Closing uk marinas

lambohill

Visit site
its fully shut here in spain. Cant see it re-opening anytime soon . awaiting repatriation flights from malaga.
marina advises, if you leave you cannot re-enter at all.
Police helicopters flying around, police cars telling you to get off the streets. i think sadly that boats are the least of our concerns.

But hopefully we will see it through other side.

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
So can you see it happening where no people and no boat movements.
On the basis that the Govt have already instructed people to avoid essential travel, surely people should not be travelling to their boats as it stands today? Not avoiding essential travel will spread the virus more quickly and put lives at risk.

This being the UK, I doubt people will comply which will inevitably lead the Govt to take more draconian measures as they have in Span and Italy (no access to boats for owners in my marina).

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
On the basis that the Govt have already instructed people to avoid essential travel, surely people should not be travelling to their boats as it stands today? Not avoiding essential travel will spread the virus more quickly and put lives at risk.

This being the UK, I doubt people will comply which will inevitably lead the Govt to take more draconian measures as they have in Span and Italy (no access to boats for owners in my marina).

Don't you think that common sense has to apply here?

I leave MY house, get into MY car, drive to the the marina car park where a camera reads my plate and opens the barrier. I walk to a gate and hold up a fob. The gate opens. I walk to MY boat.

In extremis I see someone approaching me on the main walkway. I step onto a pontoon finger to avoid them.

I climb onto MY boat.

Care to tell me where I'm going to get infected/infect?

petem

Don't you think that common sense has to apply here?

I leave MY house, get into MY car, drive to the the marina car park where a camera reads my plate and opens the barrier. I walk to a gate and hold up a fob. The gate opens. I walk to MY boat.

In extremis I see someone approaching me on the main walkway. I step onto a pontoon finger to avoid them.

I climb onto MY boat.

Care to tell me where I'm going to get infected/infect?

You might think that but there will be idiots who think it's OK to go to their boat who will be filling up with petrol, perhaps buying something from the filling store shop, getting to the marina, using the trolleys, having a wee in the loos, using the taps, perhaps popping into the marina office for a chat, etc.

petem

Or in my case, I open my back door, walk 100m across a field, swipe my key card to open a gate, walk up the pontoon and step into the boat.
What I'd say is that in my marina in Spain, boat owners are prohibited from accessing their boats (even for essential maintenance). If people continue to flout the advice and carry on if nothing has happened then I can see the UK Govt introducing the same sort of restrictions here (a bit like they will for pubs and restaurants).

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Well I was impressed.
I hope they don’t close marinas I won’t be able to work .
on another note the Nation Trust have gone the opposite way , they have announced all pay barriers and car parks will be removed so it’s free for anyone to visit there open spaces , just take your own sandwiches and a flask , that’s if you can buy any sandwiches.
mid class marinas as an open space , it might be the case that marinas like Port Solent May close all the pubs , gym, cinemas etc to keep people from interacting.

Just_sayin'

Visit site
You might think that but there will be idiots who think it's OK to go to their boat who will be filling up with petrol, perhaps buying something from the filling store shop, getting to the marina, using the trolleys, having a wee in the loos, using the taps, perhaps popping into the marina office for a chat, etc.

Agree but you said " surely people should not be travelling to their boats as it stands today" which I don't agree with.

As I said, it's common sense and I'm not trying to pick a fight but the "one size fits all" approach is difficult to live with when some of us ... in fact most of the people I know are actually controlling their lives surprisingly well.

Just rediscovered Skype :p

petem

on another note the Nation Trust have gone the opposite way , they have announced all pay barriers and car parks will be removed so it’s free for anyone to visit there open spaces , just take your own sandwiches and a flask , that’s if you can buy any sandwiches.
mid class marinas as an open space , it might be the case that marinas like Port Solent May close all the pubs , gym, cinemas etc to keep people from interacting.
Paul, if it's any consolation, in my marina in Spain I believe that marine professionals are still allowed access to boats (on their own). It does seem to vary from marina to marina (I see from Hurricane's post that his Sant Carles boat yard is fenced off with the gates padlocked).

Just_sayin'

Visit site
Touching handrails on ramps ? Or gate handles ? or power cable units ? Or taps ?

Sorry if this is coming over smart-arsey but I still disagree.

I can't ever remember using the handrails ... the boat I'm talking about is in the UK, tides really not a problem, gate has already been covered ... we have a fob, the power cable is always connected or are you thinking that someone has sneezed on it if we disconnect? Yes a water tap COULD be infected but a simple hand clean covers that.

I'm still adamant that common sense should alleviate all risks providing current guidelines are followed.

Basically, contact at a sensible distance and if you touch something that could have been infected use hand wash and don't touch your face until done so.

BruceK

Visit site

I have seen a HMRC social media snippet doing the rounds for a Help Line for those that are self employed. May be worth investigating. A lot of people are going to be hard hit by this and from my end in IT we are seeing a major shift in tech requirements as businesses look to change their model to more online and remote working strategies. I think when this is over there will be a major change in the way we do business. None of this helps you of course although to be be honest I quite like the idea that now I may just be able to ship my outdrives to you by courier and you will finally be taking business from Wales. We have one marine engineer here that I trust implicitly, but the owner of the business is unbelievably difficult to work with and has lost my support. As you have earned good will and trust from our community I would be happy to support buying stock and maintenance items through you as well. I think the forum members would happily follow suite. Maybe it's time for you to reach out and adapt your business model too?

doug748

Visit site
Agree but you said " surely people should not be travelling to their boats as it stands today" which I don't agree with.

As I said, it's common sense and I'm not trying to pick a fight but the "one size fits all" approach is difficult to live with when some of us ... in fact most of the people I know are actually controlling their lives surprisingly well.

Just rediscovered Skype :p

Lets all hope there is good sense and restraint on the part of the public, the media and the Government.

It only takes a few people to start behaving immoderately and ignoring sensible advice, for cries of "something must be done" to break out and next week we will be collecting pot and pans to build Spitfires.

I will finish the bits of anti fouling today, still hoping for the best. Though who knows.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Not a marina but you always get those "I know my rights, what are you going to do, arrest me?" types. Who don't quite get now some countries do things:

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Our boat is accessible and at the far end of the marina with its own car park and electronic gate to get on to the pontoon ... trouble is, I'm not allowed to drive there and it's an hour by car. You are allowed out, with your certificate which has to have the right box ticked giving reason and destination, and with your name and address, date of birth (!) and the date and a signature, in case you're stopped by the police or army! Memsahib walked to the little village shop this morning, clutching her certificate - didn't see a soul but all the eggs and spuds were gone! Could be the same in the UK by next week.