Classic or wooden.

dancrane

Visit site
The question seems to imply that every wooden boat is necessarily, or very probably, classic. Was that the supposition of this forum's creators?

I thought that in the title Classic and Wooden Boats, the critical word was and.

Presumably that means inclusive of all classifiable (probably historic) designs, but also, separately, of all wooden boats, be they marvelous charismatic oldies or new bland stuff.

Simonpk

Visit site
That is a question that will probably never be answered, same in the car world, an Austin Allegro is old enough to be a classic, but is it? The fact that it's old & wood doesn't mean it's a classic as there's a number of "tupperware" boats now that will fall into the Classic category.

But my 2-penneth:
• If it's desirable on the grounds of marque or pedigree
• If it retains its appeal after it is no longer produced
• Stops depreciating and or begins to appreciate in value
• And if it makes people stop, admire and ask about it

That is when I'd probably call it a classic.

Tranona

Visit site
Question comes up regularly and inevitably everyone has their own take on it. Start with the dictionary definition of "classic" and you are likely to come to the conclusion that very few boats deserve that adjective.

Like many words in the English language it means what the sender and recipient have a shared understanding about - in other words it means what you think it means, assuming others agree. Also like many descriptors it acquires a social meaning and that results in sections of society claiming it as their own to differentiate them (and their boats) from others. So particular bodies such as the British Classics, Mediterranean racing "clubs" and Antigua Week organisers establish their own definition to include those boats which they approve, but more importantly exclude those that they don't. Their definitions may be on the grounds of age, designer, material history or whatever includes/excludes and when something they like does not fit their definition they either change it or create their own sub class with names such as "modern classic" or "Spirit of Tradition".

So, if you think that your boat (or any boat you fancy) is a "classic" who am I or anyone else to disagree.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
A friend of mine defines a classic car as

Any car in which windscreen wipes are perceived as a finite resource.

My own definition, which transfers to boats rather more easily, is that a classic car is

Any car in which an attempt to use the cigarette lighter results in the owner saying "Don't do that. Something awful might happen."

It is important to note that the precise nature of the awful consequences need not be known. General unfocussed dread about cigarette lighter use is enough.

Alexandro

Visit site
Hi there, maybe this helps:
Antique is something older than 100 years and vintage is something older than 30 years.

Tranona

Visit site
Hi there, maybe this helps:
Antique is something older than 100 years and vintage is something older than 30 years.

Not what the dictionary says.

antique Of old times; existing since old times; old fashioned; archaic

vintage Of high quality, especially from the past.

So very similar except the "quality" bit

The words do, of course acquire additional meanings when used in particular contexts. So, in the old car world "vintage" is specifically used to define cars built between 1914 and 1930 - the later cut off date being established because (in the eyes of the people who set it) the quality of design and build of cars declined.

Exactly the same thinking used by those who nowadays wish to include/exclude boats that are approved/disapproved. So 1960's wooden cruiser/racers are considered the peak by some and allowed to join the British Classics events.

Words acquire meaning by usage which varies according to where and how they are used, by whom and change over time, so it is impossible to give an accurate unambiguous definition except in the most general terms that get into the dictionary - and even that changes over time as usage changes meaning.

Seajet

Visit site
A friend of mine defines a classic car as

Any car in which windscreen wipes are perceived as a finite resource.

My own definition, which transfers to boats rather more easily, is that a classic car is

Any car in which an attempt to use the cigarette lighter results in the owner saying "Don't do that. Something awful might happen."

It is important to note that the precise nature of the awful consequences need not be known. General unfocussed dread about cigarette lighter use is enough.

A friend of ours had a boat with a sea toilet like that; despite long trips ( inevitable at 3 knots ) no-one was allowed to even think about using the loo as there was a percieved dread of results being similar to but worse than a torpedo strike.

That was a wooden boat too, Mystic 21; ' Classic ' is not a word I normally associate with Robert ' draggy as **** ' Tucker designs, but the Mystic was at least a pretty boat - Charlie would have been chuffed to hear her called a classic.

Shuggy

Visit site
I'm not sure I've worked this out yet. I used to own a wooden boat that isn't a classic*:
IMG_1798.jpg
...and currently own a classic* boat that isn't wooden:
IMG_8957.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

*all definitions subject to any whim of the beholder at any time. Opinions are subject to change without notice ;-)