Clipper race started

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
+1
I was moored up at Queenborough the day before the start with all the clippers, and there were some uber annoying types. I think this sort of thing tends to attract desperados with big egos who haven't really considered their ability or aptitude for sailing, nor the group implications (which I find a bit selfish) - some have only had the 4 wks training. I know they've been vetted blah blah but how much can you really tell on that?

I know four people with Clipper associations (one of whom was a skipper a couple of races ago). Three of the four (of course including the skipper) are brilliant sailors I'd trust anywhere and sail with at any opportunity. It's worth observing that all of these guys joined clipper with long-standing (or professional) sailing backgrounds.

The fourth person joined Clipper with (seemingly) no previous experience and circumnavigated with them- ~25,000Nm? That person is a total liability whom I would not let anywhere near my own boat. Unable to navigate properly or bring a boat alongside safely. Whatever skills are in there obliterated by some sort of circumnavigators' ego. I would not trust him in heavy weather without a lot of more responsible people around.

Obviously on long ocean crossings you can spend days and days on much the same trim and tack. When the boat is well crewed in this situation it is possible for individuals to learn very little per mile sailed. So I am not sure the race is invariably going to make good sailors of its crew. As with most sailing you get out what you put in- if you are on the race to improve your sailing you will do so, but I suspect that if you are there to get a circumnavigators/ocean crossing badge, you will get that too without needing to become any good at sailing while you're at it. There are doubtless a few of those on each boat and leg; and that would put me off.

As far as the vetting goes, I reckon most people that apply and who are not misanthropes (and maybe some that are) get to go. The boats seemed to take a long time to get sponshorship this time round and the fees are ridiculously expensive. At the price point they charge I would imagine Clipper Ventures can't turn away too many people who actually do have the cash.

Cheers

Tintin

Visit site
+1
I was moored up at Queenborough the day before the start with all the clippers, and there were some uber annoying types. You can just tell they'll be a nightmare both when it is going well and going bad - irritating when feeling ok and weeping in a ball in the hull when it hits a F8. I think this sort of thing tends to attract desperados with big egos who haven't really considered their ability or aptitude for sailing, nor the group implications (which I find a bit selfish) - some have only had the 4 wks training. I know they've been vetted blah blah but how much can you really tell on that? 24 crew on a 75ft boat for several weeks sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Having said that there were a few decent types too, but I wouldn't want to be on a boat with so many newbies in such challenging waters.

My experience has been that, with one exception, everyone on the training has been ok. For sure there are a few people that take some getting used to, but life is like that too.

I find that learning how to deal with such people is far more rewarding.

Of course others just dismiss people on first impressions.

laika

Visit site
Those that didn't read it should check out last year's thread which followed on from the legal challenge one ex-customer launched against Clipper Ventures. It contained some interesting comments on group dynamics during the race from another ex-customer and links to blogs which revealed more.

It was pointed out that the customer who made the legal challenge was "selected" despite having a "plus size" physique which practically guaranteed significant challenges in performing crewing activities in an environment where group dynamics are such that those not seen to be "doing their share" then face social issues within the group.

There was, iirc, some questioning as to the effectiveness of the "vetting procedure" and whether customer welfare was appropriately balanced against the opportunity for commercial gains.