Cleaning blocked oil coolers

G

A friend has a problem with the Volvo 41's on his Sunseeker Martinique running hot. It has been suggested that the oil coolers may be partially blocked. Does anyone know of a way of cleaning these easily?

Colin

jfm

Visit site
Re: testing if the coolers are dodgy

Not familiar with this model so this isn't direct answer to your Q, but to test the premise you can slap a thermometer on both the inlet and outlet to the oilcooler when the 'gine is running. You can then compare the temperature drop with the manufacturer's data sheet to see if the coolers are working properly. If they are, your problem is elsewhere.

JFM

G

I have 41a's and they are virtually impossible. Its basically made from alloy castings and the nuts securing the top to the thing tend to freeze in situe. Also there is an anode on the bottom corner which is easily overlooked on servicing and if this is not replaced regularly the thing just disintegrates.

Mine was blocked by bits of disintegrated oil cooler!

He could try removing assembly from engine block. Remove anode and attach a hose to top connection to try back flushing/poking about inside it with wire, etc. but usually when the're gone the're gone. About £900 from MMS.

Nick

G

Re: testing if the coolers are dodgy

Its a while since I did mine but from recollection, one end fits direct into the block with an O ring seal so you can't easily check the throughflow. There is, I think a branch goes to the turbo and you can detach this by way of check.

Nick