Clubs in decline

gravygraham

Visit site
As I said in my earlier post, I think my eyes are too close together to be eligible meat for any YC. Having said that, I'd be interested to know how you get to join 'em. Do you have to be proposed by an existing intern at a black tie do, or do you wait for an invite from your bank manager? Just interested.

byron

RIP
Visit site
I'd be interested to know how you get to join 'em. Do you have to be proposed by an existing intern at a black tie do, or do you wait for an invite from your bank manager? Just interested.

It's no biggee. You can mention to a member you'd like to join, alternatively look up the Clubs website and drop an Email to the Secretary.

No Regrets

Visit site
Enough of this snobbery!

Bray ask for three vital things:

1/ Pulse

2/ Literacy (to fill out the form)

3/ A boat (Optional)

Seriously though, nearly all our events are just a meeting of friendly people who a willing to join in and encourage good boating practise, and hopefully a few club events within the year.

plumbob

Visit site
And fenders up, some old guard still scowl at me over that one...
Young blood like MikeT and Plumbob have forgiven me, I think.

I certainly have , young man !! Thanks for the young bit, by the way. Its up to every skipper how they run their own boat...........there, I said it.
ps 62 next birthday

alruss

Visit site
My club is suffering a drop off in members, we have facilities, moorings, dry dock, workshop, bar and club house. The only dress notice we have is no wellingtons or overalls
in the club house. To join, just turn up a few times (no invite required) then if you decide to join fill in form find proposer and seconder, pay £13.00. You then have to wait six weeks
before your application is approved by the committee. Then pay £110 for year £2 per week, turn up any time you like and pretty much do as you like in clubhouse and yard. People dont seem to want that.

jac

Visit site
My club is suffering a drop off in members, we have facilities, moorings, dry dock, workshop, bar and club house. The only dress notice we have is no wellingtons or overalls
in the club house. To join, just turn up a few times (no invite required) then if you decide to join fill in form find proposer and seconder, pay £13.00. You then have to wait six weeks
before your application is approved by the committee. Then pay £110 for year £2 per week, turn up any time you like and pretty much do as you like in clubhouse and yard. People dont seem to want that.

Find proposer and seconder is the problem for me.

I'm paying money to join but obviously that is not enough. I now have to find two people who are in the club and get them to stick there name on a form. If I don't know people that is daunting. Any other service that people use connected with boats (or life) doesn't work that way. They pay the money and get the service.

Clubs need to remember that they are in competition and need to make things easier. If you limit your new recruits to friends of members then you're destined to fail eventually. Members friends will probably be similar age to members so you won't be getting new blood - just different old blood.

prof pat pending

Visit site

byron

RIP
Visit site

Unless you are trying to join a top club like the Royal Thames then Proposer and Seconder shouldn't be a problem as most clubs just pay lip service to that rule. Applicants are just nodded through at a Committee meeting and the required signatures added by a couple of Committee members. Clubs will deny this but it's true. As Alruss has stated, turn up a few times as a visitor and you will soon get to know people who will sign you up.

oldgit

Visit site
RCC is actively recuiting new members.I joined the club by mentioning to a chap who works nearbye that it was about time that my boating did something new.He said why not join my club.

Yeh right thinks me,Blazers posh frocks, drinks at sunset etc etc and need two proposers .......Nah not for basic salt of the earth non clubby geezers like me !

Two weeks later am standing in club a bit poshed up with the wife and feeling a bit uncomfortable.Chap who suggested I pop along introduces me to another club member stating that the pair of them will put me up for membership.Keep looking around trying to spot a blazer or perhaps even a glass of pink gin carefully hidden out of sight.
The interview.Basically the club wants to know if I am going to run off with the silver when they give me the keys to the clubhouse and also if I am capable of doing anything the least bit useful around the club.
As they already have a chief lightbulb changer (Hi John) it is decided as am fairly tall my function will to be cutting the hedge along the car park.
We are in !
More later !

