Chichester Harbour Visitor berthing

prologica

Visit site
Hi All,

Looking for suggestions of the nicest places to moor in Chichester harbour to overnight on Weds night as visitor. We draw 1.8 metres officially (touch at 1.5 in my experience). We have an issue with the heads at the moment so somewhere where there is an evening water taxi service or a marina will probably be necessary but ideas too of where to tie up for lunch would be good too.

many thanks
David

neil_s

Visit site
As a Chi harbour mooring holder, I quite like popping into Chichester marina every now and then. All the facilities, nice walks and a pleasant ambience!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Excellent showers and meals in chichesteryacht club
Itchenor sailing club is by the visitor moorings. The times have changed I think, since you were there. The fishermen go past those buoys at 8kn on their gps regardless of the tide. If you like your tea in bed, your wish will be granted. They do tend to leave at 4am, and pass within 5 ft of you. I’d absolutely not recommend it. Sparkes, if you want a marina, or pick up a mooring around there. Not much in the way of taxis, but if you’re in Mengen Rythe at least it’s calm for your tender. Also very handy for the harbour entrance.

Wansworth

Visit site
Even so on the visitors mooring off Itchenor at the week end is full of activity and boats of all kinds ducking and diving and yes the fishing charter boats and the yachts racing to get home on Sundayevening do create awash🙂

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Even so on the visitors mooring off Itchenor at the week end is full of activity and boats of all kinds ducking and diving and yes the fishing charter boats and the yachts racing to get home on Sundayevening do create awash🙂
My wife had a fraught time, I left her on board to do an Itchenor points week race, she spent much of the time fending eejits off the boat. One particular XOD tacking against the tide came to call 4 or 5 times. We won’t be going back.

TheCoach

Visit site
Northney Marina is our favourite, small chandlery, Great cafe, quiet with opportunity to put in paddleboards or tender if you want to play. As a lunch stop there is a mid river pontoon going towards Emsworth just past the turn for Northney. This has room for 6 and a on call water taxi (Ch14) operates 2 hours either side of high water. Stops are free unless overnighting but no facilities.

Cheers

TC

Obi

Visit site
Do your research on the bar outside the entrance. It has claimed a few lives over the years during poor conditions.

I really like Chichester harbour, the surrounding area and the various berthing options. It is a beautiful harbour and Chichester town is lovely too.

Itchenor is lovely, but bumpy. I saw Kylie Minogue in the pub there one evening. The pub is nice and the village reminds me of Bree from Lord of The Rings, although more likely with Kylie instead of Black Riders.
There was a time when Keith Richards might have been spotted in Itchenor. Nicholas Lyndhurst is a local too.

Chichester Marina is modern, well appointed with some nice eateries and good facilities.
Dell Quay has nice character and a pub with great views over the harbour. It dries out here.
Birdham Pool - a nice quite spot, behind a lock that only operates 1 hour either side of HW. IIRC.

It is a 5 minute walk from Birdham through to the bars and restaurants of Chichester Marina.

Dell Quay and Birdham are about 30 mins- 60 mins from the sea.

Stemar

Visit site
If you don't need to go ashore, you can anchor at East Head, good holding, but it's likely to be crowded, then there's the public Pontoon near the top of the Emsworth channel.

At the weekend, prepare to be traumatised by the zillions of sailing dinghies - everything from keelboats with pensioners to Oppies with 8 year olds. Following colregs and keeping out of their way because you're under power is impossible because you get out of the way of first one and straight into a dozen more. Convention seems to be that you be predictable - hold your course and they'll dodge you, but I have had to to a crash stop once or twice because they either got it wrong or didn't know the convention. Then, just to add to the fun, you'll get a yacht that insists on tacking through the whole mess.

• Haha
Reactions: Obi

ashtead

Visit site
If you have a shallow draft Thornham marina which also has a good canvas maker in Covercare - we are too deep to sail there but often visit for canvas/sail repairs and marina facilities always look clean when I borrow a token to enter. A lovely pub at Chidham in case of interest being a short walk from Prinstead beach . Just avoid east head unless you like being woken by drifting unanchored boats at 3 in morning.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
If you have a shallow draft Thornham marina which also has a good canvas maker in Covercare - we are too deep to sail there but often visit for canvas/sail repairs and marina facilities always look clean when I borrow a token to enter. A lovely pub at Chidham in case of interest being a short walk from Prinstead beach . Just avoid east head unless you like being woken by drifting unanchored boats at 3 in morning.
Those who can dry out can avoid that last problem. Go on an evening tide and dry out high up

Poey50

Visit site
If you don't need to go ashore, you can anchor at East Head, good holding, but it's likely to be crowded, then there's the public Pontoon near the top of the Emsworth channel.

At the weekend, prepare to be traumatised by the zillions of sailing dinghies - everything from keelboats with pensioners to Oppies with 8 year olds. Following colregs and keeping out of their way because you're under power is impossible because you get out of the way of first one and straight into a dozen more. Convention seems to be that you be predictable - hold your course and they'll dodge you, but I have had to to a crash stop once or twice because they either got it wrong or didn't know the convention. Then, just to add to the fun, you'll get a yacht that insists on tacking through the whole mess.
I've sailed through those fleets scores of times over the years and have never heard of a "convention" which, of course, completely ignores Col Regs. I simply motor and therefore give way to every dinghy. It's never been a problem since a boat under engine is highly manouverable.