Clueless...Going fishin

martin

Visit site
Top man!...I remeber HoleHaven from when I used to berth at Burnham on crouch..right then, I now have all the bits of the plan...

Hollhaven with fish finder
week beer
new line and hooks
Back up supply of eatin fish caught from billingsgate

martin

Visit site
you know...yor right. about everythnig...weeze all a bunch of jessys really...and hadn't thought about blood and guts stuff. Will make rule that any fish caught get put back... straight away. Any blood on teak deck will def result ni more blood on teak deck followed by large splash!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Casting couch

Why should you ever want to cast from a boat, just move the ######ng boat!

Even if you do, still bet there's more fish exactly where you are than where you want to cast to!!!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well Like it says. Were clueless. But also like I said, I got a plasmo one. It seems to work well. 200 and odd quid. Cheapest I could find in a hurry at local chandelers. Must be able to get them cheaper some where. Bit of a fiddle to find good position on boat for good reception.

Haydn

richson

Visit site
Never fished Thames Estuary but, you should downtide. This means just dropping gear down from boat. Uptiding means chucking stuff about. Use simple tackle like running ledger (a sliding boom), with single or pennel (2 hooks, one at top of bait, one at bottom) rig. Use at least 15lB mainline and 30lb snood, about 3-4 ft long, with swivel connection and 8-10oz weights.
Use any rod that’s less than about 10ft (uptider, downtider, bass, boat) anything, other than a stick, it don’t really matter. Use any reel other than a multiplier without levelwind, it don’t really matter.
You can anchor up, or drift over anything that your fishfinder (and you got to have one of these or you ain’t catchin’ anything) can find, (rocks, gulleys, etc. is wot you are lookin for. Drifting means repeatedly passing over same bit of sea, so good exercise for skipper and GPS. Also means that if tide running, drift may only last for a few minutes so not a lot of fishin’ either. You do get to cover the whole fishable area though, presenting a moving bait, which is a good technique and usually catches more than anchoring up.
You need to have some decent bait, so peeler crab, black lugworm and squid are the business. Ideally thread a few worms and a bit of squid, or half a peeler and a bit of squid onto the bottom hook of the pennel rig, and secure with top hook. This is orrible. Probably better to just get some mackerel and cut into small strips, just hook ‘em on and drop over the side.
Basically, as long as you don’t expect to catch much, it’s good fun with a good crew. I don’t catch much from my boat, but I do much better when I go out with proper charter skippers who know stuff, and where to go etc. Takes years of practice to get good, like anything else.

desG

Visit site
Re: Transducer fixing

If fixing transducer to shoot through the hull, you need to find a position where the hull is solid GRP right through to the water. Hence the bag of water to help locate a suitable position. Once found you can fix in place with silicone rubber sealant between bottom of transducer and hull. Don't need a special transducer.

You can also get transom mounting transducers which saves making hole in hull.

Look at the Lowrance/Eagle range of fishfinders.

Des

desG

Visit site
Re: How do you keep radar on its arch?

It is the rods and lines that are more likely to snap, rather than the radar breaking off! But make sure nobody's head is in way of a cast!!

Casting away from the boat is generally more productive as boat noise (from hull and anchor warp) can scare off fish. Also helps seperate the ground tackle if there are several rods out. You do need to take care though, particular if all the party are novices.

Good luck

Des

oldgit

Visit site
O Yeah and do not forget to take loads of pieces of rag.you will need this to try and
a.grab the only thing yor gonna catch.ie eels.
b.use to try and clear up the slime from above which will be all over
c.you
d,your boat
e.everthing else.
you will also need a Large knife.this is to cut off the head of the eels because it will have swallowed your hook etc.
Ps you will also need to keep and eye out for all the full throttle gin palace yobbos who insist on going every where flat out esp. if they see you are trying to have a quiet 5 mins fishing/drinking.