Cleaning

G

Okay, I'm in the process of cleaning the hull, the bit above the waterline. Been using Farecla G3, comes up very nice after lots of hard rubbing. My questions, should I do anything after, a wax maybe, if so which brand can be recommended? Other question, found some damage - a 1" hole in the gelcoat exposing the fibreglass - how do I repair?

Thank you all

Avocet

Visit site
Is the Gelcoat white and is the hole shallow?

If so, wash it out well with fresh water and leave to dry for a few weeks (put some sort of rain deflector over it).

You can buy gelcoat filler from most chandlers (certainly Cruisermart sell it). Roughen the surface of the glassfibre underneath (I know it looks rough but will probably have a fine film of wax on it). If the hole is an odd shape, try using those little stones you can get to go on the end of a drill. Be careful not to go too deep into the laminate.

Then mix the filler well with its catalyst and trowel it in. Several thin coats are better than one thick one -which will probably sag. When it's slightly proud of the hull, rub it down with 800 grade wet-or-dry sandpaper (any car shop will sell this) and plenty of fresh water. You will probably expose pinholes that got trapped when you filled it - no problem, just fill them again.

When it's reasonably flat, go over it with 1000 grade paper and then buff it with the Farecla paste. If you can hire a buffing machine as used in car workshops, it makes the job a breeze. Be careful not to leave the buffer in one place too long, you can burn the gelcoat.

It's possible that the rest of your gelcoat will have faded. If so, you'll have to live with a slightly brighter patch. I don't know a cure for this!

Good luck.

G

Most helpful --- okay, I'll be down there either tonight or tomorrow giving this a go. Bought Plastic Padding, gel coat filler to do the job.

G

A little update...

Whilst not perfect all over, the G3 has made a great job of restoring the gloss to the hull. Took the advice and bought Starbrite Teflon polish and can endorse all thoses that recommended it. Easy to apply and buff (even by hand - no power available!) and the finish is lovely. Lets see how long it lasts.

As for the hole - I had a go at repairing with Plastic Padding Gelcoat Filler. Hardly an invisable repair but appears to be totally effective and given more time sanding, rubbing and polishing would be A1.