Clacton RNLI

Quiddle

Visit site
Just read this article which incudes the paragraph:
The incident on April 4 saw the lifeboat crew use their boat to help firefighters get close enough to use inflatable rescue paths to rescue a family of three from the mud on the Walton backwaters.
This is not a snide attempt to criticise the RNLI, I'm just curious what the ops manager did wrong to warrant his dismissal. Anyone got local knowledge?

Adios

Visit site
I think I can see why he was ditched (though his complaints about change of boat might have influenced them). Why on earth should the fire brigade or the lifeboat be tied up "rescuing" a family inconvenienced by the tide, let alone both services. The boat is sat perfectly upright and there were only 3 on board so hardly impossible to wait there. People in actual danger might have died that day. Plus the family and rescuers were put in unnecessary danger going out on the mud. Family of three stranded in backwaters rescued by firefighters and lifeboat crews

1685787816202.png

KevinV

Visit site
I think I can see why he was ditched (though his complaints about change of boat might have influenced them). Why on earth should the fire brigade or the lifeboat be tied up "rescuing" a family inconvenienced by the tide, let alone both services. The boat is sat perfectly upright and there were only 3 on board so hardly impossible to wait there. People in actual danger might have died that day. Plus the family and rescuers were put in unnecessary danger going out on the mud. Family of three stranded in backwaters rescued by firefighters and lifeboat crews

View attachment 157618
That is just ridiculous - how exactly are they in any danger in those conditions?? I can see why RNLI bosses weren't best impressed at their (very expensive to run) offshore boat being used for that.

Tranona

Visit site
That is just ridiculous - how exactly are they in any danger in those conditions?? I can see why RNLI bosses weren't best impressed at their (very expensive to run) offshore boat being used for that.
I expect they were not exactly looking forward to spending 6 hours on the mud into the middle of the night stuck on a small boat in the middles of nowhere.

penfold

Visit site
Oh no! Having to remain on a boat with a cabin designed for living in! What a hardship! Why would it require all night anyway? They'd be afloat again before dark.

Quiddle

Visit site

View attachment 157618
Not for me to judge whether they should or should not attend but I live near a tidal island where people are regularly 'rescued' by the RNLI when cut off by the tide for 5 hours.
Ops manager would have been tasked by HMCG, possibly because they feared an unsafe attempt to reach the shore.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Not for me to judge whether they should or should not attend but I live near a tidal island where people are regularly 'rescued' by the RNLI when cut off by the tide for 5 hours.
Ops manager would have been tasked by HMCG, possibly because they feared an unsafe attempt to reach the shore.
I can only guess that the launch was not requested by the coastguard and that the ops manager took the decision on his own bat. That would then be the grounds for getting rid of him. The RNLI is refusing to give those details though. Sadly volunteers have very few employment rights beyond general "equalities" rights because they are not employees. Speaking out against the powers that be are sure to get a volunteer disposed of.

Adios

Visit site
Difference being these people had a perfectly good shelter. They were on the phone or radio and could have advised them that it would be suicide to try walking across the mud, If they said they were going to try anyway then its a matter for the police and social services to investigate. Really don't make excuses for this, its ridiculous. Man up, stay put and quit your whining.

Adios

Visit site
They have already learned the key lesson. Not sure making a small child stay up all night in the cold adds anything to the lesson. The issue is about the use of the AWB.
Key lesson being nanny state will bail out your every little inconvenience? At the tax payers and charity givers expense. The kid could have slept below.

Looking at the photo though perhaps someone saw how much chain they'd put out and didn't want them on the water after dark. But even then, they could have told them to arrange to pay by card over the phone to the marina a mile away, to have someone ready to tow them when the tide comes back. Then they might learn a lesson.

Quiddle

Visit site
Difference being these people had a perfectly good shelter. They were on the phone or radio and could have advised them that it would be suicide to try walking across the mud, If they said they were going to try anyway then its a matter for the police and social services to investigate. Really don't make excuses for this, its ridiculous. Man up, stay put and quit your whining.
You speak with such certainty. FYI, I've been both an RNLI crew member and a firefighter and I can assure you that your simplistic moralising falls apart in the face of dealing with actual people.

Tranona

Visit site
Key lesson being nanny state will bail out your every little inconvenience? At the tax payers and charity givers expense. The kid could have slept below.

Looking at the photo though perhaps someone saw how much chain they'd put out and didn't want them on the water after dark. But even then, they could have told them to arrange to pay by card over the phone to the marina a mile away, to have someone ready to tow them when the tide comes back. Then they might learn a lesson.
You have no idea of the actual circumstances - neither do I. So just expressing your opinion based on a photo and your prejudice.

Pleased that people charged with making decisions on whether assistance is required are trained to assess the situation and take what they consider to be the most appropriate action.

If that offends your sensibilities so what?

BTW I expect as indicated by the report in the newspaper the decision to deploy the AWB was considered inappropriate following the RNLI internal enquiry.