Childrens bicycle

kandoma

Visit site
we used to have two full size bicycles on board our 30 ft boat, but it was always a pain to disasemble them to be stored on the roof of the wheel house.

I looked at folding bicycles, but I find them unsuitable to carry a large amount of beer cans, my beer belly and other stuff over long distances.

So I'm looking at childrens bicycles. They look quite strong, small enough to be stored on deck. They only lack the needed distance of +- 80 cm for the seat and the "tiller" of the bicycle. Extending them should be not such a big mechanical problem.

Any objections ?

Peter /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

boguing

Visit site
Nope. Although 6'4", I have ridden my kids bikes with no damage to self/vehicle, in the same way that I regularly sail their Oppies...

Admire your lateral thinking.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Even if you extend the seat post and the stem, the geometry will be all wrong (unless you get very creative). Do more research on folders - some are folding versions of full size bikes, and some of the small wheel ones are designed for touring, so meant to be load carriers.

William_H

Visit site
Around here years back Kids bikes had "high riser" handle bars. The grips are about 60cms higher than the stem post. This coupled with a very long seat extension tube shopuld make a kids bike reasonable to ride. The handle bars and even seat could be lowered for storage.
So look around places where bikes are junked you might find these handlebars. I have them on a full sized bike and love to be able to ride leaning back not hunched over. Looks strange but very comfortable. olewill PS don't know about other geometries involed.