames estuary. Just find somewhere a bit calm, anchor a bit.

For safety, buy fairly weedy lager/beer not tennants extra. Take loads of bait so that you definitely gave it a good try, and so it's the stupid fish's fault, not yours, when you don't catch anything. Take a hat cos the seagulls will turn up.

martin

Visit site
This sounds like good advise... can almost see the it happening...specially the Fish Finder and Incharge bit...

Can you dangle one over the edge as can be arsed mounting one thru hull just for 1st trip...if great sucess then maybe will do proper job...

DepSol

Visit site
Depends if you are uptiding or downtiding or downtiding on the drift or anchoring over a wreck/reef. You have to decide what you want to do and what you want to catch first then people can give you more specific info. What type of fishing gear do you have?

Dom

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Sory Martin just edited post. You can mount them inside. Trick is. Get a polythene bag full of water, hold sender on top of bag and move around bottom to find a good reception. Some where around middle of boat.

Haydn

martin

Visit site
oh yes...will def take hat..I am told by fishy friends its a crim offence to go without one....

Also agree with estuary fish advise... some suggest fish at night as they all glow in the dark..;-) will probably bomb up to billingsgate market on way home and buy proper eatin stuff...I believe you can get quite exotic stuff there so will need to be careful if story is to hold up...

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dangle over side is ok if stopped but not good at 20 knots when looking for fish.
Sender wont work untill firmly glued down cos air in between which it dont like. Also, some places it wont work so need to find right place. Bag of water moulds to bottom so no air in between. Then when you've found right place. Glue down sender. (Not the plastic bag!!)

Haydn

martin

Visit site
I knew sooner or later my complete ignorance of this subject was gonner be lit up like a very large brite thing ...er..

I have a couple of old 5ft boat rods...and sea fish reels and some line...but not sure about what to put on end though... obviously we need hooker things (now theres a thought...) but beyond that...er...any advise...

No idea what we want to catch...spose the easiest types that throw themselves at hooks!
what would that be in the estuary?
Spinners or hooks with bait?

DepSol

Visit site
Without going to much into it best is prob anchor and downtide juicy baits like worms with squid to sea bed and wait.

Lots to go into but these 5ft rods will have a class written on the side like 12lb 20lb this is important along with the type of reel, multiplier round drum sits still on rod or fixed spool wind handle and spool goes up and down like a bobbin collecting the line also has a bail arm to stop line from going out. If line is old then will def req replacing.

Best thing to do is buy Boat Angler or Sea angler mag or both to acquire lots of info, also try web site http://www.totalseaangler.com/

Dom

tcm

Visit site
Re: Expert fishing cheat

No - buy the fish BEFORE going fishing, so you can have beleievable photos of you holdim them (it) on boat and bring them straight home in bucket with salty seawater in and seaweed and bits of line. Put a hook with a bit of line in fishes mouth, dip in weater for shiny appearance, and dangle off line for actual big grin pic. Buy a really massive North sea fish. Get up dead early and go to billingsgate 5-6am, then fishing.

martin

Visit site

hey! this is biginin to sound much more like fun...
Wots a north sea fish loook like then...?
Will need to take pocket fish piccy book

tcm

Visit site

askem at billingsgate. Cod just must be ok, and quite nice. Or haddock? Tuna steak no good. I think you can say "we're after some cod" whilst getting ready for fishing which sounds very very expert, and you can ringer to check she is all ready to cook it from boat. The big grin is easy - of course you';re grinning cos of the monster cheat, but looks like elation at catching big fish. You need cash only at billingsgate.

hlb

RIP
Visit site

If not carefull. Fishing can get very complicated, with different rods, lines and hooks for everything. But when clueless and not knowing what to catch, just dunk something in. If rod or line breaks, so much the better for the one that got away story. Best IMHO Is a thing some people call. A Pattern Oscer ( Or similar) Its a short line with wire or plasticy things stuck out sideways, then hooks on end. Stick some bait on hookes, a few different sorts might be best for clueless. Then you need a big heavy weight on the bottom. Hair round in boat watching fish finder, when fish appear, back up a bit till fish under boat again. Drop big weight, hookes, line, over side. (Not rod). let down till it doinkes on the bottom. hold line a bit tight ish with weight on bottom. Drink beer. Some times fish not at bottom, so look at fish finder and wind up a bit. When beer drunk. Hair round again and look for fishing boat, then follow him, then start again. Only other slight thing to say that might not be helpfull. Nearly all fish gone south for the winter. Benidorm! I think. Oh and if you catch a big cod you have to hide it or not tell the big fishing patrol boat with gun on front. Or boat gets shot!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: Legless...Gone Drinking

Forget the fishing, it's just the excuse needed to get out with group of mates for boozing session. Best to go somewhere with good pubs very close by, tie up boat and then just go for it.

Make sure you're well stocked up for after hours, bacon and eggs also useful. Am available at very short notice to show you how it's all done!!

martin

Visit site
How do you keep radar on its arch?

Blimey...you are bigining to sound like proper fisherman..

I remember those wire thingys too..they look all clever when laid out on the deck but then seem to take on life of there own the minute you pick em up... seem to remember it all used to end up in big ball of line, bait, hooks and wire bits.. still something to em busy while hairin round in circles lookin for the fishes...

What about casting...how is this done if wish to retain radar on arch?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I go through this male bonding ritual every so often with some mates. The trouble with fish is that they BLEED and blood makes nasty stains on your teak decks and isnt easy to get off non slip grp either. Then some of your mates will want to smoke because the SWMBO's are not around so you've got fag ash and stubs mixed with the blood. Then for sure one or two of them will vomit because they've had too much beer the night before because the SWMBO's are not around. Then you'll catch a fish and it will flap about a lot and nobody will want to touch it so you'll spend 10 minutes trying to belt it with a boat hook. Then when its finally dead, you'll all feel silently guilty for ruining this poor defenceless creature's day.
My advice would be to avoid this ghastly ritual if you can. However if you cant, then buy a mackerel line, lob it over the side and troll about for 10 minutes. Mackerel being the most stupid fish you'll ever meet, they will surrender themselves in no time. Catch half a dozen or so for later presentation to SWMBO, retire to nearest pub as rapidly as possible. Job done

syd

Visit site
Hiya Martin
If its your first fishing expedition in the estuary I would suggest you go a bit further up river, not as spectacular as bobbing across The Black Deep or The Edinburgh Channel but much safer until you get know what you want to do, especially with the probabillity of having alcohollicly challenged fisher type chappies on board (I know, I am one). If your interested there is a good spot just off the entrance to Holehaven by the jetties, You WILL catch fish here whether it be with an uptider, downtider or a piece of string and a coat hanger.
Have fun
Syd