Clubs in decline

byron

RIP
Visit site
I got a phone call from a Thames yacht club as they had a last minute need for an instructor. They offered £50 plus dinner in their restaurant. I said ok, taught the course and was refused entry to dinner as I had brown shoes on.

Such yacht clubs still exist.
Royal Thames in Knightsbridge?

rebellion

Visit site
"while nobody wants screaming kids or howling Dogs at Club events, we reckon this is worth entertaining as the future payback is generations of Cadets we can nurture, who eventually turn into Skippers and really fun people to have around, while the Dogs all learn how to behave anyway!"
Oh No Regrets, you are so kind to me... then again you didn't have to put up with me when I was younger. ;P

To be honest I've found that the majority of "young boaters" have no desire at all to join a club, and very little awareness that they exist. Most 18-25 year olds I've met in boating don't really understand the concept of paying for boats, we choose instead to go work at a club or marina or boating centre and get given a the helm of a powerboat that we can use whenever, with the petrol paid for out of the centre!

It is pretty difficult to find any interest in something your parents drag you to on a weekend, but I guess sometimes it works? After all, my forum name came from a beer I first tried at a boating rally! ;)

Actionmat

Visit site
"while nobody wants screaming kids or howling Dogs at Club events, we reckon this is worth entertaining as the future payback is generations of Cadets we can nurture, who eventually turn into Skippers and really fun people to have around, while the Dogs all learn how to behave anyway!"

(applause)

What's the name of the club?

Ramage

Visit site
Bray Cruiser Club. You do not have to moor at Bray to be a member.... In fact one of our former Commodores (who is still an active member of the club) moors at Teddington.

Walther

Visit site
Royal Thames in Knightsbridge?
No. The Royal Thames says expressly: “We are a Yacht Club, therefore clean leather deck shoes are acceptable attire anywhere in the clubhouse, at any time.”

By the way, the RYS also encourages the wearing of brown deck shoes.