Last edited:

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk

I'm paying money to join but obviously that is not enough. I now have to find two people who are in the club and get them to stick there name on a form. If I don't know people that is daunting. Any other service that people use connected with boats (or life) doesn't work that way. They pay the money and get the service.

Clubs need to remember that they are in competition and need to make things easier. If you limit your new recruits to friends of members then you're destined to fail eventually. Members friends will probably be similar age to members so you won't be getting new blood - just different old blood.

With such a commercial approach you are unlikely to be welcome in any boat club. Membership is a two-way process and you should be prepared to contribute to the club, not just pay your subscription.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site

I'm paying money to join but obviously that is not enough. I now have to find two people who are in the club and get them to stick there name on a form. If I don't know people that is daunting.

This is a throwback to the days when clubs would wish to exclude fuzzy-wuzzies or, even worse, people in trade :eek:

I expect it automatically gets written into the constitution whenever a club is formed, along with all the other clauses fortuitously culled from other clubs' constitutions. Nobody ever asks if it's really necessary so it stays there as a deterrent to the timid and those who haven't yet learned that rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

I've no doubt, having done so myself, that calling on the secretary of any normal, run-of-the-mill club you want to join, and explaining that you don't know anyone to propose and second you but are mad keen to join and prepared to devote the rest of your life to painting the clubhouse, serving in the galley, lifting moorings in winter, etc, will soon result in two volunteers to shoe you in. :)

byron

RIP
Visit site
This is a throwback to the days when clubs would wish to exclude fuzzy-wuzzies or, even worse, people in trade :eek:
As the famous time when King George V1 was expected to resign from the Squadron for having the temerity to propose his friend for membership. His friend being a 'Grocer' namely Sir Thomas Lipton.

No Regrets

Visit site
With such a commercial approach you are unlikely to be welcome in any boat club. Membership is a two-way process and you should be prepared to contribute to the club, not just pay your subscription.

Well said, that man!

Purely on a personal note, I am not a fan of people who want the free ride of facilities, a fantastic shared knowledge base and heaps of not only organised events, but other club members who offer to cart gear around and maintain the club facilities (Which have in turn been funded by generations of previous decent sorts) for a measly subscription.

It's simply pointless.

Clubs like this are not commercial operations, but organised groups of like minded people who wish to promote good practise, keep the good worthy traditions alive for future generations and enjoy the self-esteem of belonging to such a fine organisation.

There is no room for people either end of the spectrum who either do nothing, or want to take the whole shebang over like dictators. These people should join another club, or not join one at all!

Captain Coochie

Visit site
People join clubs to get cheap moorings . Stop kidding yourselves . They have to put up with a few jumped up little pricks but they save a few quid . I would rather pay extra money and not put up with jumped up little pricks .

byron

RIP
Visit site
People join clubs to get cheap moorings . Stop kidding yourselves

Ummm! Which clubs have cheap moorings available? Those that do are few and far between and it takes years and years on a waiting list to get one. Oxford Ditch, TVCC, Osney CC indeed the bulk of Thames Clubs do not have any moorings and some don't even have their own club house.

Ramage

Visit site
People join clubs to get cheap moorings . Stop kidding yourselves . They have to put up with a few jumped up little pricks but they save a few quid . I would rather pay extra money and not put up with jumped up little pricks .

No cheap moorings at Bray. Those that moor in Bray marina pay MDL. The club has nothing to do with that. We have a modest clubhouse (Portacabin) used for committee meetings and the odd winter social event.

Wavey

Visit site
If their web site is to be believed one Thames club has been without a Commodore, Rear Commodore Tidal and Rear Commodore Non-Tidal since the beginning of the year, with two ladies running the clubhouse and membership backed up by the committee.

It's a pity to see such clubs in decline especially when I have such great memories of when my dad was a member, but they do need to drag themselves into the 21st century in particular with the programme of events which is essentially the same as it was when Noah had a boat. It's not exactly rocket science is it?