Chichester or Portsmouth

PhillM

Visit site
Phil, no reason except lack of knowledge so other suggestions welcome although in the end I can't look everywhere at least for first season

I pay about £4k for a 7.6m Loa in Mercury on the Hamble. I've just moved from Swanwick. So far traffic down from the M27 hasn't bern bad at all. I've not been there for a summer yet , so I may eat those words!

I like that from Hambke I can turn left, right or sharp right. Whatever the time and tides you can get away for an overnight in a nice Place.

There is everything available from decent chandlers to a choice of clubs with dinghy sections, cruiser evening racing, day racing up to onshore.

I don't know Chi so cannot comment on the pros and cons but to my mind Pompy isn't anywhere near as nice a place to hang around as Hamble.

Gone sailing

Visit site
I pay about £4k for a 7.6m Loa in Mercury on the Hamble. I've just moved from Swanwick. So far traffic down from the M27 hasn't bern bad at all. I've not been there for a summer yet , so I may eat those words!

I like that from Hambke I can turn left, right or sharp right. Whatever the time and tides you can get away for an overnight in a nice Place.

There is everything available from decent chandlers to a choice of clubs with dinghy sections, cruiser evening racing, day racing up to onshore.

I don't know Chi so cannot comment on the pros and cons but to my mind Pompy isn't anywhere near as nice a place to hang around as Hamble.

Oi nothing wrong with Portsmouth! ;-)

Traffic into gosport is a nightmare I would not consider having my boat on that side of the harbour for that reason. Port Solent is easy to get to but a bit of a slog to get to the harbour entrance. I keep my boat at Southsea marina on Langstone harbour. Very friendly marina and easy access to the Eastern solent. The eastern part of the solent is not as busy as the western end. Chichester is a beutiful harbour we spent a week last year with the kids on the boat. I guess Southampton water does give you more options of places to go that are nearer..... The Hamble is a beutiful river shame it's full of boats tho!:eek:

MinorSwing

Visit site
Chichester is far more beautiful and special, so for that reason I'd choose Portsmouth.

If every time you go to the boat you have to do that annoying slog all the way out the harbour and down to West Pole, you'll get blase and annoyed with it. IMHO it's far better to take the quick dash out to Solent from Portsmouth, and then have the option of sailing to Chi and having a nice night on a buoy under the stars with a cold beer and a BBQ. Keeps it special.

Plus, from Pompey, for weekend sailing you can go left or right, from Chi it's almost always right, and depending on tides and boatspeed, it will make the Needles/Yarmouth/Lymmo a lot less doable for a weekend.
That sums it up perfectly.

PhillM

Visit site
Oi nothing wrong with Portsmouth! ;-)

Traffic into gosport is a nightmare

Don't get me wrong, I love Gosport. i left Stoke to live in Gosport 30 years ago. Trust me, Gosport IS nicer than Stoke. But I woukdnt keep my boat in Stoke :) I stayed about 2 years and slowly migrated west on the M27 to Fair Oak. Leaves all Solent options open. Currently boat lives in MDL Mercury.

MinorSwing

Visit site
With the exception of upstream of Bursledon Bridge on the Hamble, Chichester harbour is by far the most picturesque place to be in the Solent.....
Chichester Harbour is not in or attached to The Solent, and most of it is not particularly picturesque. Having said that, it is very suitable for people who don't want to go sea but are happy to potter in its sheltered waters. Excellent for dinghy sailors, for example, as you discover when trying to avoid them while navigating its confined channels on a Sunday. Horses for courses.

jimmyk

Visit site
Chichester Harbour is not in or attached to The Solent, and most of it is not particularly picturesque. Having said that, it is very suitable for people who don't want to go sea but are happy to potter in its sheltered waters. Excellent for dinghy sailors, for example, as you discover when trying to avoid them while navigating its confined channels on a Sunday. Horses for courses.
Well it is sort of picturesque

Gwylan

Visit site
A vote for Rye - tidal, muddy, but good sailing in the bay. Dover and Eastbourne a nice sail away. Cherbourg close enough for a longer weekend.

Pain having to pay the EA 'tax' but otherwise reasonable. They do have moorings up in the town.

Mud berths elsewhere are not cheap but reasonable compared with further west.

Also no QHM and all that to cope with, only ever seen one jetski and I realise that the prices are more than reasonable compared to some of the sums mentioned in the thread.

Last edited:

Fourbees

Visit site
For ease of access from London, consider Port Solent (I wouldn't want to live there but it's a secure place for a boat, with good boatyard facilities, top end of Portsmouth Harbour) or Ocean Village (Southampton). The latter has all tide access, the former a lock (but quite well organised). They're a similar price. Also easy from the motorway are Swanwick Marina and Deacon's Boatyard, as far up the Hamble as you can go with a mast up - the Hamble is pricey, but the marinas lower down are much more expensive than those at the top (and harder to reach by road). I can reach all those listed in less than two hours from Buckinghamshire. Chichester I can also reach in around two hours. Over the past 14 years I've kept a boat at Chichester Marina, Port Solent, Gosport Marina and Swanwick - always in marinas because of the security advantage when we live 100 miles away... Now at Port Solent because the new boat draws 1.8m which could be a restriction in Chi (the last one was a lift keeler).

Last edited:

KevB

Visit site

Are you out of your mind???? Granted it's not technically part of the solent but then again is Swanwick marina, port 'solent', anything down the far reaches of southampton water??? You could class the solent as the bit of water between the main land and the isle wight.
As for Chichester harbour not being picturesque.. I'll take that as being tongue in cheek. Why is it an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty? I can only assume you've never been there.

chidham-sailing.jpg

chich-harbour-600_31244.jpg

A.A.B-040_xlarge.jpg

JasonHawkes-9472_xlarge.jpg

chichester-harbour.jpg

Western_side_of_East_Head_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1349955.jpg

url

ricky_s

Visit site
Are you out of your mind???? Granted it's not technically part of the solent but then again is Swanwick marina, port 'solent', anything down the far reaches of southampton water??? You could class the solent as the bit of water between the main land and the isle wight.
As for Chichester harbour not being picturesque.. I'll take that as being tongue in cheek. Why is it an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty? I can only assume you've never been there.

chidham-sailing.jpg

chich-harbour-600_31244.jpg

A.A.B-040_xlarge.jpg

JasonHawkes-9472_xlarge.jpg

chichester-harbour.jpg

Western_side_of_East_Head_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1349955.jpg

url

It is a lovely place to visit (from the sea then anchor at East Head) but Pompey better as a base. I used to be in Chi Marina and would never go back after our move to Gosport though Chi does have better loos.

KevB

Visit site
It is a lovely place to visit (from the sea then anchor at East Head) but Pompey better as a base. I used to be in Chi Marina and would never go back after our move to Gosport though Chi does have better loos.

What we love about Chi harbour is even if we don't go out on the boat there are some fantastic walks (generally ending up at a pub) in beautiful countryside and although there are lots of rumours of long queues at chi marina lock, in reality, in the 13 years we've been there we've had to queue for more than 20 mins only a handful of times. Over the last couple of years I'm having trouble remembering the last time we queued at all. I think now, even on their busiest of days the marina rarely have boat movements out of double figures.

ricky_s

Visit site
What we love about Chi harbour is even if we don't go out on the boat there are some fantastic walks (generally ending up at a pub) in beautiful countryside and although there are lots of rumours of long queues at chi marina lock, in reality, in the 13 years we've been there we've had to queue for more than 20 mins only a handful of times. Over the last couple of years I'm having trouble remembering the last time we queued at all. I think now, even on their busiest of days the marina rarely have boat movements out of double figures.

20 minutes! I would half way to Cowes by then.:)

niccapotamus

Visit site
+1 for wicor as a reasonable place to sail from, sensibly priced, fairly sheltered and not a bad place to stop and just sit and enjoy. I agree also that Portsmouth is a nice handy place to be based but not a "destination". I quite enjoy the 30 minute or whatever trip out of the harbour - it enables us to get ready for sea, sort out a cuppa and look at other boats. Great for turning either left or right. Rubbish for the milk run from the needles to cherbourg - but that is why God invented Keyhaven, Lymington and Yarmouth

MinorSwing

Visit site
A vote for Rye - tidal, muddy, but good sailing in the bay. Dover and Eastbourne a nice sail away. Cherbourg close enough for a longer weekend.

Pain having to pay the EA 'tax' but otherwise reasonable. They do have moorings up in the town.

Mud berths elsewhere are not cheap but reasonable compared with further west.

Also no QHM and all that to cope with, only ever seen one jetski and I realise that the prices are more than reasonable compared to some of the sums mentioned in the thread.
I did my first sailing out of Rye and, however you look at it, it's not a convenient place to sail from because of the long run from and back to The Strand, and it's certainly not handy for weekends in Cherbourg.

VicS

Visit site
20 minutes! I would half way to Cowes by then.:)

But the sail to Cowes, that what its all about surely, not just being in Cowes as early as possible, would be just as enjoyable if its 20 minutes earlier or 20 minutes later.

In fact since its about double the distance from Chichester to Cowes as it is from Gosport to Cowes there is twice the enjoyment to be had from being based in Chichester.