Clearing some alcoholic fog

G

I don't want to get involved in the 'drunken sailor' argument nor start a new long thread, but in view of some of the comments that have been made, I thought I ought to go back to basics and look at what the Shipping Minister actually said.

In some senses it is as dire and impractical as all of you have been saying, but one sentence should calm some of your fears at least. Towards the end of his statement he said, with regard to those who would be covered by the proposed legislation:

'Those involved in the navigation or propulsion of recreational craft while in motion and not moored will also be included.'

In other words you have no problems if you have a few drinks, a party of a full scale orgy as long as you are moored or stationary. I interpret the above as implying that if you are becalmed in a shipping lane, you can await the inevitable supertanker by downing a bottle or two of scotch to make your demise less painful.

The full text can be read via the ybw.com home page under the news item 'Time Please'.

G

look at the law when it comes not political rhetoric

its more likely that terms used in the colregs will be applied ie 'underway' which have very definate meaning

(though underway does not include aground, you might feel like drowning your sorrows having just taken the keel off, but when the lifeboat or Air sea rescue arrive and smell the drink, it may stuff your insurance claim!

G

Re: look at the law when it comes not political rhetoric

You're absolutely right - under way/making way etc. It shows that the Minister was thinking about the effect of the speech on the press and (to a lesser extent) the public, rather than those who it might affect.

G

. I see dozens of white & orange striped ribs running around with little blue lights and Breathalysers fling at the bows

G

shay th ..hic...at agin Dave

G

James,,, I would hope that if I was becalmed, that I would still be "involved in navigation" and having downed the 2 bottles of scotch while waiting for my demise I would also be praying like mad that the wind didn't suddenly come up (although I suppose I could maybe throw the pick over so I wasn't moving) I think I'd better run off and consult the ColRegs about anchoring in a shipping lane but I get your drift

G

The words "Minister" and "thinking" in the same sentence???????????????

G

James, you missed one crucial aspect:

If you have anchored in a pretty little harbour and perhaps just rowed ashore for a skinful at the local pub, you will likely come under the rules for being over the limit while skippering your dinghy ... because there was no mention of size.