Christmas present idea

Dutch01527

Visit site
We nearly had a potential scalding incident last month when a guest on board lost her balance passing hot tea from the galley to the cockpit underway. All was well but it made me think about the potential dangers of pouring and passing about boiling liquids, especially for inexperienced crew.

A bit of searching and I found this gadget which is sturdy, non slip and can be held with one hand. I have no connection just a happy customer.

1665548877522.jpeg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09RC9TFS3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:

blush2

Visit site
Got one at home as well. Great for carrying cuppas upstairs and drinks into the garden.

When we had some builders in, it encouraged them to collect all their mugs together when they had finished drinking.

johnalison

Visit site
It’s just something else to find stowage space for, though I appreciate the idea. I can’t say we have ever had a problem, but a friend does the same thing with a saucepan.
ps, beaten to it.

newtothis

Visit site
I always take mugs with screw on lids for this reason. They're insulated too, so keep things hot longer. I'll risk looking like a numpty using a tommy tippy for the sake of not burning myself/spilling coffee everywhere.

capnsensible

Visit site
Quite a lot of tides ago, I was running a day skipper course for 4 oppos from a fire brigade station in London. Course out of Gib.

Anyway as part of the safety brief, I told them about use of the cooker, yadda, yadda. Included was the top tip that when making tea or coffee, use the sink in case of hot water spillage.

Yeah I guess you guessed. One of them put plug in plus several teabags and poured the hot water on top. Adds to the long list of weird things that sea school students do.

rotrax

Visit site
Anyone who passes really hot liquids around in a boat is asking for trouble IMHO.

We often eat and drink on passage. Over more than twenty years continuous development our system is to make the drinks - coffee in our case - and add some cooling water. Impossible to drink otherwise I find, and a potential accident if very hot. The drinks under way are served in wide base 'Alladin' plastic insulated mugs that can hold a pint, but are half full. These superb mugs can hold a 330cl beer bottle without falling over too. One pot meals, goulash, stews, curries etc can be safely eaten from these mugs also.

Food and drink is passed around using a deep sided cat litter tray with a non slip sheet in the bottom. The Alladin mugs have non slip bottoms too. If anything spills it is contained inside the 250mm deep tray.

Works for us and appears to have no drawbacks